The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 10, 2010, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
Except, of course, in FED - where it's two.

JM
Right after we get chastised (elsewhere) for bringing up the "wrong" rules in a discussion?
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
On a pitch the award is one base.
But not with the catcher's inadvertent use of his mask to control the ball....that's the point....it changes the whole sitch...no longer has anything to do with the fact it was a pitch.....
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

In the Mariners play, the umpires got together and determined that the ball was no longer a batted ball after the third baseman's touch, as he had changed impetus driving the ball. Hence, the ruling that it was a thrown ball (two base award on detached equipment) rather than a batted ball (three base award on detached equipment). Interesting ruling and they get paid big bucks for this. Notice that the MLB did not make any kind of a clarification on this, so it implies they go the ruling right, despite forum members saying they got it wrong. I tend to agree with the umpires on the field, but I am a Mariners fan suffering a minor disaster of an open to the season, and may not be objective.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarecrow View Post
but not with the catcher's inadvertent use of his mask to control the ball....that's the point....it changes the whole sitch...no longer has anything to do with the fact it was a pitch.....
wtf?
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarecrow View Post
But not with the catcher's inadvertent use of his mask to control the ball....that's the point....it changes the whole sitch...no longer has anything to do with the fact it was a pitch.....
Can you clarify what you mean by this? I recall nothing about the catchers intent when using his mask. I'm pretty sure it states quite clearly that it 1 base on a pitched ball, 2 on a thrown ball, and 3 on a batted ball (from time of touch).
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Seattle at Oakland....ball still live after touch by 3rd base, and catcher grabs ball rolling towards foul line with his mask...gave each runner one base....highlights showed this happend on July 11, 2009, with the A's and Rays...similar play....runners got one base then, too.....
this one was on a pitch though, so that is one base.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBa Booey View Post
Can you clarify what you mean by this? I recall nothing about the catchers intent when using his mask. I'm pretty sure it states quite clearly that it 1 base on a pitched ball, 2 on a thrown ball, and 3 on a batted ball (from time of touch).
Quite a few comments here about it being on a pitch...award one base...My comment is that the pitch has ended, and the catcher (in the July 11, 2009 sitch) tried to shovel the loose pitched ball into his glove using his mask....it is no longer a one-base award because of a pitch...it is a two-base award for use of detached player equipment....I am not sure why I am hearing all of this anger or consternation at my statements...If I am wrong, simply state that, Please....I am trying to learn here....
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Skarecrow,

Your earlier post was incoherent. Nobody could tell what you were saying.

Your most recent post is only marginally less so.

I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

JM
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quite a few comments here about it being on a pitch...award one base...My comment is that the pitch has ended, and the catcher (in the July 11, 2009 sitch) tried to shovel the loose pitched ball into his glove using his mask....it is no longer a one-base award because of a pitch...it is a two-base award for use of detached player equipment....I am not sure why I am hearing all of this anger or consternation at my statements...If I am wrong, simply state that, Please....I am trying to learn here....
OK - you're wrong.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
OK - you're wrong.
Sorry...still trying HARD to learn....how am I wrong? Seriously, try and help me out here....you are not being very helpful, which I thought was one of the goals of this forum....

You're saying that if a catcher shovels a loose pitch with his mask, you're giving one base only, because it started from a pitch? I very respectfully think that is the wrong application of the rule...
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry...still trying HARD to learn....how am I wrong? Seriously, try and help me out here....you are not being very helpful, which I thought was one of the goals of this forum....

You're saying that if a catcher shovels a loose pitch with his mask, you're giving one base only, because it started from a pitch? I very respectfully think that is the wrong application of the rule...
You said in your OP that the ball was still rolling. So, it's still a pitched ball. If it had gone out of play, it would have been a 1-base award. Same thing for F2 grabbing the ball with his mask.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You said in your OP that the ball was still rolling. So, it's still a pitched ball. If it had gone out of play, it would have been a 1-base award. Same thing for F2 grabbing the ball with his mask.
Ok...you sound convinced, so I am convinced....I will ignore the implications of the detached equipment...I can see your reasoning....if the mask had interfered with a thrown ball (two bases)...a batted ball (impossible, but three bases)...a pitched ball (one base.) Thanks Bob, for the civil explanation.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok...you sound convinced, so I am convinced....I will ignore the implications of the detached equipment...I can see your reasoning....if the mask had interfered with a thrown ball (two bases)...a batted ball (impossible, but three bases)...a pitched ball (one base.) Thanks Bob, for the civil explanation.
a batted ball (impossible, but three bases)...

Not really - what if he scooped up a bunt with his mask?
Old Sat Apr 17, 2010, 06:36pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:

What they are saying is that the ball is either a..

1) Batted ball: put in play by the bat
2) Thrown ball: thrown by a fielder

or a

3) Pitched ball: Thrown by the pitcher. It remains a pitched ball till one of the other two happen or the catcher fields it in his glove or bare hand. It your sitch 1 and 2 didn't happen and the catcher didn't field it with his glove or bare hand so it was still a pitched ball when he controled it with his mask (detached equipment).
Old Sun Apr 18, 2010, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl View Post
What they are saying is that the ball is either a..

1) Batted ball: put in play by the bat
2) Thrown ball: thrown by a fielder

or a

3) Pitched ball: Thrown by the pitcher. It remains a pitched ball till one of the other two happen or the catcher fields it in his glove or bare hand. It your sitch 1 and 2 didn't happen and the catcher didn't field it with his glove or bare hand so it was still a pitched ball when he controled it with his mask (detached equipment).
Correct...I see that reasoning now...thanks.....