The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Why does U2 need to go behind the mound in this situation? His play is at 2nd base.
I agree that he doesn't need to go behind the mound, but he needs to get on the 1st base side of the cut out no doubt. He has R1 all the way into second, possible OBS/INT, a tag, a force, basepath violation, etc.

I wouldn't want to be hanging out in the baseline for all that...
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

If we are all still refering to the original OP, the defense is playing in, we are behind them, close to or on the baseline, preferably in the "deep B" position. Since the D is in, any ball to the infielders that is fielded cleanly is more than likely going to go home, then possibly to 1st for the DP. If the ball is muffed, the play will likely go to first. If the ball stays in the infield, there is no reason for U2 to "bust in to the working area." There will be no rotations so the only responsibility U2 has is at 2nd base. Since all of the action is originating in front of him, it is acceptable, and easier, to position himself outside the basepath for any possible play and looking for R1 to touch 2nd. That way, you are not crossing paths with any infielder going back. If, for any reason, the ball happens to end up in the outfield on an overthrow, you can then come into the cutout area for any subsequent play. I could see myself going into the cutout area on the secondary throw to 1st on the DP, after R1 has rounded, all the while keeping my eye on the ball.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 11:00am
Get away from me, Steve.

It is possible to take any play at second from behind. Most ML umpires do just this now on clean hits where the BR tries to stretch it into a double.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why does U2 need to go behind the mound in this situation? His play is at 2nd base.
Ding, ding, ding, ding.....we have a winner,

Are you paying attention cc6?
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 02:50pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Super Deep C is sometimes referred to as position F. They use F in TASO mechanics, for example.

E is U2's position in the outfield with no runners, and F is an optional position which is straight back from C, and toward the outfield side of the dirt about the same distance from 2nd base.
I have never heard of a position F.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
I have never heard of a position F.
And?
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agreed. It was Briancurtin who originally said that after the second baseman goes for the ball he will go from super deep B into the working area. I'm not sure an umpire can move that fast. This is his post:

Quote:
I had this situation twice last night in a 4-man. I was in the base path like what you described...super deep B. If F4 goes up the middle, I'm behind him and can take a quick step to my left to clear him, then get into the working area once he goes for the ball.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
It is possible to take any play at second from behind. Most ML umpires do just this now on clean hits where the BR tries to stretch it into a double.
Rich:

Do you think they take the play from behind is based off the angle that the play originates at the base??

In other words, could a play coming in from right field dictate a position that is on the CF side of 2nd base, but a play coming from F5 on a force may require a look from the cut out and not from that same angle?

I'm just not so sure "any play" at second can be taken from behind as you said. Some, for sure.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

U2 would be inside on a play from F5.