Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
okay, we'll agree to disagree...it hit the bat though
Do you mean to suggest that different people can view the same incident and "see" different things!? Goodness, be careful.
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
That ball was not fouled off. It's pretty clear in the video that it never hit the bat. Should have been strike three.
So what your trying to say is that he checked his swing and the HPU got it wrong and corrected it after looking at the ball and conferring with the crew.

Now I didn't see it hit the bat either but, it didn't look like he got comfirmation about a checked swing.

Or maybe, the ball was complaining that it was not hit by the bat and the catcher let it get dirty by hitting the ground. The HPU was upset with the ball for causing such a stink and the crew decided to let the batter come back and try and smash the little bas###d to South America.

OOOORRR, the foul tip was not caught. HPU missed the trap of the ball and after conferring with the crew, corrected the call and brought the batter back to the plate.

Your Choice!
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
So what your trying to say is that he checked his swing and the HPU got it wrong and corrected it after looking at the ball and conferring with the crew.

Now I didn't see it hit the bat either but, it didn't look like he got comfirmation about a checked swing.

Or maybe, the ball was complaining that it was not hit by the bat and the catcher let it get dirty by hitting the ground. The HPU was upset with the ball for causing such a stink and the crew decided to let the batter come back and try and smash the little bas###d to South America.

OOOORRR, the foul tip was not caught. HPU missed the trap of the ball and after conferring with the crew, corrected the call and brought the batter back to the plate.

Your Choice!
I think the PU knew all along that he swung. I don't think that that was ever an issue. I think the PU originally thought that it was a foul tip, thus going straight into the glove. After Gardenhire argued and said that it hit the dirt first, the PU got help. The BUs told him that it hit the ground first, thus changing it to a foul ball. I don't think it ever hit his bat though, and should have been strike three instead.
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Well, in that case you just convinced me about how much easier it is to umpire from your couch.

Next year I am just going to call the coach and tell them to send me my check because I don't need to be present for tyhe game.

Now I know I am good, but, never in my wildest dreams, did I ever believe that I could be that good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Well, in that case you just convinced me about how much easier it is to umpire from your couch.
Never said that. Just said that they got this call wrong. It happens.

Quote:
Next year I am just going to call the coach and tell them to send me my check because I don't need to be present for tyhe game.
Good luck with that.

Quote:
Now I know I am good, but, never in my wildest dreams, did I ever believe that I could be that good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I doubt you are.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
Thank you for posting this. I was at the game sitting in CF (about 500' away, right at the end of the banner for those of you MNs) and I missed the initial call and then was really confused at what was happening.

Then I went home and tried to catch highlights but I guess MIN vs. CLE doesn't exist in the ESPN realm because they never showed any highlights. 3 hours of SportsCenter, 1.5 of Baseball Tonight, and not a single mention, of the ejection or 11-0, 2-hit shutout that was thrown by Scott Baker. WTF!?!? (Thanks for letting me rant a little bit.)
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 08:59am
Stop staring at me swan.

not sure what you watched Rube...I saw the highlights that night on espn...baseball tonight though...i don't think sportscenter
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump Rube View Post
Thank you for posting this. I was at the game sitting in CF (about 500' away, right at the end of the banner for those of you MNs) and I missed the initial call and then was really confused at what was happening.

Then I went home and tried to catch highlights but I guess MIN vs. CLE doesn't exist in the ESPN realm because they never showed any highlights. 3 hours of SportsCenter, 1.5 of Baseball Tonight, and not a single mention, of the ejection or 11-0, 2-hit shutout that was thrown by Scott Baker. WTF!?!? (Thanks for letting me rant a little bit.)
Sportscenter and Baseball Tonight always cover every single Major League Baseball game. I saw it on both, as well.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 12:24pm

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
not sure what you watched Rube...I saw the highlights that night on espn...baseball tonight though...i don't think sportscenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
Sportscenter and Baseball Tonight always cover every single Major League Baseball game. I saw it on both, as well.
Hey Rube, were you paying attention as much watching for the highlights as you were at the ballpark when it happened?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

I am not saying that I don't believe you all, it is just that there were multiple people that did not see the highlights, and all were at the game.

Were the highlights that people saw, "live" updates? And if they weren't was it just a short little 1-AB and lower 1/3 score?

And if I might rant a little more...
If this was any Yank or RSox they would have broken in to coverage to show the last inning of a 2-hit shutout.
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 01:17pm

Quote:
If this was any Yank or RSox they would have broken in to coverage to show the last inning of a 2-hit shutout.
Uh, no they wouldn't. Come on now Uncle Rube, you're telling stories again!

Not a 2-hitter. What's special about a 2-hitter? It may be the lead story on B.T., but they only break in for no-no's.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am not saying that I don't believe you all, it is just that there were multiple people that did not see the highlights, and all were at the game.

Were the highlights that people saw, "live" updates? And if they weren't was it just a short little 1-AB and lower 1/3 score?

And if I might rant a little more...

I remember seeing the highlights on Baseball Tonight 100% and I am almost as certain that they were on Sportscenter.

I have never seen Sportscenter or Baseball Tonight skip a game...not even a crap game like Padres vs Nationals or Padres vs anybody....

The reason the RedSox and the Yanks get more coverage is because more people care. The only exception is when they show Women's Basketball games and highlights...they do this to be politically correct, not because people care.

Fox execs would jump out of a window if they ended up with Colorado vs Minnesota World Series.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
@1:37 Wedge uses one of my favorite lines from when I role played as a manager when instructing at Jimmy's. "You're fuc*ing making sh1t up." Love that line.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
The BUs told him that it hit the ground first, thus changing it to a foul ball.
absolutely not. professional umpires do not conference on this type of thing. they either call it or they don't. and if they don't, it's not because they saw it was foul but aren't going to say anything, it's cuz they didn't think have it as foul. if ANY of the BUs had it hitting the bat and the ground, they would have immediately called it foul. therefore, the conference must have been about whatever bob saw on the ball when he inspected it.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck View Post
absolutely not. professional umpires do not conference on this type of thing. they either call it or they don't. and if they don't, it's not because they saw it was foul but aren't going to say anything, it's cuz they didn't think have it as foul. if ANY of the BUs had it hitting the bat and the ground, they would have immediately called it foul. .
This is should be the proper mechanic at the amateur level as well. It is in my games.