The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Double play?

Anyone see this? If the runner went to second because of the original 'no catch' call, and would have returned to first had it initially been called correctly, shouldn't you allow him to go back to first when you correct the 'catch' call?

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | OAK@MIN: Gardenhire ejected for disputing double play - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyGrey View Post
Anyone see this? If the runner went to second because of the original 'no catch' call, and would have returned to first had it initially been called correctly, shouldn't you allow him to go back to first when you correct the 'catch' call?

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | OAK@MIN: Gardenhire ejected for disputing double play - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
The video doesn't show any call. U3 went out on it but that's all you can see. My guess is U3 called a catch (I thought it was a voluntary release) and the runner only saw the ball on the ground and took off for 2nd (oops).

Had the initial call been no-catch and subsequently changed, I am certain R1 would have been returned to 1st.

Last edited by dash_riprock; Tue Sep 21, 2010 at 07:04am.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

I didn't see the game, and you're right the replay does not show what is important (the umpire's initial ruling), but some people at the game say the umpire signaled "no catch" (which was Gardenhire's argument). OTOH, what fan watches the umpires, so I suspect that is something repeated instead of something actually seen...
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
The video doesn't show any call. U3 went out on it but that's all you can see. My guess is U3 called a catch (I thought it was a voluntary release) and the runner only saw the ball on the ground and took off for 2nd (oops).

Had the initial call been no-catch and subsequently changed, I am certain R1 would have been returned to 1st.
If U3 ruled it a catch, it raises a few questions:

1. First and foremost, why did U2 signal the runner safe at second? This fact alone leads me to conclude U3 ruled it a no-catch.

2. Why did Gardenhire keep making a "safe" motion, as if to indicate that's what U3 did? (Circumstantial to be sure, but persuasive when combined with the other observations.)

3. Why did the MLB Ejections site say both runners were originally called safe?

4. And not that the announcers are geniuses, but their initial call of the action was that it was dropped. Even the dopey announcers will usually notice if the umpire calls the batter out on a catch.

5. And now we hear some people at the game said it was ruled no-catch.

That's enough for me to conclude U3 ruled "no catch."
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLouBlue View Post
1. First and foremost, why did U2 signal the runner safe at second?
My guess is that he wasn't responsible for seeing if he tagged up.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

3. Why did the MLB Ejections site say both runners were originally called safe?
The captions at MLB ejections are often erroneous and/or ridiculous. I've been told that they are sometimes just taken from statements made by the announcers.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

1. First and foremost, why did U2 signal the runner safe at second? This fact alone leads me to conclude U3 ruled it a no-catch.
Possibly it was because the defense had not made an unmistakeble appeal yet. So, he was just ruling on the attempt to retire a baserunner.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 08:33pm
Stop staring at me swan.

search obstruction on MLB.com videos once...then search interference. nothing further your honor
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Possibly it was because the defense had not made an unmistakeble appeal yet. So, he was just ruling on the attempt to retire a baserunner.
Looked pretty unmistakeable to me. He was standing on the bag for a few seconds and the tag was applied with the fielder looking at the umpire. Can't tell what was said, though.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Well, now I've read that U3 may have called catch immediately followed by the transfer mechanic which must have been misinterpreted by R1 (and apparently U2 and everyone else) as a safe/no catch mechanic. That appears to be what Gardenhire is arguing in the video, giving both mechanics together illustrating how similar they are and the confusion. So, I guess the right call might have been made initially, but it doesn't appear to have been clear to anyone besides the guy who made it.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyGrey View Post
Well, now I've read that U3 may have called catch immediately followed by the transfer mechanic which must have been misinterpreted by R1 (and apparently U2 and everyone else) as a safe/no catch mechanic.
At a recent clinic, the instructors made a point to instruct us to do the "on the transfer" mechanic with your arm going upward, not outward.

As they explained it, especially with their back turned, it does look like a half-assed safe mechanic. Doing it upward, it looks like what it is, whether their back is turned or not.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Looked pretty unmistakeable to me. He was standing on the bag for a few seconds and the tag was applied with the fielder looking at the umpire. Can't tell what was said, though.
Could be. I only saw the play once on some highlight. I was just speculating as to possibilities.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Wow...you can argue that the ball fell out before the fielder reached in his glove...make the fielder complete the play fully.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
Wow...you can argue that the ball fell out before the fielder reached in his glove...make the fielder complete the play fully.
The glove was closed on the ball. He opened the glove to make it possible to reach in to get the ball.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
The glove was closed on the ball. He opened the glove to make it possible to reach in to get the ball.
I agree but I can see where the Twins manager had an argument.