The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Video: Is this a MLB HR ? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/54385-video-mlb-hr.html)

SAump Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:15pm

Video: Is this a MLB HR ?

Recap SF 1, CIN 2 F/10
Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | 08.20.09: Reds prevail in the 10th - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
At 1 min into the video an apparent HR is awarded.

Was a HR ruling correct?

MrUmpire Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump (Post 621658)
Recap SF 1, CIN 2 F/10
Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | 08.20.09: Reds prevail in the 10th - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
At 1 min into the video an apparent HR is awarded.

Was a HR ruling correct?

Batted ball hits top of fence, bounces up and hits black "wall" beyond fence and bounces back into field of play.

What would you have called it?

JR12 Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:25pm

Apparently it went over the fence, hit something and bounced back. The Centerfielder knew it was a HR.

Rich Ives Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:14pm

OK SA, go to the store on umpire.org. Buy the MLBUM. Open it to page 88. Read section 8.10

briancurtin Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump (Post 621658)
Was a HR ruling correct?

Yes.

SanDiegoSteve Sat Aug 22, 2009 03:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 621674)
OK SA, go to the store on umpire.org. Buy the MLBUM. Open it to page 88. Read section 8.10

Um, some people cannot afford to buy every single publication on the subject of umpiring. Every interp and rule should be placed in ONE SINGLE VOLUME so that one book was all it took to umpire games. I would have to take out a bank loan to afford all the different interp manuals out there. That, or Evans could charge about half of what he charges for his book so more people could afford it. Not everyone who umpires is financially independent or rich.

Steven Tyler Sat Aug 22, 2009 05:17pm

Most people I know have jobs and support their families. Some are actually finacially able from time to time to purchase materials that give them a leg up as to knowing the rules and their interps better. Thus, they find a way such as using a game fee or two to purchase these materials.

I don't think anyone is making a killing working baseball as an umpire. They simply have a thrist for knowledge and want to be the best they can be.

SanDiegoSteve Sat Aug 22, 2009 05:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler (Post 621781)
Most people I know have jobs and support their families. Some are actually finacially able from time to time to purchase materials that give them a leg up as to knowing the rules and their interps better. Thus, they find a way such as using a game fee or two to purchase these materials.

I don't think anyone is making a killing working baseball as an umpire. They simply have a thrist for knowledge and want to be the best they can be.

But many people, while supporting their families, cannot afford every single publication that is available. So answering a question about an interp by saying "buy the book" is unacceptable.

jwwashburn Sat Aug 22, 2009 05:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler (Post 621781)

Hmmm, I always pictured "most people he knows" to be full time Battlestar Gallactica collectors.

Rich Ives Sat Aug 22, 2009 07:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 621775)
Um, some people cannot afford to buy every single publication on the subject of umpiring. Every interp and rule should be placed in ONE SINGLE VOLUME so that one book was all it took to umpire games. I would have to take out a bank loan to afford all the different interp manuals out there. That, or Evans could charge about half of what he charges for his book so more people could afford it. Not everyone who umpires is financially independent or rich.

Given the number of rule sets and variants you'd probably need to buy a crane to lift the book. :)

The BRD's probably the closest to what you ask. It's $30. Buy one every couple of years. $15/year doesn't require financial independence or riches.

Ump153 Sat Aug 22, 2009 08:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 621782)
But many people, while supporting their families, cannot afford every single publication that is available. So answering a question about an interp by saying "buy the book" is unacceptable.

Okay, how about this: Forget the MLBUM. The answer is in the rulebook. Buy the book.

I'm assuming it is acceptable to expect umpires to afford a rulebook.

jwwashburn Sat Aug 22, 2009 08:10pm

It is free online

Steven Tyler Sat Aug 22, 2009 08:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 621790)
Given the number of rule sets and variants you'd probably need to buy a crane to lift the book. :)

The BRD's probably the closest to what you ask. It's $30. Buy one every couple of years. $15/year doesn't require financial independence or riches.

Some people are just cheap to begin with. They can afford cable television and Internet service, but don't ask them to purchase a manuel for interps. I guess it just depends where your priorties end and begin.

jwwashburn Sat Aug 22, 2009 08:33pm

Jerry or Charlie?

SanDiegoSteve Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 621797)
Jerry or Charlie?

Man I'm slow. It took me two viewings to get the joke. Good catch.:)