The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

Pre-Season Work

Since T is trying to change the subjects...

I started my regular season the other day, and even though I was in the gym working and officiating other sports (Wrestling and Basketball), and even got some preseason work in (in Ohio), my body was killing me yesterday after the DH. Part of that might have been the scores were 17-10 and 15-1, but I am in good condition. Hammys and lower back sore, and I was moving like I had lead in my feet in back half of game 2.

What do you guys do to make the transition from non-working to working games, or from other sports to Baseball? How long before your body is ready to do heavy loads of games without too much soreness?
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Follow the pre-season workouts of the local community college baseball team.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

I walk and ride my bike year round (much easier since I moved south). When I was younger I officiated Ice Hockey all winter but even the the soreness in my upper thighs lasted a few weeks into baseball season. After knee surgery again last year I tried the Davis Stance behind the plate and lo and behold I have not experienced the pain I went through all those years. That alone has dramatically cut down on aches and pains after the first couple of games. Less stress on back and legs.

I will need to go to a more protective vest because I am sitting higher but, that is much cheaper than knee and back operations which prevent me from working any games at all.

Good Luck
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

I do the same thing in the spring, that I do in mid November (when I'm in the off period between the end of fall BB&SB to basketball). 3 weeks @ 3 times a week in the gym at 60-75 min.per workout. Treadmill and bike. I adjust speed and resistance on the bike and speed and incline on the treadmill to simulate whatever my legs/thighs/calves/feet/ankles "feel" during a game. I add some weight work on the universal for my legs, thighs, and calves during my "tween" season basketball to baseball/softball workout to fight off that early season upper thigh pain you described in our post.
BTW...it took some trial and error over a few off seasons for me to figure out just what my body needed for pre-season conditioning. As with many of us, age and injuries (both nagging and serious) play a factor....esp. if we have to do any rehab.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Before baseball season begins, I add in the leg squats and plenty of stair climbing, which has dramatically cut down on the soreness after calling the first few games. Of course, properly stretching before AND after the game helps just as much as the lifting work.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Every November I get religious about going to the gym and I lift like I did when I played college football, 4 days a week. Also, a few years ago I started running as well. I run 4-5 days a week, 3-6 miles. It might seem like a lot, but it sure helps. And bonus is my kids 4 and 18 months ask to go to the gym. I hope they never lose that.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys

I appreciate the hints and helps. I have done a lot of the things you have suggested from squats to stretches. I have started getting to sites 90minutes early to have extra time to get loose. Felt great after 9 inning plate game today.

Keep the ideas coming!
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 08:20pm
Veteran College Umpire

If you have a video of yourself working a game, pop it in and call along with it. You'll get the squats and timing down. If you don't scare the dog, go ahead and yell out the strikes, too - then you won't lose your voice once the season begins.

JJ
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
Since T is trying to change the subjects...

I started my regular season the other day, and even though I was in the gym working and officiating other sports (Wrestling and Basketball), and even got some preseason work in (in Ohio), my body was killing me yesterday after the DH. Part of that might have been the scores were 17-10 and 15-1, but I am in good condition. Hammys and lower back sore, and I was moving like I had lead in my feet in back half of game 2.

What do you guys do to make the transition from non-working to working games, or from other sports to Baseball? How long before your body is ready to do heavy loads of games without too much soreness?
I will go to local high schools and colleges and call pitches during their bullpen and live hitting sessions. This gets my eyes ready. I also bring a video camera for the first few sessions so I can see myself on tape.