View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Nope. The throw was not put there, IMO, because of the location of the runner.
That can never be known with certainty - but I think the location of the runner very likely did have an effect on the throw. Even the announcers thought so - not that the announcers know everything.

Let me ask you this then: If you did think the runner affected the throw, would you have called a lane violation - keeping in mind the ball never struck the runner?

Quote:
I think it's unfortunate, but understood why the ball hitting Utley was missed. I also think Kulpa made a great call at first. Stop action, the foot was clearly off the bag and it was a result of moving for the throw, so why give anything there?
I agree - I think it is completely understandable that this was missed by the umpires. If you're not 100% sure, you have to assume that it did not hit the batter. In cases of uncertainty, that has to be the default call.

I've made several calls like that over the years where, in the back of my mind, I fully understood that I could have been wrong. But I simply didn't see it and my partner didn't either. And that's usually what I have to tell the coach when he comes out to complain. I don't tell him that it didn't hit the batter, I simply say I didn't see the ball hit the batter.

What else can you do?

David Emerling
Memphis, TN

Last edited by David Emerling; Mon Oct 12, 2009 at 11:59am.