The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

No way.... I am not sure why I concluded that some were saying that contact beyond the bag without a play is a out? I can see now, thanks for making that clear, not true.... I have never called a runner out for that so the reason for my comments....

I really enjoying this forum for this very reason.... Thanks again...
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Please forgive me but after re-reading the rule for the .... time, let me print as written and then let me know again what you think please....

8-4-2 ... Any runner is out when he:

8-4-2b ... does not legally slide and causes illegal contact AND/OR illegally alters the actions of a fielder in the immediate act of making a play, or on a force play, does not slide in a direct line between the bases.

mbyron said quote: "But illegal slides are penalized only if they affect a play."

I am not saying I agree with the rule but again, it seems clear to me that mbryon's statement is not true?

dash rock said quote: "R1 stealing, F2 doesn't handle the pitch and has to chase it. There is no throw to 2nd. R1 slides past the bag and gently contacts F6. Are you going to call R1 out for interference?"

I replied "no way" but by FED rule it looks like it's an out....

Why the big fuss? I thought last week at a game I had (I'm new to this area) the HC said something like "blue what about the contact after the slide?" I said something like, "there's no play"
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Doug,

The illegal slide penalty applies if there is contact with or altering of the actions of a fielder in the immediate act of making a play. No play, no penalty (except for other stuff, e.g., malicious contact).
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure what you're missing. An illegal slide alone is not penalized. Look at the rule you quoted:

8-4-2b ... does not legally slide AND causes illegal contact and/or illegally alters the actions of a fielder in the immediate act of making a play

An illegal slide by itself is nothing (unless it's malicious contact). It's penalized only if it affects the play, that is, by causing contact or alters the actions of a fielder.

Illegal slide = nothing

Illegal slide + contact = Interference

Illegal slide + altering the fielder's actions = Interference

If you can't understand that, perhaps you shouldn't be officiating HS ball.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

I undearstand completly.... you (mbyron) said quote: "there's no interference without a play to be interfered with" and then turn around and say
quote: "Illegal slide + contact = Interference"

????? Please tell me what I am missing?????

I don't think I said an illegal slide alone is cause to bang someone, but /i did say that the illegal slide which causes contact regardless of whether a play is being made, by FED rules is an out...... Didn't say I would call dask rocks example but just trying figure out what you are saying? Can't be both ways...

Not trying to be agrumentative either. An if in your opinion a guy trying to better himself by studying the rules, asking questions.... well not sure how to respond.

It's the AND/OR of the rule I think that gets either overlooked or again I am reading to far into it... To me AND/OR means just that.... can be both OR just the latter.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastordoug View Post
I undearstand completly.... you (mbyron) said quote: "there's no interference without a play to be interfered with" and then turn around and say
quote: "Illegal slide + contact = Interference"

????? Please tell me what I am missing?????
Right, I think I see the problem.

How would you have contact without a play? A fielder just standing on the base? Only in little league...
Old Fri Apr 02, 2010, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Thats right.... And sometimes I feel that HS ball here is just that.... LL