The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen that and similar devices used.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Until NFHS defines exactly what a "weighted bat" is, then unless it can be deemed unsafe. Let them Play

The rules are just not clear. "Only bats and devices designed to remain part of
the bat, such as weighted bats"

Is a weighted bat "a device that remains part of the bat"? Then its not a bat, its a part of the bat Blah, Blah Blah Blah Blah ........?????????????????:conf used:
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

What about weighted hands?
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Until NFHS defines exactly what a "weighted bat" is, then unless it can be deemed unsafe. Let them Play

The rules are just not clear. "Only bats and devices designed to remain part of
the bat, such as weighted bats"

Is a weighted bat "a device that remains part of the bat"? Then its not a bat, its a part of the bat Blah, Blah Blah Blah Blah ........?????????????????:conf used:
That brings up an interesting point. What about a dougnut? They are used all over the place, but they are not a device designed to remain part of the bat. So are they illegal? Playing devil's advocate here...This thing is closer to meeting the rules than doughnuts.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
What about weighted hands?
They are part of a weighted bat!!
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue View Post
That brings up an interesting point. What about a dougnut? They are used all over the place, but they are not a device designed to remain part of the bat. So are they illegal? Playing devil's advocate here...This thing is closer to meeting the rules than doughnuts.
Both are legal, since both are mentioned as legal in 1-3-3.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Both are legal, since both are mentioned as legal in 1-3-3.

I realize they are legal that's why I quoted the post above mine - To point out the "designed to remain part of the bat" which is where the rules quote ended - and donuts are not designed to remain part of the bat.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
In the spirit of the rule, it is not a sledge hammer or some other such thing that creates more of a hazard. This is something designed as a weighted warm-up device that is decidedly bat-like.

I think I'll bring it up to the rules chairman, and I think I'll allow it until I hear otherwise, just like I did today.
amen
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

I would allow, and not seek clarification. If the handle looks like a bat, and the other end is weighted, it's a weighted warmup bat.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Baseball Donuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue View Post
1-3-3 doesn't mention the batting sleeves which are legal and have replaced the original batting donuts which I believe are illegal. Thought they (LL and FED) said no to "original" baseball donuts. Reason for long weighted sleeves and new models of weighted bats being designed by manufacturers which do not "fly off" at the handle. Reason iron bars became popular around here. Concerns over safety issues brought about legal concerns. If donuts owners were broke to begin with, why pay more for the same amount of benefit?

Last edited by SAump; Thu Mar 04, 2010 at 11:12pm.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
1-3-3 doesn't mention the batting sleeves which are legal and have replaced the original batting donuts which I believe are illegal. Thought they (LL and FED) said no to "original" baseball donuts. Reason for long weighted sleeves and new models of weighted bats being designed by manufacturers which do not "fly off" at the handle. Reason iron bars became popular around here. Concerns over safety issues brought about legal concerns. If donuts owners were broke to begin with, why pay more for the same amount of benefit?
Again, 1-3-3 specifically states donuts are legal.

LL banned donuts years ago. I assume that ban is still in place; haven't done a game there in over a decade.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Day Old Donuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Again, 1-3-3 specifically states donuts are legal.

LL banned donuts years ago. I assume that ban is still in place; haven't done a game there in over a decade.
I wikied baseball donut and saw a picture of Pudge swinging a bat in a Rangers uniform. The donut on his bat is the larger 6-inch legal version found across the country today. It isn't the bat-size 1-inch rubber coated iron donut popular 20 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_doughnut

If the little donut is sold by DiMarini and is legal, on which MLB club on-deck circle will I find it? Is there a major college baseball team swinging DiMarini bats along with the $7 Dimarini donuts in the on-deck circle?

http://www.weplaysports.com/bat/weight/

Last edited by SAump; Fri Mar 05, 2010 at 10:35pm.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 11:35pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
how or why do you not think this is a weighted bat/ warm up bat?
It doesn't have a barrel.

'No one is calling this a "bat" but a "weighted bat".'

I suppose I can concede that, if "weighted bat" is a compound noun. I read it as a noun modified by an adjective. For it to be a "weighted bat", it must first be a bat.

Regardless, I missed the question. Chris didn't ask if it was a bat, a weighted bat, or a bacon double cheeseburger; he asked if it was legal for a batter to have it in the on-deck circle under FED rules.

I don't think they're legal, and don't care. I won't ban them even if is determined they are not, just as I've never balked a "gorilla-arming" pitcher, made anybody get rid of "big-league chew", wrote a report over baseballs without a NFHS stamp, told anyone sua sponte to get rid of jewelry, restricted anyone to the dugout, or enforced a host of other FED stupidity, either.
Old Sat Mar 06, 2010, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
I wikied baseball donut and saw a picture of Pudge swinging a bat in a Rangers uniform. The donut on his bat is the larger 6-inch legal version found across the country today. It isn't the bat-size 1-inch rubber coated iron donut popular 20 years ago.

Baseball doughnut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If the little donut is sold by DiMarini and is legal, on which MLB club on-deck circle will I find it? Is there a major college baseball team swinging DiMarini bats along with the $7 Dimarini donuts in the on-deck circle?

Bat Weights
1) We're discussing (I think) FED rules, so "what's found in MLB on-deck circles" is irrelevant.

2) Just because something isn't found there, doesn't make it illegal. They are just as (or more) susceptible to trends as anyone else.

3) It's possible that having the weight distributed over a larger area provides some benefit to the batter (or at least that someone made that calim). Again, this has nothing to do with legality.
Old Sat Mar 06, 2010, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Vintage 1" donuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
1) We're discussing (I think) FED rules, so "what's found in MLB on-deck circles" is irrelevant.
My point is the donut sleeve is legal in LL, HS, NCAA, MiLB and MLB. The fact that rule 1-3-3 states "batting donut" may reflect the age difference between those who write the rules and those who play the game on the field while using an approved batting donut sleeve in the warmup circle. Modern equipment generally replaces vintage equipment on the field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
2) Just because something isn't found there, doesn't make it illegal. They are just as (or more) susceptible to trends as anyone else.
The possibility of misrepresenting FED approval of the traditional batting donut looms. The legal question is, "What is the FED policy on the batting donut which LL baseball does not permit on the field?"

Last edited by SAump; Sat Mar 06, 2010 at 11:02pm.