The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

2 men on base

Anybody see the trail runner get tagged?

Baseball Oddities | TB@BOS: The Rays turn an odd double play in the sixth - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 08:20pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I watched this last night and initially I did not see him tagged. I have not looked at it since, but I think it was missed.

There was another play on R1 for San Diego last night that also I don't think was tagged and called out...I think it cost SD a run.
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Last edited by Sven K; Thu Sep 09, 2010 at 09:18pm. Reason: duplicate post
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

The players should be embarassed that they didn't know the rules, and the umpiring crew should be embarassed that either 1)U3 thought the trailing runned was tagged (he wasn't) or 2)U3 "automatically" had an out on the trailing runner when both occupied the base (surely he knows better).

To stand there and make no call would be difficult. I think the tendency is to make SOME sort of call. If U3 makes no call then it's likey F2 fixes his mistake and tagges the trailing runner.
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 09:55pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Didn't he make a call and actually point at the runner calling him out?

Then PU called him out again? That's how I remember seeing it...was it different in the clip you posted?
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
Anybody see the trail runner get tagged?
I saw a tag by F2 on a different replay. Bare hand to the leg of the trailing runner. Hey, even U3 saw it!
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BK47
On watching the video many times I see Patterson lying on the ground, arms stretched but not touching third base as he was trying to get back to third base while F2 touchs him for an out. I never see Martinez getting touched nor do I see both Patterson and Martinez occupying third base at the same time. How can Martinez be called out?

The third base coach should have put up more of a fight on this one. If I am missing something please tell me but I dont see how the crew got this right.

I had a very similar play a few months ago in a Men's league. Same situation with runners, B3 hits ground ball to F4, R2 breaks for third base while R3 heads for home. R3 decides to go back to third base and I have both R2 and R3 on third base as the same time. Someone on the Defense tells F2 (he had the ball) to touch R2 after doing so I point and look at R2 and call him out. Then for some unknown reason R3 steps off the base and F2 touchs him too for an inning over DP. The offense puts up a little fight saying how can that be and the same thing happened to them the night before. I explain the rule to them and think to myself (if this just happened to you last night and you still havent learned, then it sucks to be YOU).
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 08:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK47 View Post
On watching the video many times I see Patterson lying on the ground, arms stretched but not touching third base as he was trying to get back to third base while F2 touchs him for an out. I never see Martinez getting touched nor do I see both Patterson and Martinez occupying third base at the same time. How can Martinez be called out?

The third base coach should have put up more of a fight on this one. If I am missing something please tell me but I dont see how the crew got this right.

I was watching the game on the dish from a Florida feed. They showed a different replay that showed Patterson being tagged first with the mitt and then with the ball in F2's other hand, followed by F2 then also tagging Martinez on his left hip with the ball in his hand. That tag was screened by Longoria in the video posted above but the umpire was looking right at it and had a great view. Both tags plainly showed showed on the replay that I saw.

Righteous call!
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 11:11am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
I was watching the game on the dish from a Florida feed. They showed a different replay that showed Patterson being tagged first with the mitt and then with the ball in F2's other hand, followed by F2 then also tagging Martinez on his left hip with the ball in his hand. That tag was screened by Longoria in the video posted above but the umpire was looking right at it and had a great view. Both tags plainly showed showed on the replay that I saw.

Righteous call!
I disagree with this being a righteous call. Let's say for argument's sake both tags occurred. Once Patterson was tagged, Martinez has every right to occupy 3rd base. There is no way there should have been two outs on this play because Patterson never got back to the base. From all the angles I saw, Patterson never gets back to 3B.

For the record, I'm an NL fan and don't have a dog in this fight.

Last edited by RadioBlue; Fri Sep 10, 2010 at 11:12am. Reason: clarifying Patterson was off the base during the tag
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 11:30am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
I disagree with this being a righteous call. Let's say for argument's sake both tags occurred. Once Patterson was tagged, Martinez has every right to occupy 3rd base. There is no way there should have been two outs on this play because Patterson never got back to the base. From all the angles I saw, Patterson never gets back to 3B.

For the record, I'm an NL fan and don't have a dog in this fight.
Disclaimer: I'm not an umpire and I sureashell don't pretend to know the rules that well.

On the replay that I saw, Patterson was off the bag when he was tagged and Martinez was standing on the bag when he was tagged next.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Disclaimer: I'm not an umpire and I sureashell don't pretend to know the rules that well.

On the replay that I saw, Patterson was off the bag when he was tagged and Martinez was standing on the bag when he was tagged next.
Once one of them is tagged off the bag, the other has the right to the bag. (the rule only comes into play if both runners are on the base -- the base belongs to the preceeding runner, unless that runner is forced.)

I didn't see the play, and don't know who is who in the play.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Jurassic, if Patterson was indeed off the bag when he was tagged first as you say (which keep in mind I totally agree) then how can you think this is a Rightous call to have Martinez tagged out AFTER Patterson was tagged for the out off the bag? Martinez had every right to the bag once Patterson was out.
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 06:13am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK47 View Post
Jurassic, if Patterson was indeed off the bag when he was tagged first as you say (which keep in mind I totally agree) then how can you think this is a Rightous call to have Martinez tagged out AFTER Patterson was tagged for the out off the bag? Martinez had every right to the bag once Patterson was out.
Because I didn't know the complete rule when I first posted.

As I said, I ain't an umpire. I'm a beisbol fanboy.
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

It's not clear to me what happened on this play. After F2 tagged both runners, Jim Wolf (U3) pointed at R2 and signalled out. That's consistent with the rule: since R3 is still entitled to 3B, if they're both on the base then R2 is out.

But then R3 takes off for home, and before he's tagged Wolf is pointing at HIM and signaling out (you can read his lips, "he's out too!"). Wolf has him out before the PU bangs him out.

Why is he out too? When was he tagged? Couldn't have been before the tag of R2, or R2 would have been safe. That was odd.
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Jurassic, what does a rule have to do with this particular play?

As you said, and the video clearly shows, Martinez was already on third base as Patterson was going back to third, however BEFORE Patterson makes it back to third he trips and falls and F2 tags him on the back (may have been the leg but I think it was the back) with the ball in his right hand. That is an out. Even you said you saw this and said that Patterson never retouchs third base. How can you have two people on the same base when it never happened? Even after Patterson got up to head back to the dugout (if you look closely and read his reaction even he thought he was out) he never touchs third base even as a precautionary measure. But that shouldnt matter as F2 had already tagged him for the out. But the umpires blew the call in my opinion and Patterson figures why not, I will try to score anyway, and they, the umpires, let the play continue. Why?

So with that, my questions still remains:

1. How is this a Righteous call?
2. Why is Martinez out?
3. Why didnt the third base coach put up more of a fight as he was there to witness the whole play? (maybe because he didnt know the rule? could be but how can the rule come into effect when still the point is there were never two people on the base at the same time)

If someone sees something that I dont please tell me but I clearly see Patterson getting tagged BEFORE he retouchs third base.