The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Partner Not Willing To Take Care of Business (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/55750-partner-not-willing-take-care-business.html)

ozzy6900 Wed Dec 09, 2009 09:33am

Partner Not Willing To Take Care of Business

So you are settled in at the plate and your partner has had a few bangers. He seems to be doing fine although Coach PITA has had a few comments on the base calls.

R1 & R3, no outs and both are off with the pitch. There is a hot grounder to F6 who chooses to heave it to F3 and get the BR. You had no choice but "stay home" (you signaled to your partner that you were "staying home") so your partner has all the base calls. He bang out the BR, and Coach PITA starts another disapproval concert from the 3rd base box.

Your partner just goes to his position and says nothing to Coach PITA when the Coach hollers, "Damn, Billy! That's two you've blown so far!". Your partner says absolutley nothing and you are fuming over this Coach.

Now I know that this has happened to all of us and I would like to know what my brothers would do.

Do you dump Coach PITA?
Do you tell Coach PITA "That's enough!"?
Do you do nothing?

PABlue Wed Dec 09, 2009 09:45am

You have to give him time to take care of this on his own. I might not like the actions of the coach but he's getting a LONG leash from me before I'll step in.

mbyron Wed Dec 09, 2009 09:47am

Depends on partner's experience. With a rookie I'll step in.

KJUmp Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 640942)
Depends on partner's experience. With a rookie I'll step in.

I agree with this....need to have the back of a new guy. With a vet....tough one...we've all worked with vets that shock you with their "lack of intestinal fortitude" to take care of business. They just make it harder for other umpires.

Chris_Hickman Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:59am

Quote:

R1 & R3, no outs and both are off with the pitch. There is a hot grounder to F6 who chooses to heave it to F3 and get the BR. You had no choice but "stay home" (you signaled to your partner that you were "staying home") so your partner has all the base calls. He bang out the BR, and Coach PITA starts another disapproval concert from the 3rd base box.

I was wondering... this is a routine grounder. Why do you need to signal to your partner that "you" are stayin' home? The only signalling at pre-pitch is a 1st to 3rd rotation. This whole post sounds kinda weird to me.....

bossman72 Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:06am

What would a good reply be to this coach if you were the BU? I'm always looking for "rebuttal lines."

ozzy6900 Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Hickman (Post 640957)
I was wondering... this is a routine grounder. Why do you need to signal to your partner that "you" are stayin' home? The only signalling at pre-pitch is a 1st to 3rd rotation. This whole post sounds kinda weird to me.....

Nothing wierd, Chris, just trying to get a discussion going.

I added this signaling thing to keep people on the post, not a tangent. In the past, most people would jump on the fact that you didn't let your partner know that you were staying "home". I don't signal this either but as I said, just for discussion purposes.

mbyron Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossman72 (Post 640959)
What would a good reply be to this coach if you were the BU? I'm always looking for "rebuttal lines."

Rebuttal? To "you've blown 2 so far?" Depending on the circumstances, either:

1. That's enough.
2. You're restricted to the dugout.
3. You're ejected.

The coach isn't making an argument, so doesn't deserve a rebuttal.

dash_riprock Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:34pm

1. Only two? I thought it was more.

2. Who's counting?

Matt Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:50pm

Quote:

I used the same one both times it was said to me: "You're gone."

justanotherblue Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:51pm

You could give your partner that "look" in hopes it wakes him up. Between innings, especially with a newer umpire, call him down and tell him it's time to start taking care of business, or I will. We've all had to learn the hard way, sometimes a nudge will keep a younger umpire from learning the hard way also. I clearly remember when the light came on for me, the games go much smoother when you stop it quickly.

Gaff Wed Dec 09, 2009 01:25pm

Quote:

How about "When the ball arrived the runners foot was 3/8" from the bag." When he asks if you are crazy tell him it may have been 1/2".

ODJ Wed Dec 09, 2009 01:31pm

If a vet, I'd get to the coach between innings and tell him I'll take care of biz if my partner doesn't.
One trick I've learned is to pull out the line-up card when approaching the coach. That way only he and I know the true nature of our chat.

ODJ Wed Dec 09, 2009 01:33pm

Quote:

Rebuttal lines rarely diffuse the situation. Often the opposite.

Rich Wed Dec 09, 2009 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 640989)
Rebuttal? To "you've blown 2 so far?" Depending on the circumstances, either:

1. That's enough.
2. You're restricted to the dugout.
3. You're ejected.

The coach isn't making an argument, so doesn't deserve a rebuttal.

"Coach, you won't make it to four."