The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 02:30pm

Stop making excuses. He blew an easy call. Quit defending MLB umpires at all costs. Everyone blows a call now and then.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Stop making excuses. He blew an easy call. Quit defending MLB umpires at all costs.
Huh?

No argument about the call. Did you see an argument? Perhaps you have me confused with someone else. I have never disputed that this call was blown.

In my post, I was questioning the "easiest call in all of umpiring" claim. If you have a problem with that, feel free to discuss. But there is no sense in arguing something that isn't being debated.

Chill.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 02:44pm

It was a pretty damn easy call, and he wasn't "out of position." He had the best position and angle in the entire building and still managed to miss it. But it's all good, because we all miss calls. I don't need to chill, I'm just tired of excuses about the gross miss. When I badly kick a call, I say, "Damn, I sure blew that one," beat myself up for a while, then move on.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It was a pretty damn easy call, and he wasn't "out of position." He had the best position and angle in the entire building and still managed to miss it. But it's all good, because we all miss calls. I don't need to chill, I'm just tired of excuses about the gross miss. When I badly kick a call, I say, "Damn, I sure blew that one," beat myself up for a while, then move on.
You read too much into my post. When I make an excuse for an umpire blowing a call I'll get back to you.

But, I can think of several calls easier to make that a fair/foul call near the line. Again, that was what my post was about.

So if my comment of "chill" was inappropriate, let's change it to: don't assume.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 02:51pm

Name a few easier calls, then.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Name a few easier calls, then.
Same play, if you are U3 looking from behind the bag all the way down the line.

The eyes do fail us when we have to move them sharply one way, then another. They will, at times, give bad information to the brain. This is why we line up our tagup plays, come to a set on force plays, and improve angle before distance. And on the play in the OP, Cuzzi had to move his eyes awfully quick to track where that ball hit.

It's not an excuse, its an explanation on to why he called what he did. It happens. Blame the receptors in the optic nerve and the occipital lobe.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Where to start...

Here's three to begin with:

1. Full swinging strike
2. Can of corn to F4
3. Wild pitch that goes to the backstop
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 07:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Here's three to begin with:

1. Full swinging strike
2. Can of corn to F4
3. Wild pitch that goes to the backstop
Oh, you're so droll!
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
#3 is not a call, try again. LOL

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
#3 is not a call, try again. LOL
You wouldn't call it a ball? You'd make no call on a pitch? I guess that would be funny. LOL

Last edited by MrUmpire; Wed Oct 14, 2009 at 10:39pm.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh, you're so droll!
Nothing whimsical here. A poster named fair/foul as THE easiest call in baseball. I disagreed. You asked for examples. I gave you three.

Last edited by MrUmpire; Wed Oct 14, 2009 at 10:40pm.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 10:48pm

The easiest call that requires effort and/or judgment to make, then.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The easiest call that requires effort and/or judgment to make, then.
So a full swing doesn't require anyone to judge if it was a swing or not? What if the PU blinks? What if he is blocked by the catcher? It is very possible to miss a full swing. It happened to Eric Gregg in a NL game.

Quote:
Quit defending MLB umpires at all costs.
I really haven't seen anyone doing that here. Although several people here seem to be looking to bash MLB umpires whenever they get the chance.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

SDS

Not arguing that the call was kicked big-time or whatever phrase anyone would like to use.

Did the ball tick the glove in this case? Have you read anything about that? If so, he probably couldn't hear that with all the noise, even though that would have made it fair also. If he thought the ball was going to be caught, and then would have to point fair, and then follow the player's momentum into the wall before making the catch sign, and then the ball wasn't caught and the empty glove blocked his view of where the ball hit the ground until after the bounce, who knows, especially when you get the tunnel vision of being too close to the play and it all kind happens in the blink of an eye.

If you are too far from this play (although in this instance maybe it could have helped) and the ball just ticks the glove while barely fair but does not show a change of direction, and some how would have been just foul, then everyone would say he wasn't close enough to the play. There just may have been more involved in the whole process, including trying to stay out of the way of the fielder, (what a disaster if one were to run into the fielder on that play) and fighting that natural instinct to go out as far as you can to get a good look at the play when working during the regular season.

Last edited by tballump; Thu Oct 15, 2009 at 03:10am.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Nothing whimsical here. A poster named fair/foul as THE easiest call in baseball. I disagreed. You asked for examples. I gave you three.
A high fly ball dropping fair or foul with zero chance of a player or players screening him is the easiest call in umpiring. Not any fair/foul, that fair/foul.

And I re-stated it because the chronically disagreeable LDUB once again stated that my personal opinion is wrong, but made no claim of an easier call in so doing.

Some of these examples of easier "calls" are pretty curious. That call he blew is the easiest call in umpiring. Just because some of you can imagine that there is something easier, doesn't change my opinion.

I have enjoyed watching you try to come up with an easier call. That's dedication to a cause. Very admirable.
Closed Thread