The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Tossin' 'em at Camden!

Did you see Wiggington get wigged out? Darling and Hohn are bagging and taggin'!!!
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 08:08pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Yep...Darling missed the call, but man did he blow a gasket on Darling.

Then they must have gone back to the clubhouse to watch the replay leading to the other EJ's.

Good times!
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Wiggington is 100% wrong to bump the umpire and obviously will/should get fined. In addition to that, something has to be done about these crap calls on obvious calls.

Is it just me or are they missing an amazing number of EASY calls? How does he miss this call? The tag was on the hand closest to Darling (left hand) and he got him by a lot.

To name a few other horrific ones in recent days

This one was almost as bad as the one from a couple of weeks ago where the Giants 3B taqgged a guy out from the Mariners that had given up and stopped running(the seeds sticking out of the pocket incident)

The Tigers had Josh Hamilton out diving into first-his hand slid right into the first baseman's shoe a few days ago.

A couple of nights ago, the crew in the Dodgers game did not know the rule about two visits in an inning. I knew the rule watching that game live and, oh by the way...I am not a professional umpire. MLB umpires should literally have the book memorized.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
The Tigers had Josh Hamilton out diving into first-his hand slid right into the first baseman's shoe a few days ago.
So his hand was on F3's shoe (and not the base) when he was tagged? If I mis-read your post, I apologize -- I don't know of this situation.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 06:49am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
This one was almost as bad as the one from a couple of weeks ago where the Giants 3B taqgged a guy out from the Mariners that had given up and stopped running(the seeds sticking out of the pocket incident)
I know you're arguing principle, so I hesitated writing anything...but I think that call went against the Twins not the Giants...but there may have been another play you're referring to.

I think the "all of the missed calls" is a myth. The camera coverage and the media coverage is better so it seems like there are more misses. There have always been missed calls

That's what makes MLB umpiring so difficult. Every single call you make gets replayed over and over again in super slow motion and the regular fan who's never umpired thinks you're terrible because they "saw on replay that he was clearly safe"

Stupid.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 07:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

Back in the old days, before every play had 20 replays and angles, Darling would've just called the runner out regardless of whether there was a tag and life would've gone on. Like many of us do in our games now.

Sure, he missed it. But the only reason they have to see whether a glove gets a finger is because they get flambeed every time they make what used to be an expected call if that call isn't "right."
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 07:57am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Back in the old days, before every play had 20 replays and angles, Darling would've just called the runner out regardless of whether there was a tag and life would've gone on. Like many of us do in our games now."
Kevin Blackistone said it well (below).......
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Three Orioles ejected in wild seventh inning | orioles.com: News
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 08:33am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
"The crowd of 20,108 issued a loud chorus of boos for several moments following the play and the tension continued to build at Camden Yards."

Actually, a pretty nice sized crowd for Camden Yards.......and usually not that much excitiment or anything to cheer/boo about.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
That's what makes MLB umpiring so difficult. Every single call you make gets replayed over and over again in super slow motion and the regular fan who's never umpired thinks you're terrible because they "saw on replay that he was clearly safe"
Not to mention that only the bad calls are shown over and over.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
So his hand was on F3's shoe (and not the base) when he was tagged? If I mis-read your post, I apologize -- I don't know of this situation.
I did not explain it all that well.

It was a line drive to ss and t they had him doubled off. He dove back and the replay f(even at full speed) showed Hamilton being tagged because his hand was on the 1B 's foot.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I did not explain it all that well.

It was a line drive to ss and t they had him doubled off. He dove back and the replay f(even at full speed) showed Hamilton being tagged because his hand was on the 1B 's foot.
And he was called safe, I presume? Now that re-read your initial post on it, it makes sense. I originally thought you said "He was called out, but his hand was on the foot."
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A couple of nights ago, the crew in the Dodgers game did not know the rule about two visits in an inning. I knew the rule watching that game live and, oh by the way...I am not a professional umpire. MLB umpires should literally have the book memorized.
”No, no, no!” Mattingly heard plate umpire Adrian Johnson shout. ”You can’t go back.”

By then, however, Mattingly had covered the two steps back onto the mound.

Sounds like they were on it to me. Alot of the confusion was over if it was an emergency as defined in the rulebook to allow for as many warmup pitches as deemed necessary.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger49 View Post
[I]”No, no, no!” Mattingly heard plate umpire Adrian Johnson shout. ”You can’t go back.”
Johnson nailed that. Mattingly heard him, but probably didn't have time to process it in the 2 steps it took him to get back to the dirt. Or he just ignored it.

IMO, that's not bad at all for a fill-in who had already had an extremely rough night (pitchers hitting batters, warning dugouts, tossing Joe Torre, etc.).
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

I'm a Twins fan, but that's a horrible call. I can't believe MLB stands behind these guys when they miss calls like that !!!