Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 25, 2006, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Batter-Runner Running to first...

Rule 8 - Section 4 - Article 1:
The batter-runner is out when:
g. he runs outside the 3 foot running lane (last half of the distance from home plate to first base), while the ball is being fielded or thrown to first base;

now if there was a runner on first, is this an immediate/delayed dead ball or is it live? Also, does the runner have to return to first or not?
Old Tue Jul 25, 2006, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry .... FED rules

Fed Rules...............
Old Tue Jul 25, 2006, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Errrrrrrrrrrr...the batter/runner is only out if running outside of the running lane for the last 45' if he INTERFERES with a thrown ball to first base.
Old Tue Jul 25, 2006, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxblue
Errrrrrrrrrrr...the batter/runner is only out if running outside of the running lane for the last 45' if he INTERFERES with a thrown ball to first base.

If he is 5 feet inside the diamond on the grass and the ball hits him 5 feet from getting to the 45' line, I will call him out!!! What is his intent?
Old Tue Jul 25, 2006, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

i understand that

i know he has to be 45 feet away from first. if one foot is out of the throwing lane while a play is beign made on him he can be called out. in the case im talking about the ball was thrown by the catcher and it hit him in the helmet. now my inquiry was IS IT A DEAD BALL OR LIVE BALL AND CAN THE RUNNER ON FIRST ADVACE
Old Tue Jul 25, 2006, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Dead ball. R1 back to first.
Old Tue Jul 25, 2006, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

thats what i THINK the ruling

I would think dead ball and runenrs return but i am having trouble finding it in the FED rule book. Any info?
Old Tue Jul 25, 2006, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukinrox
Rule 8 - Section 4 - Article 1:
The batter-runner is out when:
g. he runs outside the 3 foot running lane (last half of the distance from home plate to first base), while the ball is being fielded or thrown to first base;

now if there was a runner on first, is this an immediate/delayed dead ball or is it live? Also, does the runner have to return to first or not?
Immediate dead ball. Runners return to the base occupied at the time of interference (FED).

Under OBR, runners return to the base occupied at TOP if this was the first play. If there was an intervening play, runners return to the base occupied TOI.
Old Tue Jul 25, 2006, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef
If he is 5 feet inside the diamond on the grass and the ball hits him 5 feet from getting to the 45' line, I will call him out!!! What is his intent?
RonRef,

What's your thinking here?

Let's see...you call the runner out with no basis in the rules. The defense makes what sounds like a pretty crappy throw to 1B with the BR 50' away from 1B - so they obviously had time to find a throwing lane. If you call out my runner in this situation, I would be inclined to protest your misapplication of the rules.

JM
Old Tue Jul 25, 2006, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxblue

NO. If he interferes with the opportunity to make a catch at 1B.

"If he is 5 feet inside the diamond on the grass and the ball hits him 5 feet from getting to the 45' line, I will call him out!!! What is his intent?"

Sloppy base running. But even sloppier throwing. If the B/R is five feet on the grass, there is ample room to make a good throw to 1B.

Bob
Old Tue Jul 25, 2006, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra
NO. If he interferes with the opportunity to make a catch at 1B.
This thread is about Federation rules which do not allow the runner to interfere with the throw.
Old Tue Jul 25, 2006, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The OOO lives!
Old Tue Jul 25, 2006, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

FED:

SITUATION 19: B1 bunts and F2 fields the ball in fair territory in front of home plate. B1 is running in foul territory when F2, in fair territory, throws errantly and hits B1 in the back. B1 continues running and touches first base. RULING: The play stands. F2 made an errant throw. Although B1 was not in the running lane, his position did not interfere with F2’s throw. (8-4-1g Exception)

SITUATION 20: As B1 bunts, F2 fields the ball in front of home plate in fair ground. B1 is running in fair ground as he nears first base. F2 realizes he does not have a line of sight to F3 and tries to lob the ball over B1. F3 leaps but cannot catch the ball. RULING: B1 is out for interference. Although F2 made an errant throw, B1 is guilty of interference by being out of the 3-foot running lane. (8-4-1g)

Bob
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ToGreySt
are these situations similar in OBR?

Joe
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
if a batted ball hits the fence i'll call that a home run. it was close enough, and the batter intended to hit it really hard. it probably only needed an extra 5 feet.