The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Bud Black EJ (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/54273-bud-black-ej.html)

Umpmazza Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:17pm

Bud Black EJ

I think bud had a great argument here... even though get guy gets thrown more than anyone else...

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | Black and Colbert are ejected arguing a lineup change - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

bossman72 Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:22pm

what happened?

SanDiegoSteve Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umpmazza (Post 619756)
I think bud had a great argument here... even though get guy gets thrown more than anyone else...

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | Black and Colbert are ejected arguing a lineup change - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Wow, what's with the old video from last year? Bud was ejected last night because Barksdale blew a call big time. It's not like Black gets thrown out all that often. If you have to resort to pulling up a video from last season, that doesn't help your case. Let's see, I believe Bobby Cox and Ron Gardenhire get kicked out about twice as often as Black does.

Kevin Finnerty Mon Aug 10, 2009 04:52am

Bud Black is on a very short list of the best guys in baseball over the last 25 years. Ask most everyone who played or coached with him. Class guy.

Umpmazza Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 619759)
Wow, what's with the old video from last year? Bud was ejected last night because Barksdale blew a call big time. It's not like Black gets thrown out all that often. If you have to resort to pulling up a video from last season, that doesn't help your case. Let's see, I believe Bobby Cox and Ron Gardenhire get kicked out about twice as often as Black does.

ok what about this one then Steve.... Cox again, but look at the PU signal for a strike.. then he takes it away...

Umpmazza Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:34pm

this is the video.. PU says runner missed home...

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | NYN@SD: Black is ejected arguing a play at the plate - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

kylejt Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umpmazza (Post 619863)

As a MLB manager, there are times when you need to stick up for your players to the point of getting tossed. He had to get run to make his point on this terrible call. No way can you come back to the dugout after your player touches the plate like that.

SanDiegoSteve Tue Aug 11, 2009 02:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umpmazza (Post 619863)

Black got run. I would have gotten run too if Barksdale made a call like that and I was the manager. It was brutal! Jeez, the umpires suck sometimes....so what?

I kick a call once in a while too, it's just not spread all over the Internet. I've blown calls and been booed and thought to myself that if I were a fan right now I'd be booing me too!

Kevin Finnerty Tue Aug 11, 2009 08:48am

I'm sorry to everyone who feels that MLB umpires are without fault, but that may have been the worst call I have ever seen. There is no excuse. There was no reason to miss it. What on Earth did this guy see? Maybe he blinked.

GA Umpire Tue Aug 11, 2009 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 619888)
I'm sorry to everyone who feels that MLB umpires are without fault, but that may have been the worst call I have ever seen. There is no excuse. There was no reason to miss it. What on Earth did this guy see? Maybe he blinked.

If you are referring to the Barksdale play, the only thing I can guess is the runner's body blocked his view. He didn't get fully 3BLX and wasn't 1BLX so I think he chose a bad angle. And, by that angle, did not have the best look at the whole play. That is my only guess and only he knows for sure.

Kevin Finnerty Tue Aug 11, 2009 09:16am

So it's worse than I originally stated.

johnnyg08 Tue Aug 11, 2009 09:22am

Yeah, he missed it...rather badly...oh well...he's probably reviewed the play 100 times and won't make the error again if he can help it.

kylejt Tue Aug 11, 2009 01:30pm

If the runner did block his view of the plate that's fine, S@#$ happens. But you can't assume a miss, if that were the case. That's the bad part. If you can't see it, you HAVE to assume that he touched it.

Kevin Finnerty Tue Aug 11, 2009 03:44pm

I'm sorry, but how do you miss that one?

johnnyg08 Tue Aug 11, 2009 04:04pm

Poor or incorrect angle IMO...he obviously decided no touch at the moment which he chose to not call him safe. Yeah, it's a pretty bad miss. I guess we call it the human element. Some ground balls still 5-hole a gold glove shortstop yet we don't hammer him into the ground for missing a ground ball that most little leaguers can field.

Not intending to be confrontational at all Kevin...just talking with you...but I think we've probably all missed ones that we shouldn't have missed. I will speak for myself...I have missed ones like this...not at the dish, but on the bases and I've become a better umpire because of it.

Your thoughts?