The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   FED: Catch or Homerun? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/58279-fed-catch-homerun.html)

njdevs00cup Tue Jun 01, 2010 08:11pm

FED: Catch or Homerun?

Interesting situation in a state sectional final game relayed by a fellow umpire. Batter hits a ball to deep center field, F8 leaps backwards (feet in play when he leaps), ball in the glove, falls backwards through the fence (snow fence) and holds the ball up beyond the fence to show he maintained possession. The ruling was a catch.

From what I was told, the offensive manager argued two points: Since the fielder's feet landed beyond the fence it should have been a homerun and the second point which was argued was that a player cannot move or make contact with a snow fence to make a catch.

Was this the correct call?

newera21 Tue Jun 01, 2010 08:19pm

Seems pretty simple to me-- yes, it's a catch.

dash_riprock Tue Jun 01, 2010 08:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevs00cup (Post 679589)
Interesting situation in a state sectional final game relayed by a fellow umpire. Batter hits a ball to deep center field, F8 leaps backwards (feet in play when he leaps), ball in the glove, falls backwards through the fence (snow fence) and holds the ball up beyond the fence to show he maintained possession. The ruling was a catch.

From what I was told, the offensive manager argued two points: Since the fielder's feet landed beyond the fence it should have been a homerun and the second point which was argued was that a player cannot move or make contact with a snow fence to make a catch.

Unless he extended the field by stepping on the snow fence (sounds like he didn't), it's a catch and carry. Batter is out, runners (if any) move up one.

DG Tue Jun 01, 2010 09:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevs00cup (Post 679589)

What's a snow fence? On a regular fence, if fielder jumps up from the field of play, catches the ball, lands on the other side, and still has the ball and can demonstrate voluntary release, that would be a catch.

Kevin Finnerty Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:12pm

Does that also apply to a tumbleweed fence? Because I had a ...

johnnyg08 Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 679603)
Does that also apply to a tumbleweed fence? Because I had a ...

Probably not too many snow fences in So Cal huh?

Welpe Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:18pm

Snow Fence:

http://www.nordicfence.com/siteimages/snow%20fence.jpg

Johnny, you'd be surprised. There are mountains in Southern California with snow and plenty of skiing and snowboarding.

johnnyg08 Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 679613)
Snow Fence:

http://www.nordicfence.com/siteimages/snow%20fence.jpg

Johnny, you'd be surprised. There are mountains in Southern California with snow and plenty of skiing and snowboarding.

I'll take your word for it. Only been to Pac Beach. I stand corrected!

DG Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:24pm

We call that a temporary fence around here. What is snow about it?

Catch a ball and fall through it and have voluntary release on the other side and it's a catch. I think runners would advance one, if there were any and less than 2 out.

jicecone Wed Jun 02, 2010 09:06am

It's a temporary plastic fence that is used for barricadeing areas and ls also used in areas to prevent drifting snow from building up where you don't want it. Like on the highway vs off the highway. Some peolple just call it a "snow fence" and some just call it a temporary fence. When not erected or maintained properly in the outfield it can cause problems in ruling catch or no catch.

Rich Ives Wed Jun 02, 2010 09:37am

"Real" snow fence is wooden pickets, not plastic. Plastic would fall over too easily.

DG Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:54pm

Never liked them. I think fences should be taller than the players to be non-hazardous.

Many moons ago we played 12 year old games on a field designed for older kids, about 280 down the lines and 300 straight away. We did not bother with temp fences. There were no over the fence HRs, but quite a few that were inside the park. It was a lot of fun watching outfielders and runners run on a line drive in the gap, and no one complained about no fence.

MrUmpire Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 679661)
"Real" snow fence is wooden pickets, not plastic. Plastic would fall over too easily.

True. To those of us who live where snow fences are all too common, they look like this:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:T...ages/fence.jpg

w_sohl Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:53pm

Couple things.

First, there is still snow on the moutains in California. At least in the Central VAlley where I am at.

Second, you would be surprised how sturdy those fences are for keeping snow back. When installed properly.

MrUmpire Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by w_sohl (Post 679865)
Couple things.

First, there is still snow on the moutains in California. At least in the Central VAlley where I am at.

Second, you would be surprised how sturdy those fences are for keeping snow back. When installed properly.

I've seen that snow. Flimsy plastic probably holds it back.

Try one of our winters with the snow storms coming in off Lake Ontario and Lake Erie. Those plastic fences don't hold up. They really don't.

However, they are more forgiving and safer in a collision, which is why they are used more frequently and replaced more frequently, in ski areas.