The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I don't know how it is in the Major Leagues, but in high school ball the biggest complainers about the length of games are the umpires with the smallest strike zones.

I watched the Diamondbacka vs. Cardianls last night and was amazed at how small the strike zone was. I know that it would have been different if Schilling or Johnson were pitching because they are in a group with Maddux and Glavine who get strikes called pretty much as long as the catcher catches the ball.

What are some of your opinions on why games are too long in the Major Leagues? I personally don't think they are too long. It doesn't bother me at all to sit through a four or five hour game. But I am a real baseball fan not one of the people who they are trying to market to.

Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by harmbu

What are some of your opinions on why games are too long in the Major Leagues? I personally don't think they are too long. It doesn't bother me at all to sit through a four or five hour game. But I am a real baseball fan not one of the people who they are trying to market to.

MLB = BIG Business = Commercials. That IMO is the number 1 reason for the games being too long.

There are some things MLB could do to speed up the game, but the point is the Sponsers need to get their commercial time in so I do not not if any valuable time would be saved - maybe 20 - 30 minutes tops.

A. adopt some sort of a batter's box rule ala FED

B. If F2 calls time to chat with F1 charge a vsist - in other words what happens when a team wants to change pitchers.
1. Call to bullpen
2. Have F2 talk to F1 until umpire breaks up conference
3. Have Pitching coach then come out and talk to F1
4. Finally the manager comes out and changes F1
5. Now we have a new F1 and he needs 8 warm-up throws

C. Intentional base on balls - adopt the FED ruling simply award B1 first base.

However, as stated, no matter what kind of speed-up rule one wants, the sponsors need their time, so as mentioned maybe we could save a half hour tops.

As far as amateur games taking too long - yes the umpire can do his / her best to move the game along, but if F1 can't find the plate and the fielders mis-play routine ground / fly balls - one is in for a long day.

I know what you are talking about when an umpire has a "postage" for a zone, but on the same token we can't call picthes at the players eyes or feet strikes either without the game becoming a farce.

The key to a quick amateur game is both teams F1's having good command of the zone and a good defense behind them.

Pete Booth

Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Agreement

Thanks Pete.

I agree with your post. There are far more good umpires than there are bad ones. It just seems to me that the bad ones are also the biggest complainers. I am sure that they are just in it for the money and that is why they are both bad and complainers.