The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

FED: Catch or Homerun?

Interesting situation in a state sectional final game relayed by a fellow umpire. Batter hits a ball to deep center field, F8 leaps backwards (feet in play when he leaps), ball in the glove, falls backwards through the fence (snow fence) and holds the ball up beyond the fence to show he maintained possession. The ruling was a catch.

From what I was told, the offensive manager argued two points: Since the fielder's feet landed beyond the fence it should have been a homerun and the second point which was argued was that a player cannot move or make contact with a snow fence to make a catch.

Was this the correct call?
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Seems pretty simple to me-- yes, it's a catch.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup View Post
Interesting situation in a state sectional final game relayed by a fellow umpire. Batter hits a ball to deep center field, F8 leaps backwards (feet in play when he leaps), ball in the glove, falls backwards through the fence (snow fence) and holds the ball up beyond the fence to show he maintained possession. The ruling was a catch.

From what I was told, the offensive manager argued two points: Since the fielder's feet landed beyond the fence it should have been a homerun and the second point which was argued was that a player cannot move or make contact with a snow fence to make a catch.

Unless he extended the field by stepping on the snow fence (sounds like he didn't), it's a catch and carry. Batter is out, runners (if any) move up one.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup View Post

What's a snow fence? On a regular fence, if fielder jumps up from the field of play, catches the ball, lands on the other side, and still has the ball and can demonstrate voluntary release, that would be a catch.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Does that also apply to a tumbleweed fence? Because I had a ...
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 11:13pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Does that also apply to a tumbleweed fence? Because I had a ...
Probably not too many snow fences in So Cal huh?
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 11:18pm
Archaic Power Monger

Snow Fence:

Johnny, you'd be surprised. There are mountains in Southern California with snow and plenty of skiing and snowboarding.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 11:20pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Snow Fence:

Johnny, you'd be surprised. There are mountains in Southern California with snow and plenty of skiing and snowboarding.
I'll take your word for it. Only been to Pac Beach. I stand corrected!
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

We call that a temporary fence around here. What is snow about it?

Catch a ball and fall through it and have voluntary release on the other side and it's a catch. I think runners would advance one, if there were any and less than 2 out.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

It's a temporary plastic fence that is used for barricadeing areas and ls also used in areas to prevent drifting snow from building up where you don't want it. Like on the highway vs off the highway. Some peolple just call it a "snow fence" and some just call it a temporary fence. When not erected or maintained properly in the outfield it can cause problems in ruling catch or no catch.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

"Real" snow fence is wooden pickets, not plastic. Plastic would fall over too easily.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Never liked them. I think fences should be taller than the players to be non-hazardous.

Many moons ago we played 12 year old games on a field designed for older kids, about 280 down the lines and 300 straight away. We did not bother with temp fences. There were no over the fence HRs, but quite a few that were inside the park. It was a lot of fun watching outfielders and runners run on a line drive in the gap, and no one complained about no fence.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
"Real" snow fence is wooden pickets, not plastic. Plastic would fall over too easily.
True. To those of us who live where snow fences are all too common, they look like this:

Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 11:53pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Couple things.

First, there is still snow on the moutains in California. At least in the Central VAlley where I am at.

Second, you would be surprised how sturdy those fences are for keeping snow back. When installed properly.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2010, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl View Post
Couple things.

First, there is still snow on the moutains in California. At least in the Central VAlley where I am at.

Second, you would be surprised how sturdy those fences are for keeping snow back. When installed properly.
I've seen that snow. Flimsy plastic probably holds it back.

Try one of our winters with the snow storms coming in off Lake Ontario and Lake Erie. Those plastic fences don't hold up. They really don't.

However, they are more forgiving and safer in a collision, which is why they are used more frequently and replaced more frequently, in ski areas.

Last edited by MrUmpire; Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 12:28am.