The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Bob, our first association meeting is in 3 weeks. Please prepare your PowerPoints and e-mail me for directions.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 07:19pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
What?
I was expanding on that type of play...if PU slides up to 3B for a potential play, if that ball gets away from F5, you're going to have to race R3 to the plate or rotate BU home and there aren't many manuals that want BU taking any plays at home unless he goes out from A and rotates back to the plate.

I think I'm making sense...but maybe not.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with you. IMO that rotation has to much that can go wrong even with good communication. Except for the base hit with runner on 1st I like o stay home.....
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bob, our first association meeting is in 3 weeks. Please prepare your PowerPoints and e-mail me for directions.
No kidding. That's as clear and succinct a breakdown as I've ever seen, and matches our association's mechanics, too. Nicely struck, Mr. Jenkins!

Bob James

"The prompt and correct judgements of the honorable umpire elicited applause from the members of both clubs, and their thanks are tendered to him for the gentlemanly manner in which he acquitted himself of that onerous duty." - Niagara Indexensis, May 20th 1872
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

To answer the original post (and assuming the original post was talking about a groundball in the infield where the base umpire would make a call at first, and then have to make a call at third on a runner trying to advance from second base to third base while the ball was being thrown to first base):

For the sake of uniformity our high school association adopted the MiLB two-man mechanics ("the red book"). Since they have the plate umpire remaining at home on a ground ball in the infield, and the base umpire taking both the play at first and the play at third base on the runner attempting to advance...that is how we do it.

As for the theory behind why the base umpire takes the play and the plate umpire stays home: I defer to PBUC (who publishes the "red book") since they eat, sleep and drink umpiring 24/7 for 365 and must have a good reason for adopting this mechanic. Unfortunately, I do not have my red book in front of me as I type this to tell you what their printed theory is.

But to answer the original question: we do it because (1) we need uniformity and (2) that's how they do it at the highest level of baseball umpired by a two umpire crew.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump View Post
As for the theory behind why the base umpire takes the play and the plate umpire stays home: I defer to PBUC (who publishes the "red book") since they eat, sleep and drink umpiring 24/7 for 365 and must have a good reason for adopting this mechanic. Unfortunately, I do not have my red book in front of me as I type this to tell you what their printed theory is.
Even in PBUC, the "right" answer goes back and forth. First, "BU has both plays" is standard, but "PU can come up" is allowed as an "advanced mechanic." Then, "PU has the play" is standard, with "BU has both" being the advanced. Then, switched again.

My theory: On some plays, it's better for BU to take it; on some, it's better for PU to take it. But, you don't know which type of play you have until it's over (or at least too late to react). So, someone gets burned under one mechanic, and switches. Then, someone else gets burned under the change, and changes back.

My conclusion: Coaches "understand" that the play at third could be tough for either umpire, and they'd rather have the help on a pulled-foot or swipe tag at first. So, PU should stay home and BU should have both calls.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Even in PBUC, the "right" answer goes back and forth. First, "BU has both plays" is standard, but "PU can come up" is allowed as an "advanced mechanic." Then, "PU has the play" is standard, with "BU has both" being the advanced. Then, switched again.

My theory: On some plays, it's better for BU to take it; on some, it's better for PU to take it. But, you don't know which type of play you have until it's over (or at least too late to react). So, someone gets burned under one mechanic, and switches. Then, someone else gets burned under the change, and changes back.

My conclusion: Coaches "understand" that the play at third could be tough for either umpire, and they'd rather have the help on a pulled-foot or swipe tag at first. So, PU should stay home and BU should have both calls.

So much for PBUC having a "good theory". When I was in MiLB, BU took both.