The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Question Batted Ball Hits Runner on Base

Help.....talking with a couple of fellow umpires tonight discussing some seldom used rules. I commented on the fact that if a runner standing on a base in fair territory and if he is hit by a batted ball (before it passes a fielder) that runner is out. They both disagreed with me and one said that is an OBR rule but not a Fed rule. Am I wrong???

They both have a lot more experience than me. I thought this was a rule in all aspects of baseball/softball.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 09:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheisner View Post
Help.....talking with a couple of fellow umpires tonight discussing some seldom used rules. I commented on the fact that if a runner standing on a base in fair territory and if he is hit by a batted ball (before it passes a fielder) that runner is out. They both disagreed with me and one said that is an OBR rule but not a Fed rule. Am I wrong???

They both have a lot more experience than me. I thought this was a rule in all aspects of baseball/softball.
You are correct. The "experienced" umpires are wrong.

Rule 8-4-2-k EXCEPTION only protects a runner touching his base when he is hit by an infield fly.

Otherwise, he is out if he is contacted by a fair batted ball before it touches an infielder, or after it passes any fielder, except the pitcher , and the umpire is convinced that another fielder has a play.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 09:36pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Runner is out. SDS is correct, unfortunately the umpires are wrong. This is the same in all rule sets.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

No, you are not wrong. What we may have here is the fallacy of "experience." These guys sound like umpires with one year's experience, ten times, rather than ten years of experience.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

thanks....When I'm the "Rookie" on the field it is sometimes hard when my experienced partner hasn't studied the rule book(s) as hard as I have. I totally find umpiring to be fascinating & I really strive to get every call right.

In a situation like these rare calls, if my partner has made a ruling I know is incorrect...do I QUIETLY correct him on the field and make the play right or do I talk with him/her after the game? It hasn't happened yet. What is the protocol if a situation like this comes up?

As a coach I always had the rule book(s) with me in my "score book/stats case".....as an umpire I WILL NOT carry it with me to the field. I've been told it is up to the disgruntled coach to show me in the book that I am wrong.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've been told it is up to the disgruntled coach to show me in the book that I am wrong.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Don't do that - it's a ticket to the parking lot. Just tell him you're protesting based on the rule.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Rich, I am now the umpire (rookie).......I used to be the coach
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 11:25pm

Quote:
Rich, I am now the umpire (rookie).......I used to be the coach
Don't allow a coach to bring a rule book out onto the field. Warn him not to continue towards you with the book. If he doesn't turn around and go put the book away, and continues toward you, run him.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Those "experienced" umpires must have got their experience doing softball. That is the only sport where the runner is safe if he/she is on the base when hit by the ball.
Old Thu Sep 03, 2009, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In a situation like these rare calls, if my partner has made a ruling I know is incorrect...do I QUIETLY correct him on the field and make the play right or do I talk with him/her after the game? It hasn't happened yet. What is the protocol if a situation like this comes up?

Go to the other umpire -- away from the players / coaches.

1) "Are you sure? Because I thought the rule was xxxx"

-or-

2) "I'm 100% sure that the rule is xxxx and I'll take the heat if I'm wrong."

Especially if the other umpire called it, leave it up to him to make the change. If you made the call and he "overrode" it, then it's more political.

Either way, look it up together after the game -- at least one of you will learn something,