The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 04:23pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Red face Embarrassing Moment

Been a little too serious here lately.....

What’s the most embarrassing thing you’ve ever witnessed at a game?

Today, I was at the Marlins vs Nationals game. In the 8th inning, with a runner on second, Nat’s pitcher Colin Balester wheeled around to make a throw or fake to second. He appeared to catch his spike in the mound and BLAM, he went down in a heap looking like a goober (sorry, but, it was hilarious). A few in our section stood up and applauded. It was hysterical. Should make the ESPN NOT Top 10 List for sure……although, with the Nats and Marlins playing, I’m not sure there were any TV cameras at the game!

Any other recent funny stories out there?
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BK47
that is good grunewar. cant say that I can remember one at this time, but if I do I'll share, either be it me or someone else.
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | FLA@WSH: Balester falls off mound on pickoff attempt - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

-Josh
Old Sun Sep 12, 2010, 05:55am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thanks for posting the link Josh.

If you listen closely, that's me you hear clapping in the background.

Good stuff!
Old Sun Sep 12, 2010, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BK47
oh thats funny stuff......

as for more humor, here is one for ya. Many years ago I was subing on a mixed softball team. I was up to bat, hit the ball and as I was leaving the batters box I slipped and fell flat on my face. Everyone started laughing and the defense was laughing so hard I was able to get myself back up and make it safely to first. Later my teammates wanted to know what happened, did I trip on my laces or what. I showed them my shoes and they were as smooth as a babies butt, I had no traction and that is why I slipped and fell. Either way I got a hit.
Old Sun Sep 12, 2010, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

GAWD, that is hilarious!

Easily one of the funniest pitcher pratfalls I have ever seen. Good call, Grunewar ... great stuff!
Old Sun Sep 12, 2010, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Thanks for posting the link Josh.

If you listen closely, that's me you hear clapping in the background.

Good stuff!
I knew that was your clap I could pick it out from anywhere

-Josh
Old Sun Sep 12, 2010, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

I did a favor for the assignor one day and took a 9 year old travel game about 15 minutes before it started. About the 4th inning a pitch hits the batter and he starts going down to first. I think nothing of it until the catcher stands up and yells "I didn't mean for you to ACTUALLY do it." Before I could react the manager of that team asks for time and both the pitcher and catcher get pulled. As the new battery is warming up I can hear him chewing them a new one. After the inning the two were forced to head over to the other team's bench and apologize for what they did.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2010, 09:24am
Archaic Power Monger

During my first year as an umpire, I was working a Little League game as the BU. I was wearing an older pair of black tennis shoes that did not have a lot of tread on them. With an R1 and me in the LL C position, the runner tried to steal on a passed ball. I ran in to cover the play, hit a loose patch of dirt and my feet slid out from under me. I went airborne and landed hard on my side just as the runner slid into 2B. Fortunately I managed to keep my eye on the play and called the runner out on the tag....while lying on the ground.

No complaining, only a lot of laughter and one embarassed teenager hustling back to the A position.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2010, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

A couple years ago I had the plate for a district tournament game. It had rained the night before, but the field was in great shape. Except for a slightly mucky spot between where PU sets up and where PU has to go to cover 3B.

Sure enough, we've got a 1st to 3rd play. I take one step on the muddy spot, and WHOOSH! My feet go out from under me like I'm in a cartoon, and I land on my but in the mud.

My partner looked around and, not seeing me at 3B, moved to cover it himself. Then he couldn't stop laughing when he finally found me.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
I ate it one night retreating back to home after rotating to third. There was a stupid astroturf ondeck circle right off of the dirt circle, just there for aesthetics. And for me to trip over, my head was turned towards the ball over my shoulder and WHAM.

Probably about 30 college umpires were in the stands. One of them brought a Tide on the go stick to the locker room after the game for me.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

This past weekend, I was at a clinic in Springfield, MO. On Sunday, each umpire was observed by instructors for 2 innings each on plate and bases. The instructors were in the press box, located behind home plate.

As one group was on the field, a batter hit a clean double. After play relaxed, one of the instructors called the PU back to talk to him. The second the PU turned his head, F6 overthrew to F1 and the runner took off for 3B. A second later, you hear "s**t" from the press box. The play was covered by BU, but it was hilarious to hear someone say what every umpire thinks in those situations.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

so embarassing...

In my first year of umpiring....I was working solo on a youth game......wearing my league issued mask and balloon.......a ground ball to F3 and I come out from the plate trying to get a good angle on the play..........

I trip over a dangling strap on the balloon and fall face first in the dusty infield.....I mean a real face-plant.........and miss the whole play....

I got up looking like a powdered donut.........

No place to hide.........
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 05:07pm
In Time Out

I gotta say the ball bouncing off Jose Canseco's head and into the stands for a home run takes the cake for most embarrassing play of all time.

BTW-Who hit the home run? His last name was Martinez, but I don't remember his first name.
Old Wed Sep 15, 2010, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

I was BU this summer for a game in a college wood bat league. We had R1 and a single hit to the outfield. I take R1 to second base and as the ball gets thrown back in, I glance over my shoulder expecting to see the PU headed back toward the home plate area since he should have been going to third for the rotation. Turns out he never got out of the dirt circle to begin with because he had face-planted as soon as the ball was hit. It was very hot so he was drenched with sweat, which turned the dirt into mud. He was absolutely covered from neck to toe.

I went and talked to him between innings and poked a little fun at him and we had a good laugh. I made sure to bring it up the next time we worked together.