The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 09, 2009, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Bud Black EJ

I think bud had a great argument here... even though get guy gets thrown more than anyone else...

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | Black and Colbert are ejected arguing a lineup change - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Old Sun Aug 09, 2009, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

what happened?
Old Sun Aug 09, 2009, 11:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
I think bud had a great argument here... even though get guy gets thrown more than anyone else...

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | Black and Colbert are ejected arguing a lineup change - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Wow, what's with the old video from last year? Bud was ejected last night because Barksdale blew a call big time. It's not like Black gets thrown out all that often. If you have to resort to pulling up a video from last season, that doesn't help your case. Let's see, I believe Bobby Cox and Ron Gardenhire get kicked out about twice as often as Black does.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Aug 10, 2009, 04:52am
Official Forum Member

Bud Black is on a very short list of the best guys in baseball over the last 25 years. Ask most everyone who played or coached with him. Class guy.
Old Mon Aug 10, 2009, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Wow, what's with the old video from last year? Bud was ejected last night because Barksdale blew a call big time. It's not like Black gets thrown out all that often. If you have to resort to pulling up a video from last season, that doesn't help your case. Let's see, I believe Bobby Cox and Ron Gardenhire get kicked out about twice as often as Black does.
ok what about this one then Steve.... Cox again, but look at the PU signal for a strike.. then he takes it away...

Old Mon Aug 10, 2009, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

this is the video.. PU says runner missed home...

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | NYN@SD: Black is ejected arguing a play at the plate - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Old Mon Aug 10, 2009, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As a MLB manager, there are times when you need to stick up for your players to the point of getting tossed. He had to get run to make his point on this terrible call. No way can you come back to the dugout after your player touches the plate like that.
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 02:02am

Quote:
Black got run. I would have gotten run too if Barksdale made a call like that and I was the manager. It was brutal! Jeez, the umpires suck sometimes....so what?

I kick a call once in a while too, it's just not spread all over the Internet. I've blown calls and been booed and thought to myself that if I were a fan right now I'd be booing me too!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

I'm sorry to everyone who feels that MLB umpires are without fault, but that may have been the worst call I have ever seen. There is no excuse. There was no reason to miss it. What on Earth did this guy see? Maybe he blinked.
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
I'm sorry to everyone who feels that MLB umpires are without fault, but that may have been the worst call I have ever seen. There is no excuse. There was no reason to miss it. What on Earth did this guy see? Maybe he blinked.
If you are referring to the Barksdale play, the only thing I can guess is the runner's body blocked his view. He didn't get fully 3BLX and wasn't 1BLX so I think he chose a bad angle. And, by that angle, did not have the best look at the whole play. That is my only guess and only he knows for sure.
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

So it's worse than I originally stated.
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 09:22am
Stop staring at me swan.

Yeah, he missed it...rather badly...oh well...he's probably reviewed the play 100 times and won't make the error again if he can help it.
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

If the runner did block his view of the plate that's fine, S@#$ happens. But you can't assume a miss, if that were the case. That's the bad part. If you can't see it, you HAVE to assume that he touched it.
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sorry, but how do you miss that one?
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 04:04pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Poor or incorrect angle IMO...he obviously decided no touch at the moment which he chose to not call him safe. Yeah, it's a pretty bad miss. I guess we call it the human element. Some ground balls still 5-hole a gold glove shortstop yet we don't hammer him into the ground for missing a ground ball that most little leaguers can field.

Not intending to be confrontational at all Kevin...just talking with you...but I think we've probably all missed ones that we shouldn't have missed. I will speak for myself...I have missed ones like this...not at the dish, but on the bases and I've become a better umpire because of it.

Your thoughts?