The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   FED Pitcher's Pivot Foot Set Position (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/57887-fed-pitchers-pivot-foot-set-position.html)

njdevs00cup Fri Apr 16, 2010 08:24pm

FED Pitcher's Pivot Foot Set Position

Does the pitcher's entire pivot foot have to be in contact with the rubber, not extending beyond the edges of the rubber?

mbyron Fri Apr 16, 2010 08:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevs00cup (Post 673999)
Does the pitcher's entire pivot foot have to be in contact with the rubber, not extending beyond the edges of the rubber?

No. Don't be a plumber.

David B Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevs00cup (Post 673999)

No, but is a good idea to keep them close just in case the other coach complains.

thanks
David

njdevs00cup Sat Apr 17, 2010 05:06am

The reason I ask is that I had a right handed pitcher who would constantly change his pivot foot position on the pitching plate based upon whether the batter was right handed or left handed. He would move his pivot foot all the way to the right of the pitching plate when facing a right handed batter and all the way to the left when facing a left handed batter. When facing a right handed batter, only his heel was in contact and when facing a left handed battter, only his toes were in contact.

The base umpire and I were discussing this after the game. I thought I remembered reading in the case book that this was an illegal pitch or a balk with runners on. I may be mistaken and appreciate it if anyone could clear this up. Thank you.

bob jenkins Sat Apr 17, 2010 08:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevs00cup (Post 674024)
The reason I ask is that I had a right handed pitcher who would constantly change his pivot foot position on the pitching plate based upon whether the batter was right handed or left handed. He would move his pivot foot all the way to the right of the pitching plate when facing a right handed batter and all the way to the left when facing a left handed batter. When facing a right handed batter, only his heel was in contact and when facing a left handed battter, only his toes were in contact.

The base umpire and I were discussing this after the game. I thought I remembered reading in the case book that this was an illegal pitch or a balk with runners on. I may be mistaken and appreciate it if anyone could clear this up. Thank you.

By rule (6-1-3, 6.1.3A) the entire pivot foot must be directly in front of the rubber. IN practice, it's generally ignored, especially because of the poor condition of some HS mounds.

I would say that you have found one of the times the rule should be more strictly enforced.

njdevs00cup Sat Apr 17, 2010 09:58am

Bob,

Thank you for this clarification. When discussing this with the base umpire, both of us were very surprised that the offensive team's manager did not comment on this during the game. You said this would be a situation to enforce the rule. Would you tell F1, F2 or the manager first and then call an illegal pitch (or balk) or would you make the call? Thank you.

Matt

mbyron Sat Apr 17, 2010 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 674042)
I would say that you have found one of the times the rule should be more strictly enforced.

Around here, in my experience, this is a booger one ought not to pick.

bob jenkins Sat Apr 17, 2010 07:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevs00cup (Post 674052)
Bob,

Thank you for this clarification. When discussing this with the base umpire, both of us were very surprised that the offensive team's manager did not comment on this during the game. You said this would be a situation to enforce the rule. Would you tell F1, F2 or the manager first and then call an illegal pitch (or balk) or would you make the call? Thank you.

Matt

I'd find a way to tell him to stay more in front of the rubber.

pastordoug Sat Apr 17, 2010 09:27pm

As already cite, the rule is clear, entire foot must be in contact with rubber in FED. However, I agree with mbyron on this one. What real advantage is 4-6 inches? If you get a HC trying to pick at something because he is losing, I'm going to the mound tbetween innings to "clean off the rubber" and letting pitch know. From then on I might call it.....

David B Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevs00cup (Post 674024)

As Bob said this is an extreme case and by rule he is required to be in contact with. We've generally made them keep most of the foot there. But I would never call an illegal pitch, I would just tell the coach between innings and let him fix it.

Thanks
David

mbyron Sun Apr 18, 2010 09:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastordoug (Post 674123)
If you get a HC trying to pick at something because he is losing, I'm going to the mound tbetween innings to "clean off the rubber" and letting pitch know. From then on I might call it.....

I have never "cleaned off the rubber" nor set foot on the dirt circle of a mound (as an umpire), nor will I ever do so. Nor will I ever address F1 directly.

In certain circumstances I might send F2 out to talk to him, but in the situation under discussion, I'll tell the coach who's asking about it, "he's OK."

I'll also add this: good pitching is perhaps the single most important factor that makes games go smoothly. Since pitching depends so much on the psyche of F1, I generally try to support him whenever possible.

I call my share of balks and other obvious violations, and I won't let him show me up twice (first time, if it's not totally heinous, I usually send F2 out to tell him I want to keep him in the game). But I aim to keep the rhythm and flow between F1 and F2 good for the sake of the game.

IMO, the best policy is: stay away from F1.

SAump Sun Apr 18, 2010 02:44pm

A 2 and a 1/2 hour game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastordoug (Post 674123)
What real advantage is 4-6 inches?

That advantage gained is directly proportional to the advantage gained off the plate by some degree. The smart pitchers have to apply simple geometry to go after that inside or outside edge. Basically, relaxing the rule about staying within the confines of the rubber will help shorten the game.

DBull Sun Apr 18, 2010 04:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 674149)
I have never "cleaned off the rubber" nor set foot on the dirt circle of a mound (as an umpire), nor will I ever do so. Nor will I ever address F1 directly.

In certain circumstances I might send F2 out to talk to him, but in the situation under discussion, I'll tell the coach who's asking about it, "he's OK."

I'll also add this: good pitching is perhaps the single most important factor that makes games go smoothly. Since pitching depends so much on the psyche of F1, I generally try to support him whenever possible.

I call my share of balks and other obvious violations, and I won't let him show me up twice (first time, if it's not totally heinous, I usually send F2 out to tell him I want to keep him in the game). But I aim to keep the rhythm and flow between F1 and F2 good for the sake of the game.

IMO, the best policy is: stay away from F1.

Amen.. I am not a rubber janitor.. Wow