The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 28, 2010, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Ball Out of Play

Another situation arose in our softball game last night. We play by ASA rules.

Runner on first. Batter hits a hard liner to right field for a base hit. Runner that was on first stops at second. The right fielder comes up throwing, and overthrows everyone. The ball rolls out of play. At the time of the throw, the first runner is standing on second base, and the batter/runner is on first.

Where should the runners be placed? For the record, at the pregame captain's meeting, the umpire told us that any ball out of play would garner a runner two bases.

If I remember correctly, there's a difference between a ball batted out of play, and one thrown out of play. Help?
Old Tue Sep 28, 2010, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Another situation arose in our softball game last night. We play by ASA rules.

Runner on first. Batter hits a hard liner to right field for a base hit. Runner that was on first stops at second. The right fielder comes up throwing, and overthrows everyone. The ball rolls out of play. At the time of the throw, the first runner is standing on second base, and the batter/runner is on first.

Where should the runners be placed? For the record, at the pregame captain's meeting, the umpire told us that any ball out of play would garner a runner two bases.

If I remember correctly, there's a difference between a ball batted out of play, and one thrown out of play. Help?
Why in the world did this come up at the plate conference?

2 bases from where the runner is at the time of the throw.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 28, 2010, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Some guys don't know what a plate conference is for. A guy in our association had the plate at one school and announced, "we'll make mistakes today, but we'll be trying hard the whole game." Clueless.
Old Tue Sep 28, 2010, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Agreed. I'm not even sure why it's a question, unless softball is different and the OP wants a SB answer, in which case it should be posted on the SB board.
Old Tue Sep 28, 2010, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That's what I thought, but the umpire only awarded our runners second and third. Oh well, they both ended up scoring anyways.
Old Tue Sep 28, 2010, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Agreed. I'm not even sure why it's a question, unless softball is different and the OP wants a SB answer, in which case it should be posted on the SB board.
Softball is the same on this play.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 28, 2010, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Some guys don't know what a plate conference is for. A guy in our association had the plate at one school and announced, "we'll make mistakes today, but we'll be trying hard the whole game." Clueless.
I agree. I was whitehat 2 weeks ago at a peewee game, finished the toss and handshakes and the teams were starting to break up when my partner says, "Hold on! I need the captains and the head coaches!" I'm thinking... wtf is this? He then proceeds to announce his "Big Four" things of what not to do or "I'll toss ya!" One of them was, "If you're in a pile and I tap you on the shoulder, you better not react like I'm the other team, ... or I'll toss ya!"

Complete moron.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 28, 2010, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree. I was whitehat 2 weeks ago at a peewee game, finished the toss and handshakes and the teams were starting to break up when my partner says, "Hold on! I need the captains and the head coaches!" I'm thinking... wtf is this? He then proceeds to announce his "Big Four" things of what not to do or "I'll toss ya!" One of them was, "If you're in a pile and I tap you on the shoulder, you better not react like I'm the other team, ... or I'll toss ya!"

Complete moron.

Yeah, you gotta watch those peewee players. They have no respect for authority.