The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Catcher picks up ball with mask (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/57837-catcher-picks-up-ball-mask.html)

LeeBallanfant Thu Apr 08, 2010 06:34pm

Catcher picks up ball with mask

ML rules

A) Runner on 1B, batter bunts and 3B trying to throw him out barehanded touches ball, but cannot pick it up. Runners now on 1B and 2B, whereupon before any time is called, C picks up ball with mask.

B) Same as A, but 3B does not touch ball

Rich Ives Thu Apr 08, 2010 09:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant (Post 673205)
ML rules

A) Runner on 1B, batter bunts and 3B trying to throw him out barehanded touches ball, but cannot pick it up. Runners now on 1B and 2B, whereupon before any time is called, C picks up ball with mask.

7.05(b) 3 Bases

mbyron Thu Apr 08, 2010 09:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant (Post 673205)
ML rules

A and B are the same, since a misplayed batted ball is still a batted ball: this is a fair ball touched by detached equipment. 3 base award: if the touch occurs after the BR reaches 1B, score both runners. (7.05b)

bluehair Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:24pm

I just saw this play on the espn highlights. Did they give the batter 3 bases?

rpumpire Fri Apr 09, 2010 02:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluehair (Post 673223)
I just saw this play on the espn highlights. Did they give the batter 3 bases?

No, the umpire crew got together and sent the BR to second and R1 to third!

Kevin Finnerty Fri Apr 09, 2010 09:22am

I saw Mike Scioscia do this about 25 years ago. He was in the big leagues and he didn't know that rule. He still talks about it today.

_Bruno_ Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:07am

which game was that ?

BaBa Booey Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:28am

Moore victim of obscure rule | Mariners.com: News

Edit: turns out the video doesn't show the play, but there is a brief explanation of the situation in the article. Not much new info, though.

Skarecrow Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Bruno_ (Post 673240)
which game was that ?

Seattle at Oakland....ball still live after touch by 3rd base, and catcher grabs ball rolling towards foul line with his mask...gave each runner one base....highlights showed this happend on July 11, 2009, with the A's and Rays...similar play....runners got one base then, too.....

rpumpire Fri Apr 09, 2010 04:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skarecrow (Post 673247)
Seattle at Oakland....ball still live after touch by 3rd base, and catcher grabs ball rolling towards foul line with his mask...gave each runner one base....highlights showed this happend on July 11, 2009, with the A's and Rays...similar play....runners got one base then, too.....

They didn't award one base, they awarded two bases (BR to second, R1 to third). However, by rule it should have been three bases.

Skarecrow Fri Apr 09, 2010 05:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpumpire (Post 673273)
They didn't award one base, they awarded two bases (BR to second, R1 to third). However, by rule it should have been three bases.

I stand corrected...you are right...that was the BR they waved to second...thanks....

tjones1 Fri Apr 09, 2010 09:27pm

I think there was a play last year where the catcher stopped the ball from rolling with his mask. However, I'm fairly sure it wasn't a batted ball. I think it was a pitch in the dirt.

Skarecrow Sat Apr 10, 2010 08:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 673281)
I think there was a play last year where the catcher stopped the ball from rolling with his mask. However, I'm fairly sure it wasn't a batted ball. I think it was a pitch in the dirt.

Yeah, that's the A's-Rays game I mentioned on July 11, 2009...they showed that replay in the A's-Seattle game....low pitch and squibble slowly away from the catcher, and the catcher kind of knocked the ball toward his glove using his mask....they gave R1 one base then, too....if I recall the replay correctly....

Rich Ives Sat Apr 10, 2010 09:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skarecrow (Post 673307)
Yeah, that's the A's-Rays game I mentioned on July 11, 2009...they showed that replay in the A's-Seattle game....low pitch and squibble slowly away from the catcher, and the catcher kind of knocked the ball toward his glove using his mask....they gave R1 one base then, too....if I recall the replay correctly....

On a pitch the award is one base.

UmpJM Sat Apr 10, 2010 09:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 673309)
On a pitch the award is one base.

Except, of course, in FED - where it's two.

JM