The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Long games thread, 2010 version

My longest HS game in my 8 years as an official - last night, 13 innings, 4 hours and 10 minutes. 1-1 after 10, visiting team pushes across 2 in the top of the 11th, finally scoring after their third inning with bases loaded and no outs. Of course, the home team scores two and leaves the winning run stranded at third with one out. Scoreless 12th, visitors score 3 in the 13th, and the home team goes down quickly in the bottom to finally end it. They blew a good chance in the 12th when the leadoff man, heading to second on a hit-and-run with no outs, inexplicable reverses field back toward first base on a high chopper to third - I can only guess he thought it was a popup? Total bonehead play - maybe he was sleepwalking by then.

At least I didn't suck..

Last edited by scarolinablue; Wed Mar 31, 2010 at 02:40pm. Reason: runner was returning to first base, not second...
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 09:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarolinablue View Post
My longest HS game in my 8 years as an official - last night, 13 innings, 4 hours and 10 minutes. 1-1 after 10, visiting team pushes across 2 in the top of the 11th, finally scoring after their third inning with bases loaded and no outs. Of course, the home team scores two and leaves the winning run stranded at third with one out. Scoreless 12th, visitors score 3 in the 13th, and the home team goes down quickly in the bottom to finally end it. They blew a good chance in the 12th when the leadoff man, heading to second on a hit-and-run with no outs, inexplicable reverses field back toward second base on a high chopper to third - I can only guess he thought it was a popup? Total bonehead play - maybe he was sleepwalking by then.

At least I didn't suck..
I had a 16-0 game last night. The bottom of the third (9 runs) itself felt like it took 4 hours. But actually, we played 4.5 innings and it was all over in about 1:45.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Not my game, but....

I'm not a college guy (yet?), but I was spectating at a Delaware @ William & Mary game last weekend that took 3:49 to play - for a regular 9-inning game. Oy. Where it felt worse for me was the cooler temps combined with the constant 15-20 mph wind. Delaware wins 12-9

From bottom-six to the end, there was at least one run per half-inning, and pitching changes, and the ever-present change-of-pace when a runner gets on, etc, etc, etc. Even defending a five run lead in the last of the ninth, Delaware couldn't close the $%^&# deal - three errors in the first four (maybe the first three) at-bats of the inning.

Yikes.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Also in the Palmetto State:

Approx. 4 years ago. 4 hours 30 minutes long...Final Score 24-18...7 innings.

The wind was blowing straight out. It was the day after a late winter rain storm, and it was extremely windy. It was like the famous Cubs vs. Phillies game from the 1980's. Every infield pop-up blew into the outfield. Every outfield fly went at-least to the track, if not over the fence. Every breaking ball broke much further than normal leading to a walk-fest, when the ball wasn't put in play.

I had never been a part of anything like it before or since.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 08:39pm
Is this a legal title?

Do I feel lucky?

I do.

My first two FED plate jobs were both one-hit shutouts. First one was errorless by both teams, too--a real rarity in these parts.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't had anything too bad this year yet. (Crossing fingers) I did have a Varsity legion game last summer that went just under 4 hours. It was a 9 inning game and the final was 22-20.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

3.5-hour JV game today. 14-11. Thank God I was the BU.

Funny incident of the day: Batter hits a clean double. As the ball's being thrown back into the infield, he asks for time. I don't give it to him. The throw is high and rolls past the pitcher to the 1B foul line. Runner gets to 3B easily.

After he reaches, F6 looks at me and says, "But he called time!"
Old Fri Apr 02, 2010, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
3.5-hour JV game today. 14-11. Thank God I was the BU.

Funny incident of the day: Batter hits a clean double. As the ball's being thrown back into the infield, he asks for time. I don't give it to him. The throw is high and rolls past the pitcher to the 1B foul line. Runner gets to 3B easily.

After he reaches, F6 looks at me and says, "But he called time!"
Whew, thank goodness most all of our JV games are time limited about hour and half max! And most play doubleheader so you get two games and still only about three hours.

Thanks
David
Old Fri Apr 02, 2010, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

My assignor worked a game today at Valparaiso University, where Valpo scored 21 runs in the 5th inning. final was 26-5 in 7 innings.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2010, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

My assignor once told our group: "GD Baserunners cause all kinds of GD problems. It's your job to keep those GD baserunners off the GD bases!"
Old Sat Apr 03, 2010, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Long DH

Did CBB DH recently.

Base game as 4:15 20-12, 7 errors, 10 pitching changes, one team gave up 11 runs after 2 strikes on opposing hitters....
Plate game, about 3:45, 15-2, 8 errors, 6 pitching changes.

Tough day.
Old Sat Apr 03, 2010, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Whew, thank goodness most all of our JV games are time limited about hour and half max! And most play doubleheader so you get two games and still only about three hours.

Thanks
David
I heard that!!! I love that hour and 1/2 on the JV - get in, get out and let's start Varsity.

Longest game so far - 2 years ago HS Varsity (for you David - at Water Valley). It snowed Friday night. Everything was clear by game time for game one of the DH at 3PM. First game was normal and nothing spectacular. Second game went close to the 3 hour mark, just over if I remember right, may have been 3 1/2. 10 innings. 2 outs in the bottom, run scores from second on a base hit. Ended the nineth with the same play, different result. My partner and I joked that our wives wouldn't believe we'd been gone that long for 2 ball games.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2010, 04:04pm
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk View Post
8.5 hrs. 6 Game delays. Had to get it in championship game.
At $100 per hour, you made out like a bandit.

/sarcasm

Back to the topic at hand, longest I have seen this year was here:

La Grange News - Tigers lose wild game

Quote:
AUBURN, Ala. - Troup baseball coach Craig Garner has seen some bizarre things during his years in the sport.

He’s never seen anything like what happened Monday afternoon during a game against Auburn High, though.

The two teams combined for 49 runs, and Auburn rallied from 13 runs down to win it 25-24 on a walkoff grand slam in the bottom of the seventh inning.

Todd Thompson, who had been 0-for-5, provided the winning margin with his one-out grand slam.

“It was the craziest game I’ve seen in my life,” Garner said. “It was a circus.”
Old Mon Apr 05, 2010, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk View Post
Wasn't a $100/hr game. Converted golf course had weather warning system still installed. Went off-on 6 times.
What a Bull $hit artist!
Old Thu Apr 08, 2010, 10:03pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Hi fellas...officially back in the saddle today. (FED) Had a good game, two small town schools...good kids, hustled, good sportsmanship. Had the dish...overall felt pretty good back there...admittedly, a few flinches behind the dish with many ball in the dirt and young catchers...got out of it with no solid knocks to the body...my partner and I each had a balk and my the first called strike of the year was a called third. Game was a bit long...about 2:15 for 5 innings...end via the 10 run rule...but not a bad game overall.