The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 04, 2002, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

NHFS Rules

R2 and R1 are on their respective bases. B1 hits a one hopper to F6, tosses the ball to F4 at second for the first out. From my view point R1 intentionally tries to take out F4 by sliding directly into him as he attempts to make the throw to first. However, technically R1 is sliding in a direct line between the two bases but he could have easily slid away from F4 to prevent a collision.

I call an illegal slide based on the fact that R1 intentionally took out F4 to prevent the double play even though R1 did slide in a direct line between the two bases. Coach comes out screaming. I tell him that he can't take out the runner according to 2-32-2D

1) Did I make the right call? (It appears to me from the rule 2-32-2D that a runner can't take out a fielder even if the runner is sliding in a direct line between the two bases.)

Greg

Old Thu Jul 04, 2002, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

By your description R1 did nothing illegal. The rule number you quoted is FED. There is nothing in that rule that gives you the right to call an illegal slide. R1 made a LEGAL slide, and just because you didn't like it, you called it illegal. In case you hadn't noticed before, it's the runner's job to "take out" the relay man, as long as it's a legal slide. You gave no indication that R1 did ANYTHING illegal. You goofed. No judgement here, you misinterpreted the rule.

Bob
Old Thu Jul 04, 2002, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

So are you saying that R1 can intentionally slash the fielder with his leg just so long as he is sliding in the basepath? In the situation that I described R1 could have easily avoided contact with the fielder by sliding in a direct line between the two bases away from F4. Instead he chose to intentionally slide into F4 who happen to be partly in the base path as he attempted to throw to first
Old Thu Jul 04, 2002, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

In the Fed case book 2.32.1 Situation A, an act similar to what you described occurs. Even a hard, legal slide which takes out F4 in this situation is warranted unless R1 does something to make it illegal. If the runner comes in high with his spikes, with legs slashing or kicking, or with an intent to injure the fielder, I don't see anything wrong with the slide. I don't see how the "take-out" slide you originally described violated 2.32.2D unless the runner went into F4 not just with a hard slide, but with his legs actually kicking back and forth. As bluezebra said, the "take-out" slide is a classical move in baseball. By no way does simply sliding into F4 qualify the slide as illegal, or even as a slash.
Old Fri Jul 05, 2002, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Gre144

NHFS Rules

R2 and R1 are on their respective bases. B1 hits a one hopper to F6, tosses the ball to F4 at second for the first out. From my view point R1 intentionally tries to take out F4 by sliding directly into him as he attempts to make the throw to first. However, technically R1 is sliding in a direct line between the two bases but he could have easily slid away from F4 to prevent a collision.

I call an illegal slide based on the fact that R1 intentionally took out F4 to prevent the double play even though R1 did slide in a direct line between the two bases. Coach comes out screaming. I tell him that he can't take out the runner according to 2-32-2D

1) Did I make the right call? (It appears to me from the rule 2-32-2D that a runner can't take out a fielder even if the runner is sliding in a direct line between the two bases.)

Greg R1's JOB is to slide hard and direct at the bag to break up a DP. Here's the definition of an illegal slide per FED rule 2-32-2

A slide is illegal if:

1. The runner uses a rolling, cross-body or pop up slide into the fielder, or

2.The runner's raised leg is higer than the fielder's knee when the fielder is in a standing position, or

3. The runner goes beyond the base and then makes contact with or alters the play of the fielder or

4. the runner slashes or kicks the fielder woth either leg, or

5. The runner tries to injure the fielder or

6. The runner on a force play, does not slide on the ground and in a direct line between 2 bases, unless runner is sliding in a direction away from the fielder to avoid making contact or altering the play of the fielder (8-4-2b).

Even in FED r1 can take-out F4/F6 as long as it's legal. As long as runner did not do anything illegal as outlined in 2-32-2, it's ok.

We were not there so maybe we need a clearer definition of what you mean by take -out In other words, did r1 INTEND TO injure the fielder? or was it simply good hard nosed baseball which it sounds like it was.

Remember, even though baseball isn't football, hockey or basketball it isn't CONTACT free either. Many people unfortunately think that when they see contact or a collision then Blue MUST call something.

Pete Booth

[Edited by PeteBooth on Jul 5th, 2002 at 03:09 PM]
Old Fri Jul 05, 2002, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gre144
So are you saying that R1 can intentionally slash the fielder with his leg just so long as he is sliding in the basepath? In the situation that I described R1 could have easily avoided contact with the fielder by sliding in a direct line between the two bases away from F4. Instead he chose to intentionally slide into F4 who happen to be partly in the base path as he attempted to throw to first
Your reading is as faulty as your call. I NEVER said slashing was acceptable. I said a LEGAL slide. Do you know the difference?

Please explain how a runner can slide "in a direct line between the two bases away from F4", if "F4 who happen to be partly in the base path as he attempted to throw to first"? You're contradicting yourself.

By your original post, R1 made a LEGAL slide, but you didn't like it, so you "banged" him.

Bob