The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

FED Pitcher's Pivot Foot Set Position

Does the pitcher's entire pivot foot have to be in contact with the rubber, not extending beyond the edges of the rubber?
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup View Post
Does the pitcher's entire pivot foot have to be in contact with the rubber, not extending beyond the edges of the rubber?
No. Don't be a plumber.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, but is a good idea to keep them close just in case the other coach complains.

thanks
David
Old Sat Apr 17, 2010, 05:06am
Official Forum Member

The reason I ask is that I had a right handed pitcher who would constantly change his pivot foot position on the pitching plate based upon whether the batter was right handed or left handed. He would move his pivot foot all the way to the right of the pitching plate when facing a right handed batter and all the way to the left when facing a left handed batter. When facing a right handed batter, only his heel was in contact and when facing a left handed battter, only his toes were in contact.

The base umpire and I were discussing this after the game. I thought I remembered reading in the case book that this was an illegal pitch or a balk with runners on. I may be mistaken and appreciate it if anyone could clear this up. Thank you.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2010, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The reason I ask is that I had a right handed pitcher who would constantly change his pivot foot position on the pitching plate based upon whether the batter was right handed or left handed. He would move his pivot foot all the way to the right of the pitching plate when facing a right handed batter and all the way to the left when facing a left handed batter. When facing a right handed batter, only his heel was in contact and when facing a left handed battter, only his toes were in contact.

The base umpire and I were discussing this after the game. I thought I remembered reading in the case book that this was an illegal pitch or a balk with runners on. I may be mistaken and appreciate it if anyone could clear this up. Thank you.
By rule (6-1-3, 6.1.3A) the entire pivot foot must be directly in front of the rubber. IN practice, it's generally ignored, especially because of the poor condition of some HS mounds.

I would say that you have found one of the times the rule should be more strictly enforced.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2010, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Bob,

Thank you for this clarification. When discussing this with the base umpire, both of us were very surprised that the offensive team's manager did not comment on this during the game. You said this would be a situation to enforce the rule. Would you tell F1, F2 or the manager first and then call an illegal pitch (or balk) or would you make the call? Thank you.

Matt
Old Sat Apr 17, 2010, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I would say that you have found one of the times the rule should be more strictly enforced.
Around here, in my experience, this is a booger one ought not to pick.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2010, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bob,

Thank you for this clarification. When discussing this with the base umpire, both of us were very surprised that the offensive team's manager did not comment on this during the game. You said this would be a situation to enforce the rule. Would you tell F1, F2 or the manager first and then call an illegal pitch (or balk) or would you make the call? Thank you.

Matt
I'd find a way to tell him to stay more in front of the rubber.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2010, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

As already cite, the rule is clear, entire foot must be in contact with rubber in FED. However, I agree with mbyron on this one. What real advantage is 4-6 inches? If you get a HC trying to pick at something because he is losing, I'm going to the mound tbetween innings to "clean off the rubber" and letting pitch know. From then on I might call it.....
Old Sat Apr 17, 2010, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

As Bob said this is an extreme case and by rule he is required to be in contact with. We've generally made them keep most of the foot there. But I would never call an illegal pitch, I would just tell the coach between innings and let him fix it.

Thanks
David
Old Sun Apr 18, 2010, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastordoug View Post
If you get a HC trying to pick at something because he is losing, I'm going to the mound tbetween innings to "clean off the rubber" and letting pitch know. From then on I might call it.....
I have never "cleaned off the rubber" nor set foot on the dirt circle of a mound (as an umpire), nor will I ever do so. Nor will I ever address F1 directly.

In certain circumstances I might send F2 out to talk to him, but in the situation under discussion, I'll tell the coach who's asking about it, "he's OK."

I'll also add this: good pitching is perhaps the single most important factor that makes games go smoothly. Since pitching depends so much on the psyche of F1, I generally try to support him whenever possible.

I call my share of balks and other obvious violations, and I won't let him show me up twice (first time, if it's not totally heinous, I usually send F2 out to tell him I want to keep him in the game). But I aim to keep the rhythm and flow between F1 and F2 good for the sake of the game.

IMO, the best policy is: stay away from F1.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2010, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

A 2 and a 1/2 hour game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastordoug View Post
What real advantage is 4-6 inches?
That advantage gained is directly proportional to the advantage gained off the plate by some degree. The smart pitchers have to apply simple geometry to go after that inside or outside edge. Basically, relaxing the rule about staying within the confines of the rubber will help shorten the game.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2010, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I have never "cleaned off the rubber" nor set foot on the dirt circle of a mound (as an umpire), nor will I ever do so. Nor will I ever address F1 directly.

In certain circumstances I might send F2 out to talk to him, but in the situation under discussion, I'll tell the coach who's asking about it, "he's OK."

I'll also add this: good pitching is perhaps the single most important factor that makes games go smoothly. Since pitching depends so much on the psyche of F1, I generally try to support him whenever possible.

I call my share of balks and other obvious violations, and I won't let him show me up twice (first time, if it's not totally heinous, I usually send F2 out to tell him I want to keep him in the game). But I aim to keep the rhythm and flow between F1 and F2 good for the sake of the game.

IMO, the best policy is: stay away from F1.
Amen.. I am not a rubber janitor.. Wow