The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

What is so hard? The home team showed up with legal uniforms, legal bats, legal lines on the field. Why not baseballs?
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 09:21pm

I just had an adult game Saturday where one team had really nice N.A.B.A. stamped Diamond D1 baseballs and the other team had Pro Nine N.F.H.S. baseballs. The Pro Nine balls are totally inferior and have a "fake" ball feel to them and are slightly mushy or springy feeling. The team with the N.A.B.A. balls' pitchers consistently rejected the Pro Nines.

Moral of story: Having a FED stamp is not all it's cracked up to be.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 09:41pm
Stop staring at me swan.

IMO it's no different than a field w/o marked foul lines past the 1B & 3B...we'll still play, but teams don't get to argue fair/foul. When I show up at the game and we have a field, 18 players, all other equip legal...we're playing...that stuff is an administrative issue. We have enough stuff to worry about.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
So that I don't put words in your mouth (I hate when others do that) tell me, if you had no baseballs, and the balls the teams had were equal to, or better (not difficult) than the FED approved balls, but did not have the FED mark on them, would you refuse to work the game, thus sending the visiting team back on their bus and home?
You really have a way about you.

How many ways can I say that I would have them play the game regardless? I will stay within the regulations AND make sure the game is played even at my own expense, if necessary.

Are you really this obtuse, or is it just some act that goes with your online persona?

And, based on some of the stuff you write, you shouldn't be the judge of what is the intelligent thing to do.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
You really have a way about you.

How many ways can I say that I would have them play the game regardless? I will stay within the regulations AND make sure the game is played even at my own expense, if necessary.

Are you really this obtuse, or is it just some act that goes with your online persona?

And, based on some of the stuff you write, you shouldn't be the judge of what is the intelligent thing to do.
I find it strange that you need to insult when none was aimed at you.

Not obtuse, just looking for a straightforward answer to my question, which you still have not supplied.

I'll repeat it again without any personal comment aimed at you:

...if you had no baseballs, and the balls the teams had were equal to, or better (not difficult) than the FED approved balls, but did not have the FED mark on them, would you refuse to work the game, thus sending the visiting team back on their bus and home?

A simple yes or no will suffice.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I just had an adult game Saturday where one team had really nice N.A.B.A. stamped Diamond D1 baseballs and the other team had Pro Nine N.F.H.S. baseballs. The Pro Nine balls are totally inferior and have a "fake" ball feel to them and are slightly mushy or springy feeling. The team with the N.A.B.A. balls' pitchers consistently rejected the Pro Nines.

Moral of story: Having a FED stamp is not all it's cracked up to be.
I don't disagree about quality of baseballs. I never seen a bad Diamond D1 and did not know Pro Nine made baseballs. But...

If the coaches know they need NFHS baseballs (and they do), and they don't have them you play anyway? What if they only had -5 bats, no lines on the field, uniforms that don't match? When do we hold a HS coach accountable vs. cut some slack?

And like I have said, they know, so they bring the right baseballs in games I have worked...
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Everyone in my area plays either with Diamond or Wilson baseballs. I coached high school for two years and we played with Diamonds. I have never once checked to see if the balls that were being used when I umpire had the NFHS stamp of approval. If they looked suspect to me I would question them, but that has never happened. If it looks and feels like a good ball, I will use it. I sure as heck wouldn't bring my own, although if someone else wants to that's their business. If that makes me a poor umpire, oh well.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I find it strange that you need to insult when none was aimed at you.

Not obtuse, just looking for a straightforward answer to my question, which you still have not supplied.

I'll repeat it again without any personal comment aimed at you:

...if you had no baseballs, and the balls the teams had were equal to, or better (not difficult) than the FED approved balls, but did not have the FED mark on them, would you refuse to work the game, thus sending the visiting team back on their bus and home?

A simple yes or no will suffice.
So it is an act.

Less than you deserve will suffice.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
So it is an act.

Less than you deserve will suffice.
Well, at least you admit that no answer is less than I deserve.

I will not speculate as to why you refuse to answer a simple question. I'm sure you have some reason.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMike View Post
Everyone in my area plays either with Diamond or Wilson baseballs. I coached high school for two years and we played with Diamonds. I have never once checked to see if the balls that were being used when I umpire had the NFHS stamp of approval. If they looked suspect to me I would question them, but that has never happened. If it looks and feels like a good ball, I will use it. I sure as heck wouldn't bring my own, although if someone else wants to that's their business. If that makes me a poor umpire, oh well.
It doesn't make you a poor umpire. Even Elliot Hopkins has advised that in a case such as this, play the game and notify the assignor and AD.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
What is so hard? The home team showed up with legal uniforms, legal bats, legal lines on the field. Why not baseballs?
Legal bats and legal balls are not equal requirments. Legal lines? Have you never called a game on field that was not lined? Really? Batter's boxes in every game?

Last edited by Ump153; Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 10:34pm.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Legal bats and legal balls are not equal requirments. Legal lines? Have you never called a game on field that was not lined? Really? Batter's boxes in every game?
You must umpire where rules are not followed. In my area, HS game fields are lined, and balls are legal.

Last edited by DG; Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 10:44pm.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 10:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
You must umpire where rules are not followed. In my area, HS game fields are lined, and balls are legal.
The adult baseball leagues here use local HS and college fields, and 95% of them feature no foul lines in the infield and 90% have no lines on the outfield grass (some are painted on fortunately). If it's not HS season, you get the fields as-is.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
The adult baseball leagues here use local HS and college fields, and 95% of them feature no foul lines in the infield and 90% have no lines on the outfield grass (some are painted on fortunately). If it's not HS season, you get the fields as-is.
For a legit HS game under FED rules the coaches know the rules about baseballs and lines on the field. I thought that was the jist of the original post. For adult/summer/youth ball, any reasonable ball supplied is good to go, and lines on the field are nice, but not mandatory. Most supply foul lines, but batter and coach boxes are optional.

For HS games, legal balls, and lines on the field, including batter and coaches boxes are required.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
DG, where do you work your games? In my part of the world, particuarly for non-varsity games, we take what we can get. I personally don't quibble about balls, bats, or lines. Some schools use City facilities and with budgets all messed up out here, field maintenance is sometimes non-existant.

I'm sure you would agree, the goal is to get them on the field and get the game played, right?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Closed Thread