The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
I cannot picture a "Bobby Cox" moment IF I select to take on this task.

Regards,
I hope that you reflect on your body of work and choose to go out as an umpire.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Just curious. How many of you actually were a manager/head coach (assistant doesn't count)?

It's a whole different world.
12 years, all head coach, ages 7-18 (as my kids aged up). Some years multiple teams, head on one team assistant on another (2 sons). Numerous post season tournament coaching opportunities. Only 1 losing season, and career winning percentage is likely in the 75% range.

I actually took up umpiring high school during this time, and always planned to continue umpiring when I hung up the clipboard.

I was also a League Commissioner 3 or 4 years and Babe Ruth District Commissioner for 3 or 4 years during this time.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
I hope that you reflect on your body of work and choose to go out as an umpire.
Tee should NOT go out and talk to the officials as an umpire but as a COACH. Tee can speak for himself but IMO he was referring to the MANNER in which he might come out and talk to the officials and that MANNER is not Bobby Cox like who holds the record for getting tossed. That IMO is what Tee was referring to.

I believe most of us do not want a coach giving us an "umpire lecture" out there on the field similar to us as officials telling a coach how to coach his team.

As I stated in a previous post, each particpant in the game has a separate and distinct function. If Tee does decide to take the coaching job his job is that of a COACH and not an umpire. If he does in fact request TIME and talk to the officials he talks to them in a civil tone (which I believe Tee would) BUT talks to them as a coach NOT an umpire. Obviously it can help your team when you are an umpire and KNOW the rules, BUT the bottom line is you are now the COACH with a different role.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post
Tee should NOT go out and talk to the officials as an umpire but as a COACH. Tee can speak for himself but IMO he was referring to the MANNER in which he might come out and talk to the officials and that MANNER is not Bobby Cox like who holds the record for getting tossed. That IMO is what Tee was referring to.

I believe most of us do not want a coach giving us an "umpire lecture" out there on the field similar to us as officials telling a coach how to coach his team.

As I stated in a previous post, each particpant in the game has a separate and distinct function. If Tee does decide to take the coaching job his job is that of a COACH and not an umpire. If he does in fact request TIME and talk to the officials he talks to them in a civil tone (which I believe Tee would) BUT talks to them as a coach NOT an umpire. Obviously it can help your team when you are an umpire and KNOW the rules, BUT the bottom line is you are now the COACH with a different role.

Pete Booth
In was not referring to Tee "going out" on the umpires. I interpreted his post as saying he had not yet decided to take the coaching position. Tee's reputation is based on an incredibly solid body of work as an umpire and I was just voicing my hope that he when he left baseball, it would be as an umpire, not a coach.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes

Quote:
"Tee's reputation is based on an incredibly solid body of work as an umpire and I was just voicing my hope that he when he left baseball, it would be as an umpire, not a coach."
Maybe I should be smart enough to listen to those who give great advice.

Thanks.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

I can't wait to throw Tim out of a game!
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Tee's reputation is based on an incredibly solid body of work as an umpire and I was just voicing my hope that he when he left baseball, it would be as an umpire, not a coach."
Quote:
Maybe I should be smart enough to listen to those who give great advice.

Thanks.
Baseball men never leave baseball.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Thu Jan 07, 2010 at 07:17pm.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 01:35am

Quote:
Actually these are the best individual players in the +30 league. They are banding together (BTW, they are all going to wear uniforms they already own from past teams -- kinda like the Arizona Fall League All-Stars -- few of them will match).
This practice is not allowed in the SDABL (NABA) league here. The term "uniform" is taken quite literally, and they want their teams to dress alike.

BTW, I just did two SDABL Championships today and have another tomorrow for the 28A Division. Not bad for a league rookie umpire. I was also given high praise after today's morning game for my plate work by none other than the league president and the division commissioner. I'm enjoying umpiring this far more than the high school ball.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Sun Jan 10, 2010 at 01:40am.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just curious. How many of you actually were a manager/head coach (assistant doesn't count)?

