The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Weird Call and Ejection

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | CLE@MIN: Tribe skipper Wedge is ejected for arguing - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

The PU and MGR both got slightly upset.
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 08:00pm
Stop staring at me swan.

It was a weird call...they got it right though...Wedge must have wanted the night off. PU's mechanics on the play were odd...which is why there were so many questions I think.
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
It was a weird call...they got it right though...Wedge must have wanted the night off. PU's mechanics on the play were odd...which is why there were so many questions I think.
I still couldn't tell what the PU called originally. He asked for help, but didn't get any?

Called him out and then brought him back - ball hits ground?

Thanks
David
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 10:29pm
Stop staring at me swan.

It seemed like he called swinging strike three. Then asked for help on the check swing or maybe a foul tip/out. Yeah, he appeared to ask, then clapped his hands together and hammered Mourneau out. Gardy comes out, he goes to ask for help, then, gets is correct w/ the foul ball call. Wedge was expected to come out...but they got the play right.
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It seemed like he called swinging strike three. Then asked for help on the check swing or maybe a foul tip/out. Yeah, he appeared to ask, then clapped his hands together and hammered Mourneau out. Gardy comes out, he goes to ask for help, then, gets is correct w/ the foul ball call. Wedge was expected to come out...but they got the play right.
Yeah that makes sense now, he was calling a foul tip, but he looked at the ball to see it had dirt on it which made it a foul ball.

The batter knew it also since he never took his helmet off and was just kind of standing there waiting for them to get it right.

Davidson then kind of did his best Lou Pinella act. Must have been tired of the manager that day or something.

Thanks
David
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

The video played next meets the requirements for "weird call and ejection" as well. You MLB umpire haters will LOVE this one.

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=6116597
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Wow!!!!
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think he originally asked for help.
I've seen the clap (or sometimes bump your fists together) on a foul tip...so what I think he was signaling on the point was that the ball was caught before it hit the ground, then the clap was that it was tipped, followed by the out.
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
The video played next meets the requirements for "weird call and ejection" as well. You MLB umpire haters will LOVE this one.

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | WSH@CIN: Jacoby gets tossed before the third inning - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
I love it, HPU was very consistent with his call. The only problem was he didn't check the slo-mo after each play. Had Dusty thrown his pretty little flag out like he is supposed to, both these calls could have been reversed and the clock reset. I certainly hope neither of these players got boo-boos from being maliciously struck by the ball here. More importantly ,I hope their healthcare plan covers them for such catastrophic injuries also.
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 11:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
I love it, HPU was very consistent with his call.
Yes, he was consistent. Consistently wrong.*

*Had a coach tell me that once about my strike zone. Now seemed like a great time to use the line.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 12:13pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin View Post
I don't think he originally asked for help.
I've seen the clap (or sometimes bump your fists together) on a foul tip...so what I think he was signaling on the point was that the ball was caught before it hit the ground, then the clap was that it was tipped, followed by the out.

I've never seen or heard of it before...I kind of like it though...the foul tip mechanic reminds me of the basketball mechanic of a blocked shot...which I don't like. Thanks for the post...I learned something new today
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

That ball was not fouled off. It's pretty clear in the video that it never hit the bat. Should have been strike three.
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 01:44pm
Stop staring at me swan.

then you're not looking at the video close enough...it's a foul ball...it does deflect off of the bat into the ground. we have the advantage of a replay
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
then you're not looking at the video close enough...it's a foul ball...it does deflect off of the bat into the ground. we have the advantage of a replay
Sorry, I've watched it several times and I still didn't see it hit the bat at all. The pitch was in the dirt to begin with. The bat didn't cause it to go into the dirt.
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 02:10pm
Stop staring at me swan.

okay, we'll agree to disagree...it hit the bat though