The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
Randy: are you sure that's Leyland? It sure looks like him, but there isn't a Marlboro anywhere in sight.
Good point.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 12:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
What happens if you wear what's not "allowed"? Fewer or no assignments? School won't pay? Here, state tournament assignments are withheld. If you're on the recommended list, a rep comes out to evaluate you. Prohibited colors automatically disqualify you from further consideration. By the time districts are over, summer ball (with better pay and better players) has started, so missing the state tourney isn't much of a "penalty".
The official threat is withholding postseason, but they could strip a license for repeated non-compliance and it's just not worth it to me.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
Did you even read my post that isn't currently up in this thread?
Yes, of course. You think what's happening is a joke? Try looking around you occasionally. It's no joke. Not even in a one-sided environment like this.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

Geez, Kevin

How many congress people have you called, e-mailed, etc?
How many rallys have you been to?
How many times have you stood up in front of groups and talked about what is happening in the Sudan, Myrammar, and most recently in Nigeria, and in other places?

I'll be very happy to talk about these issues in any forum, anytime, no matter how heated the kitchen gets. But humor in an umpiring thread about uniforms is not the place to get all wound up about it IMO.

Bob, I am sorry my attempt at humor has gotten us to this place.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

You shouldn't need to apologize, because you shouldn't be making jokes about what's going on to try to fix the mess we're in. If you think what's going on to try to clean up this epic mess is a joke, then you need to see more of what this mess has created.

Respective to your questions: I'm very involved in a good many ways. Due to that, I'm also very aware. Borne of that awareness and devotion to making things better, I spend more hours and more money and more belongings each week helping homeless veterans than you and most people spend in a year---maybe ten years. They are possibly the most vivid illustration of how far we have sunk as a nation and a society.

I put up and I care, and when people carry on with this weak crap about the efforts being made to make this country responsible again, it's especially grating. It's that simple. I love this country, but I love the people in it far more. I want to see it be the kind of nation that actually appears to care about those in need, of which there are a greater number than at any time in history.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Matthew 6:2-4
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Nice Statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
You shouldn't need to apologize, because you shouldn't be making jokes about what's going on to try to fix the mess we're in. If you think what's going on to try to clean up this epic mess is a joke, then you need to see more of what this mess has created.

Respective to your questions: I'm very involved in a good many ways. Due to that, I'm also very aware. Borne of that awareness and devotion to making things better, I spend more hours and more money and more belongings each week helping homeless veterans than you and most people spend in a year---maybe ten years. They are possibly the most vivid illustration of how far we have sunk as a nation and a society.

I put up and I care, and when people carry on with this weak crap about the efforts being made to make this country responsible again, it's especially grating. It's that simple. I love this country, but I love the people in it far more. I want to see it be the kind of nation that actually appears to care about those in need, of which there are a greater number than at any time in history.
Kevin,

Good thoughts, but you are not the only guy who puts his money, time, and effort where his mouth is. I wrote a piece that was a joke, you didn't like it, let's just leave it at that w/o any more hard feelings. It's a baseball board, let's get back to baseball.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 11:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
. Like I said, they're not stupid 'cause they know half you guys are frothing at the mouth to get at these new dudes right now.
I'm not sure anyone here is frothing at the mouth to get at these dudes. What dudes?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

My three man crew on the night game on Saint Patrick's Day all wore green umpire shirts. Even the PU was named Patrick. Everyone thought it was pretty cool.

Keep your baby blue shirts, and your MLB smocks. If a T-Ball Mom says I look good, I'm taking her word over any of you guys here. (No, I wasn't umpiring a T-Ball game. But I might think about it now).
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
Matthew 6:2-4
Appropriate, yet surely wasted.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I'm not sure anyone here is frothing at the mouth to get at these dudes. What dudes?
Sorry, I was listening to one of my favorite albums whilst typing.

Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 08:26pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Randy: are you sure that's Leyland? It sure looks like him, but there isn't a Marlboro anywhere in sight.
He had the bat boy hold it for him while he went out for the explanation...
JJ