The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 05:41am
Official Forum Member

Called out for Missing Third

Did anyone see the Reds player miss (or touch) third bases going from 1st to home on a double? He was called out on an appeal that he missed third base. Jerry Layne called him out from behind home plate...replays show it was way to close to call especially from behind home plate. If we are not 100% sure and are in great position feel free not to punch the guy out.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 08:55am
Stop staring at me swan.

Careful...on that type of play PU might have been up the line at 3B...he was simply back behind home plate when they did the appeal.

I highly doubt MLB umpires would've left 3B completely uncovered...I'm pretty sure PU was in great position to see the miss.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Just another plug for no instant replay. You're right - you don't make this call unless you KNOW it. Therefore, PU KNEW it. Replay didn't show it - obviously PU had a better angle than cameras.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
replays show it was way to close to call especially from behind home plate.
BS. Replay can show only that replay didn't have a good angle to see the miss. You can make that call from 120 feet if you have the right angle and see daylight between foot and bag.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
BS. Replay can show only that replay didn't have a good angle to see the miss. You can make that call from 120 feet if you have the right angle and see daylight between foot and bag.
Did you see the reply? It actually looks like he hits the inside of the bag. I am only going to call that if I am 150% sure he missed it.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Careful...on that type of play PU might have been up the line at 3B...he was simply back behind home plate when they did the appeal.

I highly doubt MLB umpires would've left 3B completely uncovered...I'm pretty sure PU was in great position to see the miss.
When is the last time you saw Jerry Layne hustle out from behind home plate? He had to stay because of the potential runner scoring.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

The 3rd base umpire went out to rule on a possible fan interference call...Layne was at the plate.

Here is he video:

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | CIN@ARI: Janish's homer puts Cincy on top in seventh - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 11:40am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
When is the last time you saw Jerry Layne hustle out from behind home plate? He had to stay because of the potential runner scoring.
Never, I don't know Jerry Layne if he was sitting in my living room.

Why would the MLB umpires rule any different than how we're saying that we would on this play (ie, "150% sure that he missed it") without talking to them, it would be safe to say that they'd agree w/ that philosophy unless somebody else can prove that philosophy to be wrong.

I will never call anybody out on a missed base appeal unless I'm 100% sure it was a missed base.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Never, I don't know Jerry Layne if he was sitting in my living room.

Why would the MLB umpires rule any different than how we're saying that we would on this play (ie, "150% sure that he missed it") without talking to them, it would be safe to say that they'd agree w/ that philosophy unless somebody else can prove that philosophy to be wrong.

I will never call anybody out on a missed base appeal unless I'm 100% sure it was a missed base.
If you can watch the real time video from 100 feet away and tell me that you are 100% sure he missed the base I will agree with you. But after watching the play in slow motion I still can't tell if he touched it our not...it is that close.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 11:46am
Stop staring at me swan.

From what I can see, he was lined up 3blx and looking right at R2 for the touch. Yes, he was over 100' away from the touch, so R2 must have missed it by a lot. As soon as F1 stepped off to execute the appeal, he knew he had the call, stepped toward 3B and banged him out. As others have stated, replay is inconclusive. Assuming they're going to use replay for this type of thing, they're going to need overhead cameras at each base to give them a respectable angle that can't be obtained by an umpire at field level.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The 3rd base umpire went out to rule on a possible fan interference call...Layne was at the plate.

Here is he video:

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | CIN@ARI: Janish's homer puts Cincy on top in seventh - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Both reply angles were horrible, one from the foul side of third and the other from first. Neither could show a miss less than a foot.

However, Layne had the view straight up the baseline and saw the miss clearly. He apparently used the same criteria you use and called the out.

Last edited by MrUmpire; Wed Aug 18, 2010 at 11:53am.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
From what I can see, he was lined up 3blx and looking right at R2 for the touch. Yes, he was over 100' away from the touch, so R2 must have missed it by a lot. As soon as F1 stepped off to execute the appeal, he knew he had the call, stepped toward 3B and banged him out. As others have stated, replay is inconclusive. Assuming they're going to use replay for this type of thing, they're going to need overhead cameras at each base to give them a respectable angle that can't be obtained by an umpire at field level.
If this play was reviewed by the NFL it was not have been overturned...is the evidence conclusive? Did you watch the video? If he misses the bag, and I am not saying he did, it is not by a lot.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 11:53am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
If you can watch the real time video from 100 feet away and tell me that you are 100% sure he missed the base I will agree with you. But after watching the play in slow motion I still can't tell if he touched it our not...it is that close.
I get your point, but neither camera angle was from the same angle as Layne so it's an unfair comparison. I can't tell from the camera angles either, but Layne was in proper position to see the touch/miss. Was there another place he could've been to still see the touch at home plate? I don't know 4 man mechanics.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 11:55am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
If this play was reviewed by the NFL it was not have been overturned...is the evidence conclusive? Did you watch the video? If he misses the bag, and I am not saying he did, it is not by a lot.
You're right, I'll amend my post by saying that I'd guarantee you that Layne called what he saw which was the runner missing the base, either by a foot or by an inch...point being, he saw him miss the base and properly called him out on appeal.

cameras are inconclusive so it wouldn't have been overturned on any type of replay...same as the NFL as I think you stated above.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I get your point, but neither camera angle was from the same angle as Layne so it's an unfair comparison. I can't tell from the camera angles either, but Layne was in proper position to see the touch/miss. Was there another place he could've been to still see the touch at home plate? I don't know 4 man mechanics.
I think Layne was in the proper spot and the 2nd base umpire had the batter-runner going into 2nd.