The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Ruling on hand to mouth for Pitchers

Quick question: FED rules prohibit pitcher from going to his mouth without first wiping it off before handling ball (off rubber). What is the NCAA rule on that? Does he have to wipe off first or doesn't matter? And is there a difference in when he does (off the dirt vs on?). Thanks

(Reason for question is I'm watching the Alabama/Vandy game and the Vandy pitcher goes directly from his month to ball.... Just curious
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

If the pitcher is not in contact with the pitcher's rubber, the pitcher may go to the mouth while in the dirt area, ; however the pitcher must wipe off the fingers before pitching.

I heard that OBR has changed to be the same (no longer is F1 rewquired to be off the dirt).
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

If the pitcher is not in contact with the pitcher's rubber, the pitcher may go to the mouth while in the dirt area, ; however the pitcher must wipe off the fingers before pitching.

I heard that OBR has changed to be the same (no longer is F1 rewquired to be off the dirt).
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

The only time I saw him go to his mouth, he wiped his hand on his leg before addressing the rubber. I obviouly missed what you saw. I'm sure he went to his mouth more than once.

My thought process was more to the "huh, he can do that on the dirt. I didn't realize that. I thought NCAA was off the dirt like OBR, Guess I was wrong."
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

I still show the OBR rule to be as follows:
OBR 8.02 The pitcher shall not—
(a) (1) Bring his pitching hand in contact with his mouth or lips while in the 18 foot circle surrounding the pitching rubber.
EXCEPTION: Provided it is agreed to by both managers, the umpire prior to the start of a game played in cold weather, may permit the pitcher to blow on his hand.
PENALTY: For violation of this part of this rule the umpires shall immediately call a ball. However, if the pitch is made and a batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a hit batsman or otherwise, and no other runner is put out before advancing at least one base, the play shall proceed without reference to the violation. Repeated offenders shall be subject to a fine by the league president.
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

ozzy,

That's certainly what the rules posted on the MLB.com website still say.

However, the document linked below, which I found posted on the Wendelstedt Umpire School Forum, supports what Bob says.

http://umpschool.websitetoolbox.com/file?id=953138

JM
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
I still show the OBR rule to be as follows:
OBR 8.02 The pitcher shall not—
(a) (1) Bring his pitching hand in contact with his mouth or lips while in the 18 foot circle surrounding the pitching rubber.
That was changed this year as part of their "speed up" rule changes
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Wow. That's the first I have heard of this rule change. So this now matches NCAA.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
ozzy,

However, the document linked below, which I found posted on the Wendelstedt Umpire School Forum, supports what Bob says.

JM
Gentlemen, this is all well and good but when Summer ball and Legion comes, this document is useless unless the rule is changed in the book. To my knowledge, this has not been done yet.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
ozzy,

JM
Thanks.

WOW - the max bat diameter got changed ro 2.61" (less than 2 5/8"). Any clue as to why?

7.08(e) got changed to match 6.05(j) so now "tie goes to the runner" technically applies at all bases ;-)

If you are in the batter's box and unintentionally interfere with a batted ball it's foul. Not a change. BUT If one foot is out of the box it is interference - change from past practice.

Pitcher can go to mouth on the dirt (not on the plate) as long as he clearly wipes.

9.02(c) made into a God rule.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Gentlemen, this is all well and good but when Summer ball and Legion comes, this document is useless unless the rule is changed in the book. To my knowledge, this has not been done yet.
I don't think they've published the 2010 rule book on paperback yet...
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
I don't think they've published the 2010 rule book on paperback yet...
As many "interpretations", items and "rulings" from Evans....... I'll believe it when I see it in print!

Also note, that PDF from Evans has no notation of being approved by MLB, either!
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
OBR ruling is still dirt circle, regardless of wipe. Haven't seen anything in print to change what is in the book.