Five years of little league with two differents sons, and also two years as a head freshman coach at the high school level. I loved coaching and prefer it to umpiring. However, the time committments at the high school level were just too much for me especially still having kids that play (used to have four, down to one now). Freshman doubleheaders around here are played at 10am so I didn't miss any of my kids games but it was tough to do that and get my hours in at work (I am not a teacher). I loved it though.

I had umpired for several years before I coached high school so I knew how to treat umpires, plus I had worked with some of the guys. I didn't let my kids give umpires any grief or disrespect; if they did they sat. I told them that the umpires would be at least as good at umpiring as they were at playing at this stage in their development so they had no room to complain. I also had a meeting with my parents before the season started and told them that I and the school expected them to treat the game officials with courtesy and respect as well, and if they didn't they would be asked to leave. Had one problem in two years, told the parent to be quiet or they would have to leave and they shut up. No matter how good or bad I thought the umps were at my games, win or lose, I always thanked them at the end of the day for coming out. It isn't easy to find guys willing to work freshman games.

Parent issues are the biggest problem as everyone thinks that their kid is the next Derek Jeter. In high school, I told parents that I would never discuss playing time with them and I didn't. Of course my philosophy was that everyone played in one game or the other of each doubleheader so that diffused a lot of problems, but I would have some kids play a partial game if I had more than 18 players on occasion. I would discuss it with the kid, never the parent. I miss coaching, and actually loved practice more than the games in some respects. I enjoyed teaching the game to the kids because I love it so much myself. Umpiring is a way for me to stay around the game I love while still being able to maintain as much free time as I want to have.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, but

Quote:

But it is the same game, and a manager is in the same position as an umpire, you are there to facilitate the players being able to play, learn, and enjoy the game. Therefore, Tee can do the job if he wants to do it the right way.

He can't be Bobby Cox, but you don't have to be Bobby Cox to win.

I am still confused Tee, why give up umpiring? I have not heard a good reason yet from you about it!
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 09:31pm
Stop staring at me swan.

No offense intended...but does he need to give us a reason?
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

G

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
No offense intended...but does he need to give us a reason?
No Offense taken.

I'm unsuccessfully trying to pull Tee's chain a little bit, but I am sad anyone retires from officiating, unless they are physically unable to do it anymore. From what I remember, Tee is retiring for other reasons, which I hate to hear about.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

jk

Quote:
"Tee is retiring for other reasons, which I hate to hear about."
John:

I thought I was crystal clear in "why" I retired from active umpiring:

I strongly dislike umpiring games.

Each year for the last four years I have worked fewer games each year in an attempt to enjoy wasting from 3 to 4 hours a day to work games.

Let me explain that last statement:

I feel that umpires need to have both a well thoughtout and complete pregame meeting with their partners. I also believe that there is a great opportunity to teach umpiring by post game conversations. Add to that travel during rush hour in the PDX area the committment of time (mostly away from my job) AND the fact that parents attend games things just quit being enjoyable.

John, I have also made it clear that I am applying for a "Lifetime Membership" with my local association. If I am elected to that prestigious membership then I can do everything if my local group (teach, evaluate, be a board member, etc.) with the exception of umpiring games.

This has to be a "win-win", right? Why on earth would anyone "question" when ANYONE retires at the top of their game rather than waiting until they make a joke of themselves?

As I said before: "It is much better to retire two years too early rather than one year too late!"

Respectfully,
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

I raise a glass in a toast to you Tee!!!!!! I have read your articles and posts and have gained a better knowledge of the game from them. It's sad to see a great one step away from the game but worse yet to not have him enjoy the work anymore. Have a happy time in your new vocation.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry T

I am still in shock you are retiring, so the reasons why never really sunk in. My apologies.

Still, I hope the itch comes back and you scratch it!