The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,626
Help, I can't find the 2010 Off-Topic Baseball thread!

Updated Mar 30, 2010 6:15 PM ET
KISSIMMEE, Fla. (AP)

Ambidextrous pitcher Pat Venditte threw with both arms for the New York Yankees on Tuesday, giving up one run in 1 1/3 innings during a 9-6 split-squad loss to the Atlanta Braves.
Pat Venditte, showing off his form as a righty.
Charlie Riedel


Venditte switched back and forth, depending on whether he was facing a righty or lefty. He gave up two hits and a walk.

The 24-year-old reliever, who uses a six-finger glove, pitched in Class A last season and went 4-2 with 22 saves and a 1.87 ERA.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,626
Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Pat Venditte Rule

The Professional Baseball Umpire Corporation (PBUC) released its official rules for dealing with ambidextrous pitchers on Wednesday. These guidelines were reached after PBUC staff consulted with a variety of sources, including the Major League Baseball Rules Committee.

● The pitcher must visually indicate to the umpire, batter and runner(s) which way he will begin pitching to the batter. Engaging the rubber with the glove on a particular hand is considered a definitive commitment to which arm he will throw with. The batter will then choose which side of the plate he will bat from.
● The pitcher must throw one pitch to the batter before any “switch” by either player is allowed.
● After one pitch is thrown, the pitcher and batter may each change positions one time per at-bat. For example, if the pitcher changes from right-handed to left-handed and the batter then changes batter’s boxes, each player must remain that way for the duration of that at-bat (unless the offensive team substitutes a pinch hitter, and then each player may again “switch” one time).
● Any switch (by either the pitcher or the batter) must be clearly indicated to the umpire. There will be no warm-up pitches during the change of arms.
● If an injury occurs the pitcher may change arms but not use that arm again during the remainder of the game.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 05:05am
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,643
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
False Start Charged to Nevada!

Therefore, you need to go to either the Swimming or Track and Field Forum.

You are NOT authorized to initiate this thread........

"Shame! Shame! Shame!" (Gomer Pyle)

PS - It is a neat story though.
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 05:08am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,626
Oh, I'm not starting it. I'm merely hinting, very strongly, that someone needs to start it soon!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Irving, Texas
Posts: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Pat Venditte Rule

The Professional Baseball Umpire Corporation (PBUC) released its official rules for dealing with ambidextrous pitchers on Wednesday. These guidelines were reached after PBUC staff consulted with a variety of sources, including the Major League Baseball Rules Committee.

● The pitcher must visually indicate to the umpire, batter and runner(s) which way he will begin pitching to the batter. Engaging the rubber with the glove on a particular hand is considered a definitive commitment to which arm he will throw with. The batter will then choose which side of the plate he will bat from.
● The pitcher must throw one pitch to the batter before any “switch” by either player is allowed.
● After one pitch is thrown, the pitcher and batter may each change positions one time per at-bat. For example, if the pitcher changes from right-handed to left-handed and the batter then changes batter’s boxes, each player must remain that way for the duration of that at-bat (unless the offensive team substitutes a pinch hitter, and then each player may again “switch” one time).
● Any switch (by either the pitcher or the batter) must be clearly indicated to the umpire. There will be no warm-up pitches during the change of arms.
● If an injury occurs the pitcher may change arms but not use that arm again during the remainder of the game.
Anyone no if the "pick an arm" section applies to pickoff moves to second?
__________________
- SamIAm (Senior Registered User) - (Concerning all judgement calls - they depend on age, ability, and severity)
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 01:44pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
When is opening day?
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
I believe the tradition has been that the thread starts on Opening Day. And, being the Traditionalist I am, I would still call that Monday, not Sunday night when ESPN does their own false start.
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
I believe the tradition has been that the thread starts on Opening Day. And, being the Traditionalist I am, I would still call that Monday, not Sunday night when ESPN does their own false start.
I agree with you. I would deem April 5 to be Opening Day and April 4 to be Opening Night, but MLB officially disagrees.

=======================================

MLB Important Dates | MLB.com: Schedule

April 4, 2010

• Opening Day
• Active player limit reduced to 25 players.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 09:00am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I agree with you. I would deem April 5 to be Opening Day and April 4 to be Opening Night, but MLB officially disagrees.
I understand, but MLB also came up with the designated hitter. So, just because they are correct doesn't make it right.
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 09:23am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
So, just because they are correct doesn't make it right.
Phrasemaker.

I think you mean, "just because they are correct doesn't make it good."
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 09:26am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Phrasemaker.

I think you mean, "just because they are correct doesn't make it good."
Right.

I mean, good.

I mean,...oh, never mind.
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 09:59am
Aleve Titles to Others
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Westchester of the Southern Conference
Posts: 5,386
Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Right.

I mean, good.

I mean,...oh, never mind.
I think you mean "Shut up".
__________________
Never hit a piñata if you see hornets flying out of it.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 10:15am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I think you mean "Shut up".
Yea, you're right. That phrase makes me feel as warm and fuzzy as early-morning tacos.
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 08:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 18,354
I Agree With Charlie ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
MLB also came up with the designated hitter.
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 08:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,918
Exclamation Yep - it looks like it's gonna be an interesting season

__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's New! It's Improved! It's the Official Annual Off-Topic Baseball Thread!! ChuckElias Basketball 207 Mon Oct 26, 2009 09:26pm
Warning!! It's Baaaaaack!! Off-topic Baseball Thread '08 !! ChuckElias Basketball 859 Mon Apr 06, 2009 02:55pm
Warning!! Danger!! Annual Off-topic Baseball Thread '07!! Beware!! ChuckElias Basketball 1764 Wed Jan 30, 2008 03:32pm
OFF TOPIC THREAD!!! Dueling off topic baseball threads!!! Dan_ref General / Off-Topic 34 Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:15am
WARNING!! ANNUAL OFF TOPIC BASEBALL THREAD!!! Dan_ref Basketball 16 Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:32pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1