The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Did anyone see the bunt attempt by Lima? The ball bounced straight up in fair territory; the replays clearly showed that it actually bounced up into the handle of the bat between Lima's hands. In real time it looked as if Lima had been touched by the ball, but while he was still in the box. The umpires gathered after the play, but they were discussing the force out at 2B. (I guess none of the six umpires on the field saw the action at home.) In any case, I believe that if that action had been properly observed, then the ball would be dead, Lima declared out and the runner returned to 1B.
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

As you described the play, if "properly observed" it would have been called foul ball.
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Batter's Actions

Upon further review, I realize that foul is the proper call. It's a case of the ball hitting the bat and not the other way 'round.
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not so sure an out would not have been the appropriate call on Lima.

Being in the batter's box when struck by a fair ball is only ruled foul when the ball *immediately* strikes the batter (or his bat) with such suddeness that the batter really had no choice in the matter.

Example: Batter attempts to bunt and the ball hits the very bottom of his bat. The ball goes sharply down, hits the ground, and immediately rebounds up and strikes the bat a second time. Even if in fair territory - this is a foul ball.

That is in great contrast to what happened to Jose Lima. He made contact with a batted ball as a direct result of his running into it. That could reasonably be ruled as an out.

They kept showing slow motion replays of the incident at the plate. What *I* was waiting for was a replay of the attempted force out at 2nd. It appeared that runner was out and I was curious as to why he was ruled safe.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

David - no. Your example is exactly what happened - the ball went straight down and back up, and hit the bat. This is a foul ball.

Besides, you KNOW it's not an out --- because the announcer kept saying it should be an out, and we all know that announcers are always wrong.
Old Fri Oct 15, 2004, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
David - no. Your example is exactly what happened - the ball went straight down and back up, and hit the bat. This is a foul ball.

Besides, you KNOW it's not an out --- because the announcer kept saying it should be an out, and we all know that announcers are always wrong.
I saw it differently. I don't think Lima would have ever touched the ball had he not started toward 1st base. The ball was a good 2 feet out in front of the plate.

The ball was batted into the ground, out in front of the plate, popped straight up into the air, and Lima walked into it.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN