The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BK47
Interference or Not?

Saw this in a travel league game the other night.

Situation: No outs, R1 on third, RHB in the box with 3-2 count.

Play: Batter receives ball four, ball hits the dirt in the LHB's box, catcher moves over to block the ball. As the catcher blocks the ball, the ball bounces forward. Umpire tells Batter its ball four and to take his base. While the batter starts to leave the box, R1 sneaks down third base line as if to steal home, catcher quickly gets the ball and trys to throw down to third however the batter, as he is leaving the box on his way to first, is in his way. R1 goes back to third in the failed attempt to pick him off.

In this case, since the batter was awarded first on ball four, is he protected from batter interference as he was trying to go to first?
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Not exactly, but this isn't interference. Batter is no longer a batter after an award. Interference with a thrown ball (except for running lane violations) required intent. No intent here... no interference.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

First of all, the catcher had a chance to field the ball cleanly and blew it. As long as the batter was doing what he was supposed to, going to first base, then all you have is two people meeting at the same place on the diamond. Unless interference is intentional in that situation, then there is nothing.

This is NOT the same as runner interference where the runner has to avoid the fielder.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BK47
Thats what I thought, thanks guys. At first I thought Interference but than thought about it a minute.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Similar Situation

I had a roughly similar situation in a HS game about a month ago. R1 on 2nd breaks for 3rd on ball in the dirt. Pitch is ball four and BR leaves box to take base. Ball is blocked by the catcher but bounces to the front of the left batter's box where it is unintentionally kicked by BR. R1 takes 3rd without a play. Defensive coach wants interference but I say we've got nothing on an unintentional kick of a thrown ball by a legal runner.