The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
The batter could have made some attempt...it is a curve ball and it looks like he is a smart batter and lets it hit him...it is a 1-0 game.
Actually it was one of doz dere political conspiracies. The Taliban are trying to take over LL players and then do one of does mind changing experiments on dem. This year baseball, next year bomb carrying terrorist..

Get the LL officials to change their call and next thing you know they will be running for President and building religious sites on existing LL fields and then wanting to take over Babe Ruth and Pony baseball.

Got some land in Florida for sale, interested?
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Not even close.
1) The pitch was in the batter's box, where it dosen't belong. Bater's box belongs to the batter,
2) Watch the video again (Part 1), as the pitch comes in the batter starts to lower his stance (watch his knees) as he can see it's going to be a low pitch
and that if he's going to swing at it he's going to have to "go down and get it."
I disagree. Being in the batters box does not eliminate the requirement for a batter to make a reasonable attempt to get out of the way of the pitch as I understand the rule. I'm not claiming that I would have made that ruling, but I do think a legitimate case could be made for making such a call. I will always give the batter the benefit of the doubt if they turn, lean, etc. but I don't feel that this batter necessarily did any of these actions.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

The pitch was down in the dirt.
His "move" was he started to lower his stance to go down to get the pitch...his initial instinct was to hit the ball.
This sitch was not an example of a batter not making a reasonable effort to aviod a HBP.
As bad as a cluster flub this sitch was 4 umps, 2 of them what...75 ft. away and they can't see an HBP, and then the ensuing "oh let's go to the video replay" by the meddling, all knowing, lets inject ourselves into the umpiring of the game, LLBB Eastern Region administrative and UIC staff, all you have is a missed call. Going with the other call you have a bad application of a rule.

Last edited by KJUmp; Wed Aug 18, 2010 at 03:13pm.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 03:01pm
Stop staring at me swan.

using Papa C's words, only Smitty calls the hitter back for not moving on that pitch...$hitty end of the stick there fellas. No way, no how, (assuming you have a hit by pitch) do you keep the batter batting on that pitch.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The umpire told him that he just wanted to get the call correct.

There was the root of the problem.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFANDUMP View Post
I disagree. Being in the batters box does not eliminate the requirement for a batter to make a reasonable attempt to get out of the way of the pitch as I understand the rule. I'm not claiming that I would have made that ruling, but I do think a legitimate case could be made for making such a call. I will always give the batter the benefit of the doubt if they turn, lean, etc. but I don't feel that this batter necessarily did any of these actions.
I can't believe you really have been doing this for a long time.

The umpire (the guy behind the catcher, not the replay official) didn't even see the ball hit the player, let alone, hit him on purpose.

Do you also brush off the bases?
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
I can't believe you really have been doing this for a long time.

The umpire (the guy behind the catcher, not the replay official) didn't even see the ball hit the player, let alone, hit him on purpose.

Do you also brush off the bases?
WHAT DID I SAY THAT DESERVED THIS SMART A** RESPONSE FROM YOU !!! I stated that I PROBABLY WOULD NOT HAVE MADE THIS CALL however am I incorrect in saying that a batter must make a reasonable attempt to avoid being hit by a pitch ???

F.Y.I. ... I have been umpiring a long time (over 30 years to be exact). I think I have some clue about the game !!!
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Lets start off with the fact that you would even CONSIDER making that call at all, then take it one step further and post the consideration.

I will just let the facts speak for theirself.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Four umpires and none of them saw this? I'm sorry, but this is just poor umpiring. So now, LL is going to try and get every call right by having "board meetings" with each other and then meeting with the "mystery man" behind the back stop? This is a joke! All of this is because of poor training, poor organization and the "need" to keep everyone happy.

This is baseball! Okay, it's LL, but it's still baseball! Umpires are supposed to make decisions and judgement calls. The calls may not be popular and they may not even be correct but that is how the game is supposed to be run. And don't give me that "trying to get the call right" crap because if you really want to go down that road, why not have a do-over because the base coach made a mistake in telling the runner to go? Yeah, and let's have a do-over because F7 dropped the catch. He really tried, so let's do the play over or better yet, record the out! The kid made a great attempt so why take the catch away just because he dropped the ball!
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Lets start off with the fact that you would even CONSIDER making that call at all, then take it one step further and post the consideration.

I will just let the facts speak for theirself.
According to the rules, a case could be made for making that call. I agree with you that I would not have based on how far that pitch was off the plate. The point of my original post however, was that (for the sake of discussion) if the umpire ruled that the batter didn't make a reasonable attempt to avoid the pitch, would the replay official be able to reverse the umpires decision ??? I would think not, but was throwing this out as a question.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 04:38pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Please show me where the word "reasonable" is written in the rule book regarding hit by pitch. Take your time. Quit making up rules.

With all due respect sir, length of time umpiring doesn't tell me anything about how well you can umpire.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

JMHO, but if the ball's in the dirt, or the feet, the batter does not have to avoid that one. I actually want them to get hit on those, as it won't be hitting me. No one is going to intentionally let the ball hit them in the ankles/feet. It's not like taking one off the arm or shoulder.

Take your base, son.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
The batter could have made some attempt...it is a curve ball and it looks like he is a smart batter and lets it hit him...it is a 1-0 game.
YGTBSM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
JMHO, but if the ball's in the dirt, or the feet, the batter does not have to avoid that one. I actually want them to get hit on those, as it won't be hitting me.
For the win!!

"The prompt and correct judgements of the honorable umpire elicited applause from the members of both clubs, and their thanks are tendered to him for the gentlemanly manner in which he acquitted himself of that onerous duty." - Niagara Indexensis, May 20th 1872
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, sometimes 30 years experience is 30 years experience. Other times it's 1 year of experience repeated 30 times.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Aug 19, 2010, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

The whole issue is not whether or not the batter was HBP. The umpires didn't call that, and the video doesn't show very good evidence either. What has gotten everyone stirred up is the fact that the call was overruled by someone outside the fence. LL did implement a replay system for the World Series in Williamsport only. As you can hear in part 2 the DAC makes that statement. The other $h!+storm is the original statement by LL that the umpire asked them for help. As you can see in the video, the PU has the batter in the box and is ready to play ball when you hear him tell the batter to back out. Then he turns around and then goes to the screen. It was originally spun that PU went to the screen on his own and asked for help. As you can see in mbcrowder's posts, the truth is finally beginning to come out.