The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
Placing a protective unit, also known as a cup, in the sleeve of a compression short or jock strap in a place in which its purpose would be to minimize any harm done, in my case, to anatomical parts that are unique to males. I'm not talking about the missing rib.

Was this slightly less vague?
Yes.

Perhaps it's a generational thing. I've always put a cup on. I've never "thrown one in"...at least not a cup.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

I wear a cup any time I'm on the baseball field
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 08:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
I don't, although I guess when I get to the level where such things matter
At what level does wanting to protect your "boys" at all costs come into play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
On the bases I don't wear long McDavid's, so I enjoy feeling the breeze to the fullest extent.

If you must know...
And that's juuuuuuuust a bit too much information!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

No cup on bases. I was middle infielder when I played and I can move away from them now almost as easily as I could move in front of them then. Never been hit (knock, knock, knock). When I get hit on bases I will hang it up.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Not sure, I'll let you know if I get to it!
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
The octogon
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

I was watching Beltre taking grounders when he first came up with the Dodgers in 1998. He made two absolutely unconscious stabs, including a bad hop right at his jewels. One of his coaches commented on his quick hands: "Where'd you get such quick hands?" His reply was, "I never wore a cup, so I learned real quick." (The conversation was in Spanish, but it was translated by the coach.)

It took a dozen years to catch up to him.

I wear a cup at all times, like Brian said. I too was an infelder--third base and short--and I still move better than most guys my age due to that. But I am also a bright person without a colossal ego that makes me think I can get the center of my body out of the way of any thrown or batted ball like some people insist they can. So it's a no-brainer. I suppose you can get away without one doing youth ball, but at any level of true hardball, it can be a sign of both stupidity and misplaced pride to go without a cup on the bases.

My lone personal experience: My son was pitching in a tournament in Arizona a couple of years back. He walked a guy and then tried to pick him off. His uncaught bullet throw clipped the corner of the bag and deflected directly into the U1's jewels (three-man). The umpire was laid out on the ground, screaming and kicking his legs and rolling in the dirt. He was eventually carted to an ambulance on a groundskeeper's cart and taken to a hospital. After that experience, I no longer felt like a wuss for wearing my cup on the bases. I spend more on Gold Bond each year, but it's well worth it.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Fri Aug 21, 2009 at 01:58pm.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

No.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 10:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
No cup on bases. I was middle infielder when I played and I can move away from them now almost as easily as I could move in front of them then. Never been hit (knock, knock, knock). When I get hit on bases I will hang it up.
Do you think that only the slow and feeble get hit? Weird things happen.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

I thought of another: I didn't see it happen, but I got the story from many brothers, and the guy himself: The single most athletic and youthful and skillful umpire in our local JUCO and H.S. associations got drilled in the thigh by a ball that glanced off the pitcher's foot. He had a bruise the size of a football. A few inches up and he loses or bruises a jewel. He's an ex-D-I and professional player and was extremely proud of his mobility and skills---until he got drilled by a ricochet. He also never wore a cup on the bases---until he got drilled by a ricochet.

I just can't imagine a single benefit to going without one on the bases. A barely discernible degree of added comfort is worth risking one of the most painful injuries one can suffer on a diamond?? ... I simply don't relate to that level of totally needless risk-taking.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Sat Aug 22, 2009 at 01:41am.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
I just can't imagine a single benefit to going without one on the bases. A barely discernible degree of added comfort is worth risking one of the most painful injuries one can suffer on a diamond?? ... I simply don't relate to that level of totally needless risk-taking.
Others, however, do relate. It really simply is a risk-reward calculation. So some have made a choice based on their assessment of the risk (probability of occurrence) relative to the discomfort or whatever. We all make these choices every day in every aspect of our lives. Should I drive 60 instead of 55? The risk of death is higher at 60 than 45. Hell at 5 mph, its probably damn near impossible to die in a car wreck...

Everyone has his own subjective taste and preferences for things like risk. So it might also be more than "a sign of both stupidity and misplaced pride to go without a cup on the bases. " In fact, it likely is something else.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarilli View Post
Hell at 5 mph, its probably damn near impossible to die in a car wreck...
Unless, of course, the other car is doing 70.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Welllll as long as we are getting close up and personal. I started wearing compression pants this year with the cup holder sewn in. Couldn’t stand the feel of it. Seemed like I was always adjusting, if you know what I mean. Went back to the strap. Much better because it floats and yes I do wear one on the bases. I'll bet you my next game fee that Beltre does too.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarilli View Post
Others, however, do relate. It really simply is a risk-reward calculation. So some have made a choice based on their assessment of the risk (probability of occurrence) relative to the discomfort or whatever. We all make these choices every day in every aspect of our lives. Should I drive 60 instead of 55? The risk of death is higher at 60 than 45. Hell at 5 mph, its probably damn near impossible to die in a car wreck...

Everyone has his own subjective taste and preferences for things like risk. So it might also be more than "a sign of both stupidity and misplaced pride to go without a cup on the bases. " In fact, it likely is something else.
The risk is worth the reward. And the reward is ... ??

Equating it to doing something necessary like driving is specious as hell, but it was entertaining to read. Risk-reward calculation ... that's some funny stuff.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
The risk is worth the reward. And the reward is ... ??

Equating it to doing something necessary like driving is specious as hell, but it was entertaining to read. Risk-reward calculation ... that's some funny stuff.
He said the reward was not having to put up with the "discomfort or whatever".

The driving thing makes sense. If you drive faster you get there quicker but it is more dangerous. Some people wear smaller chest protectors which don't protect as well. They understand that the protection isn't as great as a West Vest model but they prefer one which is cooler and lighter. They don't think the extra protection is worth having to deal with the heavier and hotter chest protector.