Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Plus, they're much closer at 46'.
The distance has (almost) nothing to do with the force the ball imparts. 70 mph is 70 mph, whether thrown from 46', 60', 250'

(Clarification: A ball thrown at 70 mph from 250' will slow down more than a ball thrown at 70 mph from 46'. So, by the time the ball hits the target, it will be moving slower and impart less force. Someone else can do the math. The difference between 46' and 60' is not going to be significant from a practical matter in this case.)
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
How do you get knocked cold by a Little Leaguer?

Some of these 'kids' are bigger than the umpires.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

What kind of chest protector.

From the replay, it looked like it was a pitch that was fouled back and bounced off the chest protector upward and caught him in the jaw. I can see why he went down. He will be back doing another game tonight.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

It appeared that the ball hit him in the side of the neck. The ball hit him on the sholder and deflected to his neck. They showed the replay again today... the umpire actually verbalized "foul" before hitting the deck. I had a varsity catcher this year block a ball in the dirt (he was wearing a HSM by the way...) the ball hit him in the neck, he stood up to get the ball and dropped like a ton of bricks. He was out cold.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

I just saw a replay and it looks like the ball got in under the throat protector and hit him in the throat.
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 12:02am
M.A.S.H.

Several of the umpires have taken shots. Sometimes the ball is going to find you; however, it's very important to wear pro gear. That way when the ball hits where it's suppose to you are protected.
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Some of those kids are throwing in the mid 70's, which is about the speed a lot of high school varsity pitchers throw. Plus, they're much closer at 46'.

The pitches are shown being equated at over 90 mph at the shorter distance.
Steven do you understand when the use "equivalent speeds" they are talking about reaction time of the batter? It has nothing to do with speed at all.

----

I happened to be watching this game when it happened. The umpire appeared to have the ball deflect off his chest protector and hit him in the throat/jaw area. It could have happened to a lot of us but this guy was on TV.

-Josh
Old Sat Aug 28, 2010, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Rise Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The distance has (almost) nothing to do with the force the ball imparts. 70 mph is 70 mph, whether thrown from 46', 60', 250'

(Clarification: A ball thrown at 70 mph from 250' will slow down more than a ball thrown at 70 mph from 46'. So, by the time the ball hits the target, it will be moving slower and impart less force. Someone else can do the math. The difference between 46' and 60' is not going to be significant from a practical matter in this case.)
Some folks can fire a cannon that appears to float though the air for longer periods of time than others thrown at the very same speed. Gravity and spin can't explain it all, but drag and lift can.

Now assuming both balls will come to a stop, some folks will say the two balls slow down the same amount, 70mph to 0 mph. But I know what you mean about their deceleration.

In related news, Reds prospect clocked at 105 mph.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...urn=mlb-265783

Last edited by SAump; Sun Aug 29, 2010 at 08:58am.
Old Sat Aug 28, 2010, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

I think a pitch does lose significant velocity over those added 14 feet (from 46' to 60'). I can only guess how much, but even a 10 percent reduction would greatly affect the force at contact.

I'm puzzled at the mph estimates, too. Aren't change-ups in MLB in the 70s? (When the catcher flips the ball back to the pitcher, the scoreboard still shows speed in the 50s or 60s.) I thought that while 90 mph might be a decent fastball, 80 mph was just batting practice.
Old Sat Aug 28, 2010, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

greymule,

On average, a pitch will lose 1 mph for every 7' it travels.

JM
Old Sat Aug 28, 2010, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

On average, a pitch will lose 1 mph for every 7' it travels.

Good to know. Thank you.
Old Sat Aug 28, 2010, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Okay rocket surgeons, let me put a bottom line on this one.

It really doesn't matter the speed of the ball hitting your chest. I got my heart rhythm messed with when getting nailed wearing my waffle protector in a 9/10 game. Little kids almost killed me.

Wear pro gear, and make sure it fits you properly.

Over and out.

Me, I'll wear my Platinum until the new All Star comes out. Although the Schutt looks interesting.

Last edited by kylejt; Sun Aug 29, 2010 at 09:31am.
Old Sun Aug 29, 2010, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Growing up, when considering careers, I couldn't decide between rocket surgeon and brain scientist and ended up becoming neither.

For what it's worth, I had a more of a problem than most umps with getting hit on the top of the shoulder. Maybe I lean forward more. I found the All-Star to give the best shoulder protection (next to my old 1969 balloon).

Before radar guns, the U.S. Army set up elaborate measuring devices and timed Bob Feller at 98.6 mph (average, not fastest) speed across the 60-foot distance.
Old Sun Aug 29, 2010, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know so someone tell me. At what point does a radar gun measure the speed, when it leaves the pitchers hand, or when it arrives at the plate, or just some average in between?

Difference between 60.5' and 46' would, I think, be miniscule.

It is all fairly irrelevant, because it appears the ump was hit in the neck ultimately.
Old Sun Aug 29, 2010, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

I worked the gun for several summers of scout ball, and I worked the gun for a handful of D-I games this year. So I've gunned about 200 college pitchers and college prospect pitchers who threw as high as 98 m.p.h., and generally lived in the high 80s/low 90s.

When you aim it from a low angle, you get your reading near his release point. But when you aim it from a high angle, you can put it where you want it. When a guy who throws 90 m.p.h. lets it fly, it's going 90 out of his hand and for the first few feet. But at the 30 ft. mark, you can register an 87 or 88 on the same pitch that the guy next to you registers a 90 out of his hand. At a point approximately eight or 10 feet in front of the plate, it's 85 or 86. So, that would mean a 90-m.p.h. fastball is traveling at about 84 or 85 when it reaches the plate.

A two-seam fastball breaks down faster. I clocked a guy this year who throws a two-seam hard sinker that clocks at 91 and 92 consistently. It's going 83 or 84 when it reaches the area in front of the plate.

So, based on those experiences, a high-velocity fastball slows down on average about one m.p.h. every 10 feet, but it's obviously slowing down more in the last 30 than the first 30.

The gun measures it as it breaks through the beam, and it is solely dependent on where it's pointed.

Also, there are occasions when you aim it too close to the hitting zone and you register the bat. A college level stud swings a bat 110 m.p.h. or more on their best cuts.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Sun Aug 29, 2010 at 11:08pm.