The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 28, 2003, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Question

I've got the plate. Runner on 1st. Ball four to the batter goes off of his shin guard and deflects directly into DBA. BU wants to move BR to 1st, R1 to 2nd. I say BR got 1st with the ball four and he gets 2nd with the ball into the DBA. We go with that and no one argues. After the game we check the book. The Approved Ruling after 7.05(h)says award one base. From what point? The comment after 7.05(i) says the BR shall be entitled to first base only. Does this apply? What about R1. Would he get 2nd on the walk and 3rd on the DBA, even if the BR only gets 1st?
Old Mon Jul 28, 2003, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GerryBlue
I've got the plate. Runner on 1st. Ball four to the batter goes off of his shin guard and deflects directly into DBA. BU wants to move BR to 1st, R1 to 2nd. I say BR got 1st with the ball four and he gets 2nd with the ball into the DBA. We go with that and no one argues. After the game we check the book. The Approved Ruling after 7.05(h)says award one base. From what point? The comment after 7.05(i) says the BR shall be entitled to first base only. Does this apply? What about R1. Would he get 2nd on the walk and 3rd on the DBA, even if the BR only gets 1st?
BR to first; R1 to second.

(any other runners 1 base from TOP, even if not forced)
Old Mon Jul 28, 2003, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

This seems like a break for the defense because they incur no penalty for the ball going into DBA. Both BR & R1 advance just as they would with Ball 4.
Old Mon Jul 28, 2003, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Base awards are not accumulative. What would you do if a pitcher balked and then threw the ball into DBT? Would you award a base on the balk AND the proper award for the DBT? Hope not.
Old Mon Jul 28, 2003, 02:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The rule is the rule. 7.05(i). The batter-runner is awarded first base. Our feelings about it are irrelevant.

Rich