The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 21, 2007, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Batted Ball Hits Runner On Third Base?

THE FIRST TIME I HAVE EVER HAD THIS HAPPEN. RUNNER ON THIRD BATTER HITS A GROUND BALL THAT BOUNCES UP AND HITS THE RUNNER? IS THE RUNNER OUT OR IS IT A LIVE BALL?
Old Sat Apr 21, 2007, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

The only time the runner is protected from a batted ball is on an infield fly. The runner should have been ruled out.
Old Sat Apr 21, 2007, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingswinger
The only time the runner is protected from a batted ball is on an infield fly. The runner should have been ruled out.
Not so fast. (And not so true.)

Where, geographically, did the ball make contact with the runner? Was the runner standing with both feet on third, entirely in fair ball territory when the ball struck him, or was he standing with one foot on the bag and the other in foul territory? And, if the latter, was the ball over fair or foul territory when it hit him?
Old Sat Apr 21, 2007, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

oh good point. Very wise.
Old Sat Apr 21, 2007, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyd8266
THE FIRST TIME I HAVE EVER HAD THIS HAPPEN. RUNNER ON THIRD BATTER HITS A GROUND BALL THAT BOUNCES UP AND HITS THE RUNNER? IS THE RUNNER OUT OR IS IT A LIVE BALL?

Caps Lock is cruise control for awesome....
Old Sun Apr 22, 2007, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Not so fast. (And not so true.)

Where, geographically, did the ball make contact with the runner? Was the runner standing with both feet on third, entirely in fair ball territory when the ball struck him, or was he standing with one foot on the bag and the other in foul territory? And, if the latter, was the ball over fair or foul territory when it hit him?
I'd like to add - where was F5? If he was playing in front of the bag you got nothing.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2007, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
I'd like to add - where was F5? If he was playing in front of the bag you got nothing.
Also not necessarily true, depending on whether F5 was also in front of the runner and whether the ball passed through or immediately by F5 and the rules code being used.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 03:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Also not necessarily true, depending on whether F5 was also in front of the runner and whether the ball passed through or immediately by F5 and the rules code being used.
Also depends on where F6 was, and the rules code. But if F6 was playing some kind of funny shift...its possible that he could have had a play on the ball...doubtful, but not out of the question.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Bob - let me start by saying that I go very little sleep last night but I'm having a hard time differentiating between this and what I said. Could you clarify please?
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Bob - let me start by saying that I go very little sleep last night but I'm having a hard time differentiating between this and what I said. Could you clarify please?
Walt - in some codes, what you said is simply false. In others, the runner is protected if F5 is in AND the ball passed through or right by him, but not protected if F5 was nowhere near the ball.