The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   What kind of chest protector... (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/58906-what-kind-chest-protector.html)

Toadman15241 Mon Aug 23, 2010 06:32pm

What kind of chest protector...

...allows for an ump to be knocked cold like that?

UmpJM Mon Aug 23, 2010 06:40pm

Toadman,

WTF are you talking about?

JM

Toadman15241 Mon Aug 23, 2010 06:46pm

LLWS game. PU got hit by a foul ball in clavicle and was KO'd. If you watch the slow mo replay its clear as day he lost consciousness. Seriously, the first report from the EMT was that he had a pulse. He didn't move for about a minute but then finally came to and was able to start talking. A few minutes later he was helped off the field.

Welpe Mon Aug 23, 2010 06:51pm

Either a poor fitting one, a cheap one or both.

UmpJM Mon Aug 23, 2010 07:07pm

Heck, it could have been a West Vest Platinum if he wasn't wearing it right.

JM

kylejt Mon Aug 23, 2010 07:23pm

An ill-fitting hardshell of some sort. A lesson to us all ( at his expense ).

Lock into your position, and see what bony parts are exposed. Then cover them. It's great to have pro gear, but you really need it adjusted properly for it to work.

UmpJM Mon Aug 23, 2010 07:42pm

And I don't believe a collarbone hit knocked him out. I haven't seen it, but it must have gotten him in the neck or something too.

JM

Steven Tyler Mon Aug 23, 2010 07:58pm

I can remember back when I was playing what we called Little League, we were having some batting practice and one of my teammates got hit on the elbow with a pitch. The pitch wasn't very hard, but he blacked out for about a minute.

johnnyg08 Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:28pm

Pro-Nine?

Any luck at finding a video clip?

yawetag Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toadman15241 (Post 689761)
...allows for an ump to be knocked cold like that?

I may be the minority, but I'm not watching the LL games. To post as if all of us are commenting pitch-by-pitch only causes confusion.

kylejt Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 689831)
I may be the minority, but I'm not watching the LL games. To post as if all of us are commenting pitch-by-pitch only causes confusion.

Thanks for letting us know what you're not doing. Keep us posted.

yawetag Tue Aug 24, 2010 04:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 689834)
Thanks for letting us know what you're not doing. Keep us posted.

The point is that the OP is so vague that it took someone asking what he meant for any reasonable answer to be given. How hard would it have been for him to mention LLWS somewhere in his post, instead of making a statement that assumes we were either watching what he was watching or reading his mind?

Kevin Finnerty Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:41am

How do you get knocked cold by a Little Leaguer?

jicecone Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:14am

I am not so sure he got knocked out cold but, I remember saying to my wife that that, was a similar shot that I took last year and convinced me to get a West Vest.

The ball seemed to get behind his throat protector and it wasn't clear what it hit.

Steven Tyler Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 689881)
How do you get knocked cold by a Little Leaguer?

Some of those kids are throwing in the mid 70's, which is about the speed a lot of high school varsity pitchers throw. Plus, they're much closer at 46'.

The pitches are shown being equated at over 90 mph at the shorter distance.