Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Video: Is this a MLB HR ?

Recap SF 1, CIN 2 F/10
Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | 08.20.09: Reds prevail in the 10th - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
At 1 min into the video an apparent HR is awarded.

Was a HR ruling correct?
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
Recap SF 1, CIN 2 F/10
Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | 08.20.09: Reds prevail in the 10th - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
At 1 min into the video an apparent HR is awarded.

Was a HR ruling correct?
Batted ball hits top of fence, bounces up and hits black "wall" beyond fence and bounces back into field of play.

What would you have called it?
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Apparently it went over the fence, hit something and bounced back. The Centerfielder knew it was a HR.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

OK SA, go to the store on umpire.org. Buy the MLBUM. Open it to page 88. Read section 8.10
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
Was a HR ruling correct?
Yes.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 03:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
OK SA, go to the store on umpire.org. Buy the MLBUM. Open it to page 88. Read section 8.10
Um, some people cannot afford to buy every single publication on the subject of umpiring. Every interp and rule should be placed in ONE SINGLE VOLUME so that one book was all it took to umpire games. I would have to take out a bank loan to afford all the different interp manuals out there. That, or Evans could charge about half of what he charges for his book so more people could afford it. Not everyone who umpires is financially independent or rich.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 05:17pm
In Time Out

Most people I know have jobs and support their families. Some are actually finacially able from time to time to purchase materials that give them a leg up as to knowing the rules and their interps better. Thus, they find a way such as using a game fee or two to purchase these materials.

I don't think anyone is making a killing working baseball as an umpire. They simply have a thrist for knowledge and want to be the best they can be.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 05:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Most people I know have jobs and support their families. Some are actually finacially able from time to time to purchase materials that give them a leg up as to knowing the rules and their interps better. Thus, they find a way such as using a game fee or two to purchase these materials.

I don't think anyone is making a killing working baseball as an umpire. They simply have a thrist for knowledge and want to be the best they can be.
But many people, while supporting their families, cannot afford every single publication that is available. So answering a question about an interp by saying "buy the book" is unacceptable.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post

Hmmm, I always pictured "most people he knows" to be full time Battlestar Gallactica collectors.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Um, some people cannot afford to buy every single publication on the subject of umpiring. Every interp and rule should be placed in ONE SINGLE VOLUME so that one book was all it took to umpire games. I would have to take out a bank loan to afford all the different interp manuals out there. That, or Evans could charge about half of what he charges for his book so more people could afford it. Not everyone who umpires is financially independent or rich.
Given the number of rule sets and variants you'd probably need to buy a crane to lift the book.

The BRD's probably the closest to what you ask. It's $30. Buy one every couple of years. $15/year doesn't require financial independence or riches.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
But many people, while supporting their families, cannot afford every single publication that is available. So answering a question about an interp by saying "buy the book" is unacceptable.
Okay, how about this: Forget the MLBUM. The answer is in the rulebook. Buy the book.

I'm assuming it is acceptable to expect umpires to afford a rulebook.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

It is free online
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 08:31pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Given the number of rule sets and variants you'd probably need to buy a crane to lift the book.

The BRD's probably the closest to what you ask. It's $30. Buy one every couple of years. $15/year doesn't require financial independence or riches.
Some people are just cheap to begin with. They can afford cable television and Internet service, but don't ask them to purchase a manuel for interps. I guess it just depends where your priorties end and begin.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Jerry or Charlie?
Old Sun Aug 23, 2009, 12:10am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
Jerry or Charlie?
Man I'm slow. It took me two viewings to get the joke. Good catch.
Closed Thread