The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Side piping and new stripe patterns on ML uniforms (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/57567-side-piping-new-stripe-patterns-ml-uniforms.html)

Rich Tue Mar 16, 2010 02:33pm

Side piping and new stripe patterns on ML uniforms

Head over to http://uniwatchblog.com -- here's a summary:

Yesterday afternoon I was kinda half-working, half-watching the Mets/Cards spring training game on my computer. At one point a Mets hitter checked his swing and the catcher asked the plate ump to get help from the third base ump regarding the swing. The third base ump gave the safe sign to indicate no swing, and that’s when I saw it.
Ugh. Had they really added white side piping to the umps’ polo shirts? I checked some recent spring training photos and quickly learned that this has been going on for a few weeks but I hadn’t noticed until now. Sharp-eyed readers may have noticed that they’ve also made some adjustments to the trim on the sleeve cuffs and collars.
But it’s the side piping that really rankles. Seriously, what is this obsession with adding side panels to officials? It always looks like ****e. And in this case, the combination of the side stripes and the oddly incomplete sleeve cuff stripes makes it look like the ump is covered in loose white threads (or maybe wearing tzitzis). I mean really, who thought those incomplete cuff stripes were a good idea? What a joke.
This same template also appears to have been applied to the umps’ blue shirt. I haven’t had time to check all the other umpiring gear, but I know lots of people at Majestic are reading this, so maybe one of them will be kind enough to fill us in, hmmm?

kylejt Tue Mar 16, 2010 03:05pm

Majestic, even with all their supply problems, is not stupid. They know if they change the styles on their MLB stuff, there are lots of umpire groupies out there that just HAVE to wear what they do. Witness the dopey half sleeved smocks.

Black and polo (baby) blue have been around a while, and we all have several of those. So what's our incentive to buy more shirts? OC proved that we won't go for just any color, so Majestic changed the detailing instead.

Like I said, they're not stupid 'cause they know half you guys are frothing at the mouth to get at these new dudes right now.

p.s. Yeah, they're really ugly.

UMP25 Tue Mar 16, 2010 03:13pm

But is it Majestic? It has long been Honig's who every year got the MLB guys to change their uniform just so Honig's could then claim some sort of exclusivity and sell tons of the stuff to the non-professionals who just have to have it.

kylejt Tue Mar 16, 2010 03:20pm

One picture shows the Majestic logo on the left sleeve.

zm1283 Tue Mar 16, 2010 03:58pm

The blue shirts now look like powder blue softball shirts. Not a fan of getting rid of the polo shirts with the black collar.

kylejt Tue Mar 16, 2010 04:35pm

I'm for pitching all the baby blue shirts (powder, softball, polo, or whatever name you wish to call baby blue) 'cause they're fruity lookin'.

There, I said it.

And there is no way on God's green Earth that any of you manly men would be wear this color if your heroes on TV didn't.

Me, I'd like a Kelly green jersey. Something that would match the grass. Or a brick red. Not the vivid Dalco red, but more like the wall in Wrigley.

mrm21711 Tue Mar 16, 2010 07:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 668554)
One picture shows the Majestic logo on the left sleeve.

As we know, MLB have been wearing Majestic shirts for quite a while now. Before that, they were Honig's shirts.

Can somebody say for certain on this - do MLB guys still get the shirts through Honig's (just with the Majestic logos)? Somebody posted something to this extent before, but I cant remember specifically what/where it was. And doesnt the World Umpires Association have a uniform committee of MLB umpires?

There is no doubt in my mind that this new style will trickle down in the coming years. Probably not in a material like the Majestic "cool base" material, but the style will trickle down.

DG Tue Mar 16, 2010 09:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 668571)
Me, I'd like a Kelly green jersey. Something that would match the grass. Or a brick red. Not the vivid Dalco red, but more like the wall in Wrigley.

Now there, is a fruity suggestion, or two.

Kevin Finnerty Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:20pm

The black is barely passable; the polo is awful.

The broken trim stripe on the sleeve is stupid looking, and the trim stripe on the side is needless and also stupid looking.

UMP25 Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:23pm

At what point do these guys begin to look like they're in their pajamas?

Kevin Finnerty Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:30pm

At this point:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4008/...80b178b0_o.png

UMP25 Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:31pm

Leyland doesn't look that hot either in his maternity jacket.

Kevin Finnerty Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:28pm

What's with all the piping on g--damned uniforms?

Rich Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:46am

They're like Elbecos with less buttons and better fabric.

Rich Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 668571)
I'm for pitching all the baby blue shirts (powder, softball, polo, or whatever name you wish to call baby blue) 'cause they're fruity lookin'.

There, I said it.

And there is no way on God's green Earth that any of you manly men would be wear this color if your heroes on TV didn't.

Let me guess -- YOU'RE the one who bought the OfficialsChoice shirts in weird colors -- how many chocolate and maroon shirts do you have? :D:p