The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Just watched the I think it was the Delaware, NH game. Im not up on all the baseball rules, but is not the rule in baseball the same as in softball, that if the batter/runner backs up toward home it is an immediate dead ball, out, all runners return to last base touched? If it is the same, call was blown in this game.
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 05:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Just watched the I think it was the Delaware, NH game. Im not up on all the baseball rules, but is not the rule in baseball the same as in softball, that if the batter/runner backs up toward home it is an immediate dead ball, out, all runners return to last base touched? If it is the same, call was blown in this game.
No, the batter-runner can retreat back as far as home plate. When he reaches home plate, he is called out and the ball is still alive. And the runners can advance. Retreating is a great strategy to make sure the other runners advance.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do not know about softball, but if the BR retreats all the way back to the plate and touches it or passes it, then he is out. The ball is live and all other runners advance at their own risk.

.......apparently SDS types faster than me.
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, gotcha, in softball its an immediate dead ball if batter retreats. Saw it happen and had to wonder because with 6 umps on the field they all would have had to miss it.
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok, gotcha, in softball its an immediate dead ball if batter retreats. Saw it happen and had to wonder because with 6 umps on the field they all would have had to miss it.
But with 6 indicators on the field you bet the count will be right.
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Light blue shirts, gray pants and 2 gray ball bags (Vermont vs RI). Looks terrible.
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

I thought gray ball bags always looked terrible.
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

The umps working Indiana/Kentucky are brutal.

It sure seems the quality of LL regional umpires has dropped from four - five years ago.
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran View Post
You are correct about the training.

Regional (and sometimes WS) umps are never "seen" before they get the assignments.

The"main" WS (12 y-o baseball) has been getting better, IMHO, because it's mandated that umps have to work a WS at another level before they go to W-port. At least these people get vetted somehow.

I was in Bristol yesterday and saw some sharp umps and more than my share of Smitties.

Ace
Ace...are you sure on that. I've been away from LLBB for four years now, and when I wa slast involved in the whole process of applying for LL regional/WS assignments the criteria for any LLWS assignment was you had to work a regional (plus have attended one of the LL umpire schools). This applied for for Wmsprt. also.
Please let me know if the criteria has changed. I'm just curious. I did my regional (Bristol) enjoyed the heck out of it....but my LL days, for now anyway, are behind me.
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I watched some of the regional between the two Texas teams last night. I chuckled at the base umpires all with indicators. Also, six umpires is way too many for that size of a field. Four is more than enough. I suppose they don't want any of them to rotate, so six limits that.

The PU giving the foul tip mechanic on a foul ball was odd too. Also, he was still moving down and locking in a LOT when the pitch was almost in the catcher's glove.
The LL regional umpiring staff assigns six so ALL the umps who worked the regional can get on ESPN.
I know it's overkill..but it's a nice perk for your week's work and takes the regional staff off the hook from having to tell two guys that they're not going to be on TV.
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, from the box score at Waco, it looks like they assigned all eight. Two outfield umps got three innings and then two others got the last three.
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Does Little League post their ejection videos online? I'm surprised we haven't seen our daily overdose of ejection videos from the Road To Williamsport tournament.
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
Actually, from the box score at Waco, it looks like they assigned all eight. Two outfield umps got three innings and then two others got the last three.
Does this look similar to musical chairs?

Why not rotate everyone between innings? The two not on the field can suit up for the plate.
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 02:15pm
In Time Out

they do, at least for the most part, seem to be on the meal plan...
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
That's not true out West here. The guy who has the dish for this evenings NW game is a guy who I've worked with for years. He's been seen by the WR guys for a very long time now. When we'd go out to do sectional and division games the WR guys would be there taking notes. Plus, he's been an instructor at San Bernadino. They know some of these guys quite well. Plus, I can almost assure you that all these guys have been through the one week school, so they'll get a lookover there too.

Kyle
I thought he did a sharp job, too. All regions should do it this way.

Ace