The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

The Oregon School Activities Association really helps officials in the State of Oregon.

The OSAA wants officials to call RULES and not be involved in administrative rulings in sports.

They have specifically told umpires not to worry about certification stamps on baseballs. The OSAA is smart enough to know that the NFHS simply charges for the logo and uses it as a revenue stream.

The OSAA wants to be "informed" of administrative issues in sports and THEY will deal with it.

Administrative items include, but are not limited to, the following:

1) Illegal Uniforms
2) Players or coaches participating in a game where they should be sitting out because of a previous ejection,
3) Players participating in too many quaters (halves) on any given day,
4) Equipment bearing NFHS logos,
5) Pitchers throwing in too many innings in a time frame,
6) Teams demanding that they are using a 10 run mercy rule (illegal in Oregon).

Ciao
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Tim,

You have no idea how intelligent OSAA is until you move out of the state. Especially if you move south.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
I'm sure you would agree, the goal is to get them on the field and get the game played, right?
And I think we would all agree. Well almost all.

When it went in, and was emphasized so strongly at the meeting, I was amused. It seemed odd that so much emphasis was being placed on what the surface of the ball was decorated with. We can all tell a quality leather baseball from a knock-off piece of crap, and if it's even standard, we play a game with it. But not in this particular unit, which is demanding full compliance.

I always carry a bucket of near-new baseballs, because I throw a lot of batting practice throughout the year, and I like to use pearls because they're easy to see. I also usually have a case or two of new ones to rotate in when some of them get soiled. Well, I just ordered NFHS balls this time so that I can ensure that there always will be compliance and no problems or lame bullsh!t stories to put on my report.

It's not necessary to be a tight-@ssed, anal (the same thing), black & white, by-the-book fool or idiot to be in compliance with this curious rule no matter what, but instead just an umpire that quietly complies with the edicts set forth by the guy that assigns most of his high school and MSBL games.

EXAMPLE: I painted all the white and silver marks on my New Balance shoes with black nail polish to be in compliance with the same unit's all-black shoe edict. Five guys came to the playoff meeting with Reebok or New Balance base shoes with the white logos, and they were taken off the list of playoff umpires. I touch up my shoes, I crease my caps, I drive anywhere to take a game, I always accept the games I'm assigned, I never ask for anything ... and I always comply with the NFHS edict on the baseballs.

It's simple to understand ... for almost everyone.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Kevin,

What does your association make of the Official FED Interp that says:

Quote:
The umpire should play a scheduled game where no authenticated baseballs are available and then report the game to the state association.
Because it seems to me that your association's policy to NOT allow the game without "marked" baseballs is in direct contradiction to "the NFHS edict on the baseballs".

JM
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
Kevin,

What does your association make of the Official FED Interp that says:

Because it seems to me that your association's policy to NOT allow the game without "marked" baseballs is in direct contradiction to "the NFHS edict on the baseballs".

JM
JM, This was last year; this year may be different. I have rapport with one of the wheels, and I was going to bring it up to him after you mentioned this and the comments started flowing. I only know of one of the umpires that refused to play a game for this reason, but I heard that there were a few.

It's really preposterous. These kids bust their @sses all week to play these games. And many of their folks bust theirs to get off work (like we do) and get to their son's game. All so some umpire can refuse to allow the game to be played because of incorrect baseballs?!? This whole deal that we pull off is already difficult enough, and in many cases, ridiculous enough that we don't have to make it any more difficult or ridiculous with crap like this.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

~Sigh~

Quote:
"I crease my caps . . . "
I cannot think of any "style" issue I hate more than creased caps.

A crease NEVER appeared in any of my caps.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Nor did any of my dozens and dozens of caps have one. I even have a couple of uncreased black six-stitches to wear when I am doing a game where it doesn't matter.

But just about every high school and college evaluator and assignor down here wants a crease. (One of them nicks you if your shirt's too baggy, or if you don't wear your belt buckle lined up with the gig line.)

But when that changes, so will my caps. And the creased ones will be in the garage along with all my other treasured souvenirs. ("Check this cap out, son; it's from back in the day when they made all us umpires crease our caps.")
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Kevin is going to do what he has to do based on the requirements of his association. We all know that appearance is important, but the bottom line is the product we deliver to our customers. We all know that the coaches really don't care what an umpire looks like (within reason) as long as they are competent and hustle. The appearance thing is totally on us. I have shown up to see friends work games, and their partners flaked and they were working solo, the coaches saw me and asked me to help out, in street clothes.

Two umpires of equal ability, one looks good, the other looks bad, I pick the guy who is suited up properly. So do the rest of us.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.

Last edited by RPatrino; Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 11:48am. Reason: Punctuation
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

When I was touting a partner and me to a local NCAA coach to umpire his fall ball games, part of my description of us was, " ... and, of course, we always dress the part."

It's vital to follow the appearance code. And it's pretty simple. As it is, we get to wear ballcaps, golf shirts and athletic shoes for crying out loud! It wasn't long ago that umpires were saddled with wearing a coat and tie with patent leather shoes.

The only truly good coach I ever had said it the way that made the most sense: "Don't do what's required; do your best." (I took that to mean do more than what's required.)
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 02:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
I cannot think of any "style" issue I hate more than creased caps.

A crease NEVER appeared in any of my caps.
All pro umpires crease their caps, every good umpire I've worked with has creased their caps, I have always creased my caps, even all my regular baseball-style caps for off field use. I was told many years ago that you look like you are going fox hunting if you wear your hat like Elmer Fudd, without a crease in the crown. Even Ed Montague creases his beanie.

I cannot think of many "style" issues I hate more than uncreased hats.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegosteve View Post
all pro umpires crease their caps, every good umpire i've worked with has creased their caps, i have always creased my caps, even all my regular baseball-style caps for off field use. I was told many years ago that you look like you are going fox hunting if you wear your hat like elmer fudd, without a crease in the crown. Even ed montague creases his beanie.

I cannot think of many "style" issues i hate more than uncreased hats.
... :d
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
JM, This was last year; this year may be different.
i believe the comment JM references was in last year's book as well.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Next year, [follow closely] they [the leadership of the unit] may choose to enforce it differently than they did this year.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 07:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Next year, [follow closely] they [the leadership of the unit] may choose to enforce it differently than they did this year.
It's really a shame that you have to explain the meaning of what you say to certain people who choose to pick apart what you write.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Thanks to all who chose to respond.

My post here was prompted by a discussion on another thread with a gentleman who was certain that it was grounds for forfeit to not have properly marked balls available.

I had never heard that before and disagreed.

I was curious how it was handled in different parts of the country. Between the two threads, 20 different posters took a position (including me).

4 said you can't play without them. Only one that it was grounds for a forfeit. The other 3 said they'd have/find a way to get marked balls.

Everybody else said "play", with some suggesting "file a report". 2 of the "don't play" umpires are from the LA area, &, I suspect, may belong to the same association. Another from NC & one from MN.

The FED Interpretation I posted above I found in the BRD. The BRD references the NFHS News, 3/99 #20. Apparently, this was in anticipation of the "Mark" requirement entering the rule book in 2000.

Sounds to me like the "official" FED position is, play the game, report it. Makes perfect sense to me.

JM