The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 17, 2010, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

dodgers-giants-lincecum out

I was at the dodgers-giants game and was hoping someone here saw and could explain the play on witch Lincecum was called out at third after the play.

What *appeared* to happen: Lincecum at 2nd; another runner at firs. Fly ball down the left field line. The outfielder's play was out of my line of vision, but judging from the players' reactions it was unclear to them whether or not he caught it or if it was a fly ball. Throw came in to the middle infielders as Lincecum ran back towards second. Throw is made to 1st [perhaps because they thought the fly was caught and were going for a double play?], and U there seemed to signal an out. Lincecum went back to third. Dodgers talk to the umpires; umpires huddle; one of the umpires then points at Lincecum and signals him out. (I believe he also tapped himself on the chest with both hands before or after signaling the out.) During the play, I don't believe the ball ever got near Lincecum.

We were perplexed (and of course they did not show a replay). Was Lincecum called out for running backwards? Was the chest tapping some sort of interference/obstruction signal? Was there an umpire misinformation of some sort and they "made it right" by calling Lincecum out? Seemed a very odd play, but perhaps I missed something obvious -- I couldn't find anything on the web discussing the play, but since it was a blow out, it is of course of purely academic interest.

thx
Old Sat Apr 17, 2010, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

runners at 1st and second..... Ball hit down left field line, Anderson dove (shocking I know), had the ball for a sec in his glove, but the ball popped out. Anderson threw the ball in, and they got the force out at 3rd on Lincecum who had ran back to 2nd. The Dodgers then threw the ball to second in time for the force play also. Which SHOULD have been the 2nd out. And the Dodgers threw to first, but too late.
There should have been two outs, but umpire Mark Wegner admitted he missed the call at 2nd.
So it stood, as the force at third for one out. Runner from first moved up to second. And the batter made first.

As for your questions, Lincecum was out as he was forced at third.

The umpire was tapping his chest as if to say "I got that, I got that call".. or something to that effect. He could have been telling that to his fellow umpires, or Torre who first came out of the dugout.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2010, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thx. Not sure how we missed the throw to third.