The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgone View Post
I was going to ask this question in another thread but I'll just add it on here.
I gave a presentation at a winter baseball clinic recently on the running lane. I used alot of the material in Carl Childress(my personal umpiring hero) 2004
book The Usual Suspects. That material talks about the running lane being created in 1882 and that at the time the foul line ran directly through the middle of both first & third base.
Two questions for someone who has the knowledge:
1) When was the foul line(actually fair line) moved to the edge of the base?
2) When they did that did they compensate for the 90 degree angle at home
and move second to keep the diamond a perfect square?
The didn't move the line - they moved the base bag - which makes Q2 moot.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

TussAgee11: Well, you said, "or any other base," and the J/R (in the specific case of BR INT before reaching 1B, not in the case of generic INT by a runner) restricts the intervening play to a failed attempt to get the runner from 3B scoring.

It's not likely to happen, but if the batter bunted, the defense played on R2 at 3B but R2 was safe, and then the BR interfered with the throw and was out before reaching 1B, R2 would have to return to 2B.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
2) When they did that did they compensate for the 90 degree angle at home and move second to keep the diamond a perfect square?
1) 1887. "When the National League and American Association used the same rules starting in 1887, two changes took place. Third and first bases moved seven and one half inches, toward second base, so that they were entirely in fair ground. Also the 30 yard mark fell upon the back rear corner first and third base." Baseball History: 19th Century Baseball: The Field: Evolution of the Bases and Foul Lines

2) No. "The first and third base bags shall be entirely within the infield. The second base bag shall be centered on second base." OBR 1.06. So the base points are a perfect 90 foot square, but the centerfield corner of the second base bag is ~10.6 inches hopefully East-Northeast of the second base point.

Last edited by Paul L; Sun Feb 21, 2010 at 04:25pm.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Not to be picky here...I'm just mathematically curious. So the perfect 90 degree square goes from the apex of home to the back right corner of first to the exact middle of second base to the back left corner of third? Interesting that it is 90 feet from the apex to the BACK of first or third but 90 feet to second is to the MIDDLE of the bag. I'm wondering if that is because when they moved first & third in 1887 they left second where it was.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post

It's not likely to happen, but if the batter bunted, the defense played on R2 at 3B but R2 was safe, and then the BR interfered with the throw and was out before reaching 1B, R2 would have to return to 2B.
I just don't understand why it would be different just because the base changed. What makes home any different than third?

Not disputing your claim, if J/R differentiates fine. What language do they use? If they are just using the home to first play as their example, it doesn't mean it theoretically can't happen elsewhere, even if its not practical as the play you described above.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not to be picky here...I'm just mathematically curious. So the perfect 90 degree square goes from the apex of home to the back right corner of first to the exact middle of second base to the back left corner of third? Interesting that it is 90 feet from the apex to the BACK of first or third but 90 feet to second is to the MIDDLE of the bag. I'm wondering if that is because when they moved first & third in 1887 they left second where it was.
Yup and yup. Follow the link for a fascinating discussion of the historical details.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Yes, if you drew a perfect square it would hit back right corner of first, middle of second, and back left corner of third. It is because 2nd was never moved when 1st and 3rd were.
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
RTFM

Rule 2.00 (Interference) Comment: In the event the batter-runner has not reached first base, all runners shall return to the base last occupied at the time of the pitch.
Is rule 6.05k officially "interference"? Does Riches' reference apply here? I think it probably does but when I brought this up a few months ago, some disagreed.
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

rbmartin,

Yes, a "runner's lane interference" is officially interference.

Rich's cite applies unless the defense has attempted an "intervening play" prior to the interference.

"Some" were incorrect.

JM
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Two questions for someone who has the knowledge:
2) When they did that did they compensate for the 90 degree angle at home
and move second to keep the diamond a perfect square?
1. Not sure. But I do know the line went from corner to corner when it split the bag. Just curious - why do you want to know?

2. No. The new layout eliminated the "perfect diamond" or square. The diamond is now a bit out of whack geometrically (technically speaking).
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

chris,

Technically speaking, the rule book infield is STILL a perfect geometric square.

JM
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
chris,

Technically speaking, the rule book infield is STILL a perfect geometric square.

JM
What throws some people off is that the pitcher's plate is NOT on the diagonal.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cviverito View Post
1. Not sure. But I do know the line went from corner to corner when it split the bag. Just curious - why do you want to know?

2. No. The new layout eliminated the "perfect diamond" or square. The diamond is now a bit out of whack geometrically (technically speaking).
No, the infield is a perfect square - by rule. The actual base is the point on the ground at the corners of the square.

See 1.04 When location of home base is determined, with a steel tape measure 127 feet, 3⅜ inches in desired direction to establish second base. From home base, measure 90 feet toward first base; from second base, measure 90 feet toward first base; the intersection of these lines establishes first base. From home base, measure 90 feet toward third base; from second base, measure 90 feet toward third base; the intersection of these lines establishes third base.

Home plate and the bags are markers for the bases, and are positioned differently at the different corners.

1.05 Home base shall be marked by a five-sided slab of whitened rubber. . . It shall be set in the ground with the point at the intersection of the lines extending from home base to first base and to third base;

1.06 First, second and third bases shall be marked by white canvas bags, securely attached to the ground as indicated in Diagram 2. The first and third base bags shall be entirely within the infield. The second base bag shall be centered on second base.