The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Running lane violation?

I'm wondering if anybody had any opinions about the controversial play that occurred in game #3 of the Rockies/Phillies NLDS series.

Here's the play:
Umps admit missed call on Utley hit | MLB.com: News

Of course, the controversy seemed to be whether the batted ball hit the batter while in the box (which it clearly did) -and- whether F3 had pulled his foot on the throw (not quite so clear).

But I was surprised there was no lane violation discussion. I know at the MLB level they are not very quick to call this, especially on margin throws.

What if this were a NFHS game. Would you have called it then? Do you think the ball needed to hit the runner to be a violation? In your opinion, was the throw off the mark because the runner was out of the lane? Or, was the runner out of the lane?

Just interested in some opinions on that play.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 10:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Emerling View Post
I'm wondering if anybody had any opinions about the controversial play that occurred in game #3 of the Rockies/Phillies NLDS series.

Here's the play:
Umps admit missed call on Utley hit | MLB.com: News

Of course, the controversy seemed to be whether the batted ball hit the batter while in the box (which it clearly did) -and- whether F3 had pulled his foot on the throw (not quite so clear).

But I was surprised there was no lane violation discussion. I know at the MLB level they are not very quick to call this, especially on margin throws.

What if this were a NFHS game. Would you have called it then? Do you think the ball needed to hit the runner to be a violation? In your opinion, was the throw off the mark because the runner was out of the lane? Or, was the runner out of the lane?

Just interested in some opinions on that play.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Nope. The throw was not put there, IMO, because of the location of the runner.

I think it's unfortunate, but understood why the ball hitting Utley was missed. I also think Kulpa made a great call at first. Stop action, the foot was clearly off the bag and it was a result of moving for the throw, so why give anything there?
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Nope. The throw was not put there, IMO, because of the location of the runner.
That can never be known with certainty - but I think the location of the runner very likely did have an effect on the throw. Even the announcers thought so - not that the announcers know everything.

Let me ask you this then: If you did think the runner affected the throw, would you have called a lane violation - keeping in mind the ball never struck the runner?

Quote:
I think it's unfortunate, but understood why the ball hitting Utley was missed. I also think Kulpa made a great call at first. Stop action, the foot was clearly off the bag and it was a result of moving for the throw, so why give anything there?
I agree - I think it is completely understandable that this was missed by the umpires. If you're not 100% sure, you have to assume that it did not hit the batter. In cases of uncertainty, that has to be the default call.

I've made several calls like that over the years where, in the back of my mind, I fully understood that I could have been wrong. But I simply didn't see it and my partner didn't either. And that's usually what I have to tell the coach when he comes out to complain. I don't tell him that it didn't hit the batter, I simply say I didn't see the ball hit the batter.

What else can you do?

David Emerling
Memphis, TN

Last edited by David Emerling; Mon Oct 12, 2009 at 11:59am.
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

My memory is the book says the lane violation has to do with opportunity to "catch" or receive the throw. Not throw it.
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Did you see a running lane violation on this play?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
By MLB standards, I would have to say NO.

By NFHS standards, I would say YES. However, I'm going to have to recheck the most recent NFHS interpretations as they have waivered over the years on this issue.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

The action of the batter easily disguised the ball touching his leg. It happens.

No running lane violation. The runner did not, IMO, affect F3's ability to receive the throw.

R3 definitely off the bag. Good "safe" call.
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
No running lane violation. The runner did not, IMO, affect F3's ability to receive the throw.
There's two parts to successfully receiving a throw as a first baseman:
1) actually catching the ball, and
2) doing so in a manner to be able to keep your foot on the bag.

I think an argument could be made that the reason F3 wasn't able to keep his foot on the bag was because of the throw. And - the reason the throw was of poor quality was because of F1's attempt to get the ball around the runner who was in-the-way and out-of-the-lane.

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate. Like I said, I fully realize that this is a very rare call at the MLB level and that it usually requires something egregious.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Emerling View Post
There's two parts to successfully receiving a throw as a first baseman:
1) actually catching the ball, and
2) doing so in a manner to be able to keep your foot on the bag.

I think an argument could be made that the reason F3 wasn't able to keep his foot on the bag was because of the throw. And - the reason the throw was of poor quality was because of F1's attempt to get the ball around the runner who was in-the-way and out-of-the-lane.

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate. Like I said, I fully realize that this is a very rare call at the MLB level and that it usually requires something egregious.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
The quality of the throw is not protected. The rule was devised when the foul line split the bag. It is intended still to protect F3's catch of the ball.

If the throw had been on line, then the B/R would have interfered with the catch. Not the case here.
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
No, I don't. As he entered the 45' line, it looks like he has one foot outside the line before the throw. After that he is within the line on every step, so no, no lane violation. On the line is within the lane. Street tried to go outside with his throw, but had very little time to gain any kind of an angle for the throw, throwing over the runner. Even if he had hit him in the back, at the time of the throw/impact, it looks like he would have been within the lane.

Last edited by justanotherblue; Mon Oct 12, 2009 at 01:12pm. Reason: video review
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

OBR 6.05(k): A batter is out when . . . he runs outside [the running lane] and . . . interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base.

NFHS 8-4-1-g: The batter-runner is out when he runs outside the three-foot running lane . . ., while the ball is being fielded or thrown to first base; or 1. This infraction is ignored . . . if the act does not interfere with a fielder or a throw.

BRD 273 says that the runner may not interfere by crashing the fielder at first. It also says that all codes hold that the batterrunner is not inside the lane if either foot is outside the lane.

So here, let's say the umpire adjudges that it was a quality throw because it could be caught within reach of the bag, and that the fielder pulled his foot in order to avoid a collision with the rogue batter-runner. Must the fielder take the hit? Does the neighborhood play concept apply?
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
OBR 6.05(k): A batter is out when . . . he runs outside [the running lane] and . . . interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base.

NFHS 8-4-1-g: The batter-runner is out when he runs outside the three-foot running lane . . ., while the ball is being fielded or thrown to first base; or 1. This infraction is ignored . . . if the act does not interfere with a fielder or a throw.

BRD 273 says that the runner may not interfere by crashing the fielder at first. It also says that all codes hold that the batterrunner is not inside the lane if either foot is outside the lane.

So here, let's say the umpire adjudges that it was a quality throw because it could be caught within reach of the bag, and that the fielder pulled his foot in order to avoid a collision with the rogue batter-runner. Must the fielder take the hit? Does the neighborhood play concept apply?
I don't believe the "neighborhood play" has ever applied to first base, at lease not by professional umpires and trained amateur umpires.

If the runner doesn't interfere, how could you call interference? I don't know of an "anticipated interference rule" or any interp that follows a "runner would of if the fielder wouldn't of."
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Running lane violation????

If the 1st baseman had been on the foul side of first, the throw probably should have been easier for the ump to call?
If the pitcher had hit the runner in the back, the call should have been "OUT" for a running lane violation. As it happened, the batter/runner was not hit and the pitcher had to throw over top of the runner. Result: safe!
As far as the batter being hit in the knee with the ball, just one of those things NO ONE saw!
The best team won that night & that series.

Thoes who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it!
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Upon further review, I'd have to agree the batter-runner got back into the running lane by the time he and the throw got to first (and PU was checking it out) and that the throw caused the fielder, who was set up for a foul-side throw, to pull his foot. Good call, blue, and exciting baseball.
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 02:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP 64 View Post
The best team won that night & that series.
The series isn't over yet.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